View Poll Results: Who will not return next season?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Landry Fields

6 21.43%
  • Terrence Ross

7 25.00%
  • DeMar DeRozan

15 53.57%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SGs: Who will not return next season?

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    You will need to kidnap someones kids to get that deal done.
    Probably, but with the potential to play Rubio - Demar - Kirilenko - Love - Pekovic, I would do it!
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Voted for Ross, because i think if Colangelo's option is picked up for a year, he's gonna panic again and force a move to trade a young asset for and an overpaid overrated vet.

My opinion however is that all 3 should be back, and we need to move gay instead, fields 2nd, but i dont think many teams are lining up for those contracts.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Probably, but with the potential to play Rubio - Demar - Kirilenko - Love - Pekovic, I would do it!
    I would definitely do it if I was Minnesota.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread has no answer the one that should be moved is Fields but his contract is unfriendly in trades at least until 2015. DeMar and Ross are the future, with Gay leading them.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    You will need to kidnap someones kids to get that deal done.
    I don't necessarily believe what comes next but here is an eternal optimist point of view on why DeRozan might actually yield a lottery pick, backup PG, and Williams.

Pick: "horrible" draft from all accounts. There are decent players available but no one is sure who. All are hit or miss prospects. DeRozan is a known, and still young, commodity.

Backup PG: Minnesota has 4 players all capable of playing PG - it is a definite area of strength for them. I would think Barea or Ridnour would be available and would personally think Barea would be more desired to part with from Minny's side as he is owed more money and an extra year.

Williams: Has been on the trade block since before he was drafted. Never wanted in Minnesota just happened to be best or highest rated player available when they selected. Low trade value around the league.

Why Ownership? A winning team increases value. Taylor has been looking for a sale partner for a couple of years. Winning team = more fans (unless you are in Atlanta.... or Indiana). Years of losing.

Why GM? Looking to save his bum, needs to win yesterday. DeRozan fills a need for them especially with Love stretching the floor and Rubio creating. Speaking of Love, he is able to opt out in 2 seasons time. Not a lot of time to develop a raw rookie.

Why Coach? Adelman is not up for losing especially with sick wife.

Maybe Toronto throws in the 2nd rd pick from 2014 they have?

While I am not opposed to trading DeRozan, a back up PG and Williams does not seem like a fair deal - especially when dealing with a team that have reportedly had interest in him and fills a need for them.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

When you consider trade value Demar has the best(trade value). Ross hasn't proved much so far but has the talent and potential to take Demar's place in the starting line up. So if necessary, he can. It makes sense to trade Demar. Demar for Millsap(S & T) is totally fair IMO. In different positions, they're equally talented.

I'm not in favour of dealing him to Minnesota 'cause as talented as D Williams is, he hasn't proved much in the NBA. This means that Raps. could get stuck with two back-up PF's. Besides it's looking unlikely we'll draft this year.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    When you consider trade value Demar has the best(trade value). Ross hasn't proved much so far but has the talent and potential to take Demar's place in the starting line up. So if necessary, he can. It makes sense to trade Demar. Demar for Millsap(S & T) is totally fair IMO. In different positions, they're equally talented.

I'm not in favour of dealing him to Minnesota 'cause as talented as D Williams is, he hasn't proved much in the NBA. This means that Raps. could get stuck with two back-up PF's. Besides it's looking unlikely we'll draft this year.
    Ok, first off, I didn't vote, because I'm not convinced BC will be able to pull off the kind of trade I'm ok with.

On Demar for Millsap...I understand why people want to do it, but the bold is exactly why I don't. This team currently does not have enough talent to seriously consider itself a threat. Getting Millsap would probably create better roster balance, but on a team for which .500 ball would be a huge step forward, I'm not sure how important that is right now. I want to keep Demar, since he is very obviously the best trade chip the team has (partly because of expendability) until the team can use him not just to fill a hole, but upgrade talent.

I bolded Minnesota because I also wouldn't do the deal people are talking about here. BUT, with Kevin Love having a tough season with some press that's hardly positive, it is a situation I'd keep an eye on for that legit talent upgrade the team still needs. For example, a deal that starts with Bargs + Demar + 1 or 2 1st rd picks for Love + Ridnour + filler. Very longshot, but Minny does need a SG very badly, and if Love wants to go, Bargnani is a cheap 2-year replacement. Throw a small market team a couple of barely protected 1st rounders and I think that deal gets done. Another situation I'd keep my eye on is Boston, where if KG retires and next season doesn't start so well, I'd want Demar available to shop for a guy like Rondo (or possibly another star PG if one becomes available).

Basically, I don't see the need to trade a shooting guard because we have depth there and holes elsewhere. I only see a "need" to trade if it is to upgrade talent, in which case Demar seems like the logical first building block of any such deal.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Ok, first off, I didn't vote, because I'm not convinced BC will be able to pull off the kind of trade I'm ok with.

On Demar for Millsap...I understand why people want to do it, but the bold is exactly why I don't. This team currently does not have enough talent to seriously consider itself a threat. Getting Millsap would probably create better roster balance, but on a team for which .500 ball would be a huge step forward, I'm not sure how important that is right now. I want to keep Demar, since he is very obviously the best trade chip the team has (partly because of expendability) until the team can use him not just to fill a hole, but upgrade talent.

I bolded Minnesota because I also wouldn't do the deal people are talking about here. BUT, with Kevin Love having a tough season with some press that's hardly positive, it is a situation I'd keep an eye on for that legit talent upgrade the team still needs. For example, a deal that starts with Bargs + Demar + 1 or 2 1st rd picks for Love + Ridnour + filler. Very longshot, but Minny does need a SG very badly, and if Love wants to go, Bargnani is a cheap 2-year replacement. Throw a small market team a couple of barely protected 1st rounders and I think that deal gets done. Another situation I'd keep my eye on is Boston, where if KG retires and next season doesn't start so well, I'd want Demar available to shop for a guy like Rondo (or possibly another star PG if one becomes available).

Basically, I don't see the need to trade a shooting guard because we have depth there and holes elsewhere. I only see a "need" to trade if it is to upgrade talent, in which case Demar seems like the logical first building block of any such deal.
    I've often heard that Rondo has an attitude problem and is hard to coach. Not sure if it is true and I don't have a source unfortunatley, but I think the only thing that has kept him in line are the all-stars and future HOF's KG and PP, and Doc too I suppose. I know Rondo was just an example but I wouldn't take a chance on him because we don't have anyone more talented and experienced that can keep him in his place. He is incredibly talented though.

Post Thanks / Like

As for the thread topic, I believe all 3 will be back unless one has to be packaged with Bargs. I'm willing to get rid of Bargs for nothing, but if one of the wings is included I'd like to see something good come back. I'd also like to see what TR can do with consistent minutes. Fields strenghts are DD's weaknesses, and we already have a player with DD's strenghts (Gay), so I guess if I had to pick it would be DeRozan that gets moved. I don't really like it because I'm a DD fan, but if it improves the team going forward I'll support it.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I've often heard that Rondo has an attitude problem and is hard to coach. Not sure if it is true and I don't have a source unfortunatley, but I think the only thing that has kept him in line are the all-stars and future HOF's KG and PP, and Doc too I suppose. I know Rondo was just an example but I wouldn't take a chance on him because we don't have anyone more talented and experienced that can keep him in his place. He is incredibly talented though.
    I think you roll the dice. Lowry had the same issues, but Lowry has never led a team to a championship. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Rondo 10 out of 10 times.

From what I have heard about Rondo, his attitude problem has much to do with his competitive spirit. He is a very intense competitor who always wants to win. His body language and demeanor on the court are much better than Lowry's most games. In my mind, JV would have to be the positive voice to offset him if he's a bit much. I think that's already pretty obvious with JV, that he exudes positivity that should spread to his teammates as he grows into one of the leaders. Really, I don't think the attitude of a PG can be that bad if he has led his team to multiple finals appearances. And again, comparing two guys with similar perceived issues, I'll always take the one with far more talent/success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I think you roll the dice. Lowry had the same issues, but Lowry has never led a team to a championship. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Rondo 10 out of 10 times.

From what I have heard about Rondo, his attitude problem has much to do with his competitive spirit. He is a very intense competitor who always wants to win. His body language and demeanor on the court are much better than Lowry's most games. In my mind, JV would have to be the positive voice to offset him if he's a bit much. I think that's already pretty obvious with JV, that he exudes positivity that should spread to his teammates as he grows into one of the leaders. Really, I don't think the attitude of a PG can be that bad if he has led his team to multiple finals appearances. And again, comparing two guys with similar perceived issues, I'll always take the one with far more talent/success.
    Good points, but I'm not sure Rondo would listen to JV. Either way, if Rondo did come here, we should let him do his thing as opposed to having him change his game like we are doing with Lowry. He does some amazing things on the court, blows my mind. I just fear he would try and win games himself, and maybe not trust his teammates like he has in Boston. Nonetheless, he would be hard to resist, and if it didn't work out he would be easily movable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post

A back up PG and Williams is not enough for DeMar.

I'm trying to be realistic here. Not sure if I am succeeding.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

The Ross hate on the board is mind boggling.

Dude has all-star potential if he's coached properly.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post

The DeMar and Casey hate on this forum is mind boggling.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    A back up PG and Williams is not enough for DeMar.

I'm trying to be realistic here. Not sure if I am succeeding.
    I'm just not sure. It's really hard to say what Demar's worth at this moment. Yes, he's a near 20ppg scorer. But if I'm Minnesota, I look at this trade and say, do I really want to be paying a shooting guard who can't shoot and can't defend 10 mil a year? If I'm them, I'd much much rather roll the dice with a guard on a rookie scale contract and see if he can step in and contribute.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When you think about his potential, the difference between his ceiling/basement as a player can seem to be vast. All-Star? Maaaaaybe. Absolute best-case scenario. But on the flip-side, he's already shown an awful tendency to disappear for stretches, and to just fall asleep at inexcusable times (i.e. leave Ray Allen open for multiple open threes). This is what the haters are jumping onto.

All I know is after the Bargnani experience, I'm really tired of dealing with players like this. Do I want him gone? No. I voted for Demar. But I'm certainly not hoping/expecting/wishing for Ross to be an All-Star.

17. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally hope all three are back. They all need some improvment (demar and landry outside shooting, ross consistancy and less stupid mistakes like jumping at pump fakes.) But i think all 3 and great for this team they all bring different aspects and can play different positions as well. I think Ross needs another full year of development getting consistant minutes off the bench and an offseason (maybe two) of work before we hand him the reins to a starting job because hes not ready.

If we had to trade someone i would hope its (in this order.) Landy, ross, demar. however i do believe they can co exist.

19. Like p00ka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was inclined I would go back to January when he got some burn and everyone was on the other extreme end of the discussion.

I am not sure about All-Star but I see a very good 6th man at worst for him. If the Raps actually had some motion and ball movement in their offense I am sure he'd be open for set 3's versus the curling catch and shoot type he often takes.

What I love most about Ross is he just about ALWAYS looks to dunk on a drive. If DeMar did that the same way Ross does, DD would be an All-Star by now.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Burnit482 wrote: View Post
    I personally hope all three are back. They all need some improvment (demar and landry outside shooting, ross consistancy and less stupid mistakes like jumping at pump fakes.) But i think all 3 and great for this team they all bring different aspects and can play different positions as well. I think Ross needs another full year of development getting consistant minutes off the bench and an offseason (maybe two) of work before we hand him the reins to a starting job because hes not ready.

If we had to trade someone i would hope its (in this order.) Landy, ross, demar. however i do believe they can co exist.
    The problem is throwing in Gay.

The Raps have nearly 2/3's of their cap space tied up in Fields, Ross, DeRozan, and Gay.

Something has to give.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If I was inclined I would go back to January when he got some burn and everyone was on the other extreme end of the discussion.

I am not sure about All-Star but I see a very good 6th man at worst for him. If the Raps actually had some motion and ball movement in their offense I am sure he'd be open for set 3's versus the curling catch and shoot type he often takes.

What I love most about Ross is he just about ALWAYS looks to dunk on a drive. If DeMar did that the same way Ross does, DD would be an All-Star by now.
    Classic example from last night:

Had that been DeMar, we would've seen some sort of wonky finger roll.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information