No announcement yet.

SGs: Who will not return next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derrick Williams is in Basketball limbo his skillset is so limited and how about an option for all 3 will be back. Derozan is my favorite rap and imo he doesnt deserve to be traded, I dont see Fields as a long term answer to anything especially with that money...

Why does DeMar or Terrence have to be axed? got a good thing here on the wings.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
      Why do people insist on referring to Fields as a SG? For starters, he started his NBA career as a SF where he did very well as a rookie, and wasn't pushed to an unfamiliar position of SG until Melo showed up and they really didn't have a SG. He was never brought in here as a SG, but as a SF, and his skills have shown him to be far more apt to play SF and small ball PF, which is how he's being used. Why continue to call him a SG???

Regardless of position designation, all three will be back. Whoever else is added to the roster, next year will be about JV, Amir, Gay, Fields, DD, Ross, Lowry coming together as a TEAM that knows each other and works well together.
      He was always SG in NY.

Prior to Carmelo in NY he was paired with Wilson Chandler.

It does not mean much but Basketball-Reference has him listed as SG from the 2010-11 Knicks team as well as 2011-12 while Chandler was the SF while in 2009-10 Chandler was listed as the SG.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        Derrick Williams is in Basketball limbo his skillset is so limited and how about an option for all 3 will be back. Derozan is my favorite rap and imo he doesnt deserve to be traded, I dont see Fields as a long term answer to anything especially with that money...

Why does DeMar or Terrence have to be axed? got a good thing here on the wings.
        Because DD, TR, LF, and RG make up 62% of the salary cap next year with glaring holes at PG and PF/C.

Something has to give.

Ways to improve are draft, free agency, and trades.

Toronto has no picks and no cap space.

Other than MLE and trade, the Raptors have no means to improve. A team that will win at the absolute most 35 games this season (and that assumes they win all 6 remaining games) can't rest on or believe in the idea of the underlined.

Comment

Demar Derozan to Minnesota for Derrick Williams, Ridnour, and the #9 overall pick in a weak draft.

Basically, we solve all our problems in one trade. Bettered the PF and PG positions, and our bench can now finally handle themselves. Diffused salaries into a rookie contract, and two 4 mil/yr contracts.

The top 9 guys to draft are:

1 Nerlens Noel C
          18 years old; 6'11"; 216 lbs.

2 Ben McLemore SG
          20 years old; 6'4"; 195 lbs.

3 Marcus Smart PG
          19 years old; 6'4"; 200 lbs.

4 Anthony Bennett PF
          20 years old; 6'7"; 239 lbs.

5 Victor Oladipo SG/SF
          20 years old; 6'5"; 210 lbs.

6 Cody Zeller C
          20 years old; 7'0"; 240 lbs.

7 Trey Burke PG
          20 years old; 6'0"; 180 lbs.

8 Otto Porter SF
          19 years old; 6'8"; 200 lbs.

9 Shabazz Muhammad SF
          20 years old; 6'6"; 223 lbs.

Replacing Demars SG position, is one of these players: Shabazz, Oladipo, Mclemore
          Other interests to draft: Burke, Zeller, Bennett, Smart

We can start imagining Zeller - JV Front lines, or Shabazz - Gay - Ross at our wings.

We also still have Bargnani to trade, and grabbing Spencer Hawes to back up JV would be optimal.
          Overall I want to see us draft Muhammad, and for us to play this lineup:

Lowry, Ridnour,
          Shabazz, Ross
          Gay, Fields,
          Amir, Williams, Acy
          JV, Hawes

Minnesota gets a rising star with high potential a reasonable contract, while we up our flexibility and strengthen our bench.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

You will need to kidnap someones kids to get that deal done.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              Probably, but with the potential to play Rubio - Demar - Kirilenko - Love - Pekovic, I would do it!
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Voted for Ross, because i think if Colangelo's option is picked up for a year, he's gonna panic again and force a move to trade a young asset for and an overpaid overrated vet.

My opinion however is that all 3 should be back, and we need to move gay instead, fields 2nd, but i dont think many teams are lining up for those contracts.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  Probably, but with the potential to play Rubio - Demar - Kirilenko - Love - Pekovic, I would do it!
                  I would definitely do it if I was Minnesota.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

This thread has no answer the one that should be moved is Fields but his contract is unfriendly in trades at least until 2015. DeMar and Ross are the future, with Gay leading them.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                      I don't necessarily believe what comes next but here is an eternal optimist point of view on why DeRozan might actually yield a lottery pick, backup PG, and Williams.

Pick: "horrible" draft from all accounts. There are decent players available but no one is sure who. All are hit or miss prospects. DeRozan is a known, and still young, commodity.

Backup PG: Minnesota has 4 players all capable of playing PG - it is a definite area of strength for them. I would think Barea or Ridnour would be available and would personally think Barea would be more desired to part with from Minny's side as he is owed more money and an extra year.

Williams: Has been on the trade block since before he was drafted. Never wanted in Minnesota just happened to be best or highest rated player available when they selected. Low trade value around the league.

Why Ownership? A winning team increases value. Taylor has been looking for a sale partner for a couple of years. Winning team = more fans (unless you are in Atlanta.... or Indiana). Years of losing.

Why GM? Looking to save his bum, needs to win yesterday. DeRozan fills a need for them especially with Love stretching the floor and Rubio creating. Speaking of Love, he is able to opt out in 2 seasons time. Not a lot of time to develop a raw rookie.

Why Coach? Adelman is not up for losing especially with sick wife.

Maybe Toronto throws in the 2nd rd pick from 2014 they have?

While I am not opposed to trading DeRozan, a back up PG and Williams does not seem like a fair deal - especially when dealing with a team that have reportedly had interest in him and fills a need for them.

Comment

When you consider trade value Demar has the best(trade value). Ross hasn't proved much so far but has the talent and potential to take Demar's place in the starting line up. So if necessary, he can. It makes sense to trade Demar. Demar for Millsap(S & T) is totally fair IMO. In different positions, they're equally talented.

I'm not in favour of dealing him to Minnesota 'cause as talented as D Williams is, he hasn't proved much in the NBA. This means that Raps. could get stuck with two back-up PF's. Besides it's looking unlikely we'll draft this year.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                          When you consider trade value Demar has the best(trade value). Ross hasn't proved much so far but has the talent and potential to take Demar's place in the starting line up. So if necessary, he can. It makes sense to trade Demar. Demar for Millsap(S & T) is totally fair IMO. In different positions, they're equally talented.

I'm not in favour of dealing him to Minnesota 'cause as talented as D Williams is, he hasn't proved much in the NBA. This means that Raps. could get stuck with two back-up PF's. Besides it's looking unlikely we'll draft this year.
                          Ok, first off, I didn't vote, because I'm not convinced BC will be able to pull off the kind of trade I'm ok with.

On Demar for Millsap...I understand why people want to do it, but the bold is exactly why I don't. This team currently does not have enough talent to seriously consider itself a threat. Getting Millsap would probably create better roster balance, but on a team for which .500 ball would be a huge step forward, I'm not sure how important that is right now. I want to keep Demar, since he is very obviously the best trade chip the team has (partly because of expendability) until the team can use him not just to fill a hole, but upgrade talent.

I bolded Minnesota because I also wouldn't do the deal people are talking about here. BUT, with Kevin Love having a tough season with some press that's hardly positive, it is a situation I'd keep an eye on for that legit talent upgrade the team still needs. For example, a deal that starts with Bargs + Demar + 1 or 2 1st rd picks for Love + Ridnour + filler. Very longshot, but Minny does need a SG very badly, and if Love wants to go, Bargnani is a cheap 2-year replacement. Throw a small market team a couple of barely protected 1st rounders and I think that deal gets done. Another situation I'd keep my eye on is Boston, where if KG retires and next season doesn't start so well, I'd want Demar available to shop for a guy like Rondo (or possibly another star PG if one becomes available).

Basically, I don't see the need to trade a shooting guard because we have depth there and holes elsewhere. I only see a "need" to trade if it is to upgrade talent, in which case Demar seems like the logical first building block of any such deal.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Ok, first off, I didn't vote, because I'm not convinced BC will be able to pull off the kind of trade I'm ok with.

On Demar for Millsap...I understand why people want to do it, but the bold is exactly why I don't. This team currently does not have enough talent to seriously consider itself a threat. Getting Millsap would probably create better roster balance, but on a team for which .500 ball would be a huge step forward, I'm not sure how important that is right now. I want to keep Demar, since he is very obviously the best trade chip the team has (partly because of expendability) until the team can use him not just to fill a hole, but upgrade talent.

I bolded Minnesota because I also wouldn't do the deal people are talking about here. BUT, with Kevin Love having a tough season with some press that's hardly positive, it is a situation I'd keep an eye on for that legit talent upgrade the team still needs. For example, a deal that starts with Bargs + Demar + 1 or 2 1st rd picks for Love + Ridnour + filler. Very longshot, but Minny does need a SG very badly, and if Love wants to go, Bargnani is a cheap 2-year replacement. Throw a small market team a couple of barely protected 1st rounders and I think that deal gets done. Another situation I'd keep my eye on is Boston, where if KG retires and next season doesn't start so well, I'd want Demar available to shop for a guy like Rondo (or possibly another star PG if one becomes available).

Basically, I don't see the need to trade a shooting guard because we have depth there and holes elsewhere. I only see a "need" to trade if it is to upgrade talent, in which case Demar seems like the logical first building block of any such deal.
                            I've often heard that Rondo has an attitude problem and is hard to coach. Not sure if it is true and I don't have a source unfortunatley, but I think the only thing that has kept him in line are the all-stars and future HOF's KG and PP, and Doc too I suppose. I know Rondo was just an example but I wouldn't take a chance on him because we don't have anyone more talented and experienced that can keep him in his place. He is incredibly talented though.

Comment

As for the thread topic, I believe all 3 will be back unless one has to be packaged with Bargs. I'm willing to get rid of Bargs for nothing, but if one of the wings is included I'd like to see something good come back. I'd also like to see what TR can do with consistent minutes. Fields strenghts are DD's weaknesses, and we already have a player with DD's strenghts (Gay), so I guess if I had to pick it would be DeRozan that gets moved. I don't really like it because I'm a DD fan, but if it improves the team going forward I'll support it.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                                I've often heard that Rondo has an attitude problem and is hard to coach. Not sure if it is true and I don't have a source unfortunatley, but I think the only thing that has kept him in line are the all-stars and future HOF's KG and PP, and Doc too I suppose. I know Rondo was just an example but I wouldn't take a chance on him because we don't have anyone more talented and experienced that can keep him in his place. He is incredibly talented though.
                                I think you roll the dice. Lowry had the same issues, but Lowry has never led a team to a championship. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Rondo 10 out of 10 times.

From what I have heard about Rondo, his attitude problem has much to do with his competitive spirit. He is a very intense competitor who always wants to win. His body language and demeanor on the court are much better than Lowry's most games. In my mind, JV would have to be the positive voice to offset him if he's a bit much. I think that's already pretty obvious with JV, that he exudes positivity that should spread to his teammates as he grows into one of the leaders. Really, I don't think the attitude of a PG can be that bad if he has led his team to multiple finals appearances. And again, comparing two guys with similar perceived issues, I'll always take the one with far more talent/success.

Comment

Working...
                                X