SGs: Who will not return next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SGs: Who will not return next season?

The Raptors have too many holes in their roster to think that Fields, Ross, and DeRozan will all be back next season.

Who do you think will be gone next year?

**BTW, no AA included because he is a free agent. Only guys under contract (i.e. guaranteed to return at this point) included**
    Landry Fields
    21.43%
    Terrence Ross
    25.00%
    DeMar DeRozan
    53.57%

I'd like to think something will change, but most likely all three will be back.

If AA leaves as a free agent, that leaves a lot of minutes on the table to split between the three of them. Ross will probably get most of his minutes, if his development process (or lack thereof) continues.

If I really had to pick one, I'd say Ross. Not sure if his "untouchable" status still remains, and giving him inconsistent minutes tells us litle about what his future holds here. Fields' contract is to big to move IMO. He brings hustle and rebounding, but not sure if any team would want that for 7 million a season.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
      I'd like to think something will change, but most likely all three will be back.

If AA leaves as a free agent, that leaves a lot of minutes on the table to split between the three of them. Ross will probably get most of his minutes, if his development process (or lack thereof) continues.

If I really had to pick one, I'd say Ross. Not sure if his "untouchable" status still remains, and giving him inconsistent minutes tells us litle about what his future holds here. Fields' contract is to big to move IMO. He brings hustle and rebounding, but not sure if any team would want that for 7 million a season.
      Ahhhh shit. I never thought of that option.

Comment

Yeah unfortunately I think all three will be back. In my opinion Derozan should be the odd man out. He holds onto the ball way too long without doing anything useful, especially if an above average defender is guarding him. Fortunately we already have version 2.0 of that (rudy gay). Landry fields moves better without the ball, and I think he would be an upgrade over derozan even without being able to shoot the 3 ball.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
          Yeah unfortunately I think all three will be back. In my opinion Derozan should be the odd man out. He holds onto the ball way to long without doing anything useful, especially if an above average defender is guarding him. Fortunately we already have version 2.0 of that (rudy gay) Landry fields moves better without the ball, and I think he would be an upgrade over derozan even without being able to shoot the 3 ball.
          First bold:
          Agreed. He is redundant with Gay. Put a big SG on DeRozan and his post play disappears. I do like DD and would hate to see him go but with the make up of the current roster and the money attached to players, he seems most likely to go. I think trading Ross would be a big mistake because, for the most part, his strengths are the current Raptors weaknesses. I am glad he had a strong game versus Minnesota because I think they would be a likely trade partner.

Second bold:
          Agreed. And I think Fields can shoot the corner three with consistency again next year after a summer of rehabbing his forearm/elbow and shot.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            First bold:
            Agreed. He is redundant with Gay. Put a big SG on DeRozan and his post play disappears. I do like DD and would hate to see him go but with the make up of the current roster and the money attached to players, he seems most likely to go. I think trading Ross would be a big mistake because, for the most part, his strengths are the current Raptors weaknesses. I am glad he had a strong game versus Minnesota because I think they would be a likely trade partner.

Second bold:
            Agreed. And I think Fields can shoot the corner three with consistency again next year after a summer of rehabbing his forearm/elbow and shot.
            I wouldn't mind that at all. One of their backup PG's, derrick williams, and someone else. for derozan.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
              I wouldn't mind that at all. One of their backup PG's, derrick williams, and someone else. for derozan.
              The money works with just a PG and Williams. Roy is not guaranteed next season if the Raps were looking for a little financial wiggle room.

I'd be gunning for their draft pick though. But that is just greedy and unlikely. This is actually a good year for the Wolves in the draft. Oladipo, McLemore, and Muhammad could all be available when they pick. However, they are likely running out of time on a number of fronts and might not want to adjust to another rookie to the league. DD might just have more value than I (and probably others here) think.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Shabazz has slipped to 9th at DE.... crazy what a little under performance and age lying does to your stock this time of year.

Comment

I believe all three will be back as well.

Ross is probably the least likely as he was untouchable this trade deadline and I doubt BC would change his stance this soon on him.

I think Fields is difficult because of his contract and who he is (ie, a role player without much potential). But if the right offer came around (Bargnani+Fields for Gasol?) then he could be available.

DeMar makes the most sense because of how similar his game is to Gay...but I'm not sure if BC would want to trade him. BC never gave up on Bargnani, and DeMar appears to be his guy at this point.

Comment

Why do people insist on referring to Fields as a SG? For starters, he started his NBA career as a SF where he did very well as a rookie, and wasn't pushed to an unfamiliar position of SG until Melo showed up and they really didn't have a SG. He was never brought in here as a SG, but as a SF, and his skills have shown him to be far more apt to play SF and small ball PF, which is how he's being used. Why continue to call him a SG???

Regardless of position designation, all three will be back. Whoever else is added to the roster, next year will be about JV, Amir, Gay, Fields, DD, Ross, Lowry coming together as a TEAM that knows each other and works well together.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    Why do people insist on referring to Fields as a SG? For starters, he started his NBA career as a SF where he did very well as a rookie, and wasn't pushed to an unfamiliar position of SG until Melo showed up and they really didn't have a SG. He was never brought in here as a SG, but as a SF, and his skills have shown him to be far more apt to play SF and small ball PF, which is how he's being used. Why continue to call him a SG???
                    Not really much of a difference, he can guard both positions quite well. If he has a decent 3pt shot next year, he would look good starting next to Gay on the wing

Comment

I said Ross because he has been the most under-performing player on this team other than Andrea and Kleiza (injury, played like 2 games lol). At this point, Ross can be sold based on potential and contract, which in today's NBA finance, is extremely important. It's a low risk, high reward type thing.

Derozan seems the most likely, but I hope Ross is gone instead.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I think all three will be back in uniform next year but if I had to pick on it's definitely be Derozan. Gay's massive contract makes it tough to move and Ross on a rookie scale is high value. Demar has taken some steps forward offensively and when guarded by smaller guards he's been efficient in the post/block. Agreed with just about all the previous posts that Demar seems most likely.

Wolves for Ridnour and Williams would be nice for sure.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                          I think all three will be back in uniform next year but if I had to pick on it's definitely be Derozan. Gay's massive contract makes it tough to move and Ross on a rookie scale is high value. Demar has taken some steps forward offensively and when guarded by smaller guards he's been efficient in the post/block. Agreed with just about all the previous posts that Demar seems most likely.

Wolves for Ridnour and Williams would be nice for sure.
                          I'd do this, only if we can get a 3rd team that would take Andrea... Derozan in my opinion is worth more than Ridnour/Williams.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

If the Raps could change Ross for a quality no ... QUALITY three point shooter with another feature in his game i'd do it. I am quite fond of Derozan but would be willing to let him go for Kobe Bryant (jk). Id like to keep him here this summer and pray to God that he works up his ball handling to at least the level of RG and builds himself a 3PT% of at least 30-35%. Fields is a good guy (not worth his salary though) but could only be moved for a 14-wheeler full of the world's greatest beer (that would be Czech beer BTW) or a package including Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and a box of Cuban cigars.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                              I said Ross because he has been the most under-performing player on this team other than Andrea and Kleiza (injury, played like 2 games lol). At this point, Ross can be sold based on potential and contract, which in today's NBA finance, is extremely important. It's a low risk, high reward type thing.

Derozan seems the most likely, but I hope Ross is gone instead.
                              damn completely gave up on ross eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X