Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: GT: Raptors vs Timberwolves

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Even the out of timeout plays weren't as bad as usual. And his sub patterns made sense.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Too bad Rubio missed the second, I was looking forward to a sweet game winner

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jonas had a pretty solid game. Rebounds are low, but it wasn't for a lack of activity. Just couldn't seem to get his hands on them.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gay and Demar had almost identical lines...fitting since they both scored in the post all night.

  5. #25
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know we've seen the redundancy in Gay/Derozan, but this was a game where you could argue you need to two wing players that can score regardless of how, and the way.

    Demar took advantage of the smaller player tonight, and he was aggressive at the end of the game. Rudy was a lot more impressive, because he took Cunningham and Kirilenko to school, and those two are about as lengthy players as Gay is, not to mention Kirilenko is one of the better defenders in the NBA, and has been in the last decade.

    You know what I'd love to hear/see? Rudy and Demar come into next season, and vow they will stay put, and do their work in the post/inside, similar to what Wade and James did last season. These two are obviously very, very effective with their backs to the basket, or working their game within the mid-range, not from the outside.

  6. Like white men can't jump liked this post
  7. #26
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I know we've seen the redundancy in Gay/Derozan, but this was a game where you could argue you need to two wing players that can score regardless of how, and the way.

    Demar took advantage of the smaller player tonight, and he was aggressive at the end of the game. Rudy was a lot more impressive, because he took Cunningham and Kirilenko to school, and those two are about as lengthy players as Gay is, not to mention Kirilenko is one of the better defenders in the NBA, and has been in the last decade.

    You know what I'd love to hear/see? Rudy and Demar come into next season, and vow they will stay put, and do their work in the post/inside, similar to what Wade and James did last season. These two are obviously very, very effective with their backs to the basket, or working their game within the mid-range, not from the outside.
    Though I somehow doubt we'll see that. I just hope Demar can add that corner 3. Otherwise it's hard to see a long-term fit with both. We'll see though. Gay has to shoot better too. Shooting could still generally be a big problem....sigh

  8. #27
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The problem is Demar has struggled to be effective against pesky/strong defenders. Tonight Kirilenko was busy with Gay, so Demar's toughest opponent was Budinger, who has decent size but is not a great defender. He also got to eat up Ridnour.

    Gay just needs to decide to do this more. He can be effective against anyone when he initiates a lot of his game in the post. He was killing Kirilenko at times, and that's not an easy task.

  9. #28
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    The problem is Demar has struggled to be effective against pesky/strong defenders. Tonight Kirilenko was busy with Gay, so Demar's toughest opponent was Budinger, who has decent size but is not a great defender. He also got to eat up Ridnour.

    Gay just needs to decide to do this more. He can be effective against anyone when he initiates a lot of his game in the post. He was killing Kirilenko at times, and that's not an easy task.
    Rudy Gay's shooting from the outside has improved in the last couple, and I personally think Demar's mid-ranged game is enough for him to get by on the post, with the ever odd outside shot; see Dwayne Wade.

    I think the key things Gay and Derozan NEED to improve on BOTH as a duo is:

    - ball-handling
    - strength
    - mentality to stay inside

    With that, they'll be able to actually work against teams that have two capable wing defenders i.e Memphis, Miami, Boston.

  10. #29
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Rudy Gay's shooting from the outside has improved in the last couple, and I personally think Demar's mid-ranged game is enough for him to get by on the post, with the ever odd outside shot; see Dwayne Wade.

    I think the key things Gay and Derozan NEED to improve on BOTH as a duo is:

    - ball-handling
    - strength
    - mentality to stay inside

    With that, they'll be able to actually work against teams that have two capable wing defenders i.e Memphis, Miami, Boston.
    Still though, with JV and Amir on the floor, that's 4 of your players mostly effective working from inside the 3 pt line. That's not easy to work with in terms of creating space.

    *Minnesota's team D was/is quite poor.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 5th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.

  11. #30
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nice to see Ross nail an open 3 tonight man loved DeMars game tonight. When JV can hit back against bigs like Peko he will be so dangerous on every given night.

    To repeat what ive been saying all season since the trade the tandem of Gay, DeRozan and Ross on the wings is going to be special.

  12. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Noticed that Pek got some new tats on his forearm, nice.

  13. #32
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Nice to see Ross nail an open 3 tonight man loved DeMars game tonight. When JV can hit back against bigs like Peko he will be so dangerous on every given night.

    To repeat what ive been saying all season since the trade the tandem of Gay, DeRozan and Ross on the wings is going to be special.
    Not to mention his dunk, which was filthy. Top 10 tomorrow!
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

    Twitter - @thekid_it

  14. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Missed the game. But i gotta check out the Ross dunk that everyone's talking about.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

  15. #34
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Telfair is a fine 3rd option guard. get Lucas out of town keep Telfair around.

  16. #35
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Missed the game. But i gotta check out the Ross dunk that everyone's talking about.


    Here ya go.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

    Twitter - @thekid_it

  17. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
  18. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/dem...n-april-5-2013

    Lol DeMar "I personally think Im a way better post up player than Rudy.....definitely" *insert Rudy videobomb lol I love it when the team gets along well.

  19. #37
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/dem...n-april-5-2013

    Lol DeMar "I personally think Im a way better post up player than Rudy.....definitely" *insert Rudy videobomb lol I love it when the team gets along well.
    Yeah, I get what you are saying about teams and teammates getting along.....

    But the cynical side of me is thinking: you are a 29 win team with 6 games remaining and since "the trade" you guys are 12-17.... why are you smiling and joking?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  20. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I get what you are saying about teams and teammates getting along.....

    But the cynical side of me is thinking: you are a 29 win team with 6 games remaining and since "the trade" you guys are 12-17.... why are you smiling and joking?
    Come on Matt, they just won a game on the road. Even for a bad team, if they can't take some time to joke after a decent win, then they'll all be suicidal by season's end

  21. #39
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ACtually, I think oddly enough it might bug me more if they were a really good team. Really good teams are rarely joking and cocky, because it's just routine for them, so they don't get too happy or excited after a win. For a bad team, it's like a much needed breath of fresh air. Kind of ridiculous to celebrate (like you say what is a bad team happy about?), but meh, I don't mind it.

  22. #40
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    First game I have seen in a week as I was on vacation.

    Flying home last night actually watched the game live on the plane. My wife gave me a huge elbow in the ribs when Ross did the dunk as I let out a magnified due to headphones laughing "Jesus!" that echoed throughout the cabin. Whoops. Great dunk though.


    A couple of things that stuck out for me last night:

    1) nice to see more post ups for DeMar and Rudy. Matchups played a part, especially for DeRozan, but Rudy should be posting up more. I'm not sure there is a SF in the league with his length.

    2) DeMar really does not like passing to JV.... like at all.

    3) Casey criticizing time: the play at around 7:30 in the 3rd quarter. Raps have fallen behind 61-50, I believe, time out called. The play out of the time out is a 21 foot jump shot for DeMar. FUCK MAN! You need points to stop the momentum and you are settling for a 21 foot jump shot? This was a set play!!?!??!!? C'mon, man. Seriously? How about a post up? How about attacking the rim? The shot did miss by the way but even if it had gone in, not the play I want run in that situation.


    If you watched Minnesota's O versus Toronto's the difference, besides Rubio being an incredible passer, is the Wolves play north-south while Toronto plays east-west i.e. Toronto consistently plays for set jump shots. Casey doesn't run a system, he runs set plays. Me, I am more of a system guy. Don't get me wrong, you need sets too but all Toronto's sets end in a jump shot, sets don't need to always be for a jumper.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •