No announcement yet.

SGs: Who will not return next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've posted about this somewhere else, but I think DeRozan is the least likely to go. Ross is not at all ready to step in at the starting SG position.

This has nothing to do with how DeMar and Rudy clash etc. BC has shown faith in him with the new contract...if he trades him right after signing him to a huge deal, the backlash he'll receive will be enormous.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      The Raptors have too many holes in their roster to think that Fields, Ross, and DeRozan will all be back next season.

Who do you think will be gone next year?

**BTW, no AA included because he is a free agent. Only guys under contract (i.e. guaranteed to return at this point) included**
      Landry really hasn't logged any minutes at the 2 all season he has played the 3 and 4 and I don't see that changing going forward. I thing the wing rotation will remain the same next season. PG and PF more important to address IMO

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Ok, first off, I didn't vote, because I'm not convinced BC will be able to pull off the kind of trade I'm ok with.

On Demar for Millsap...I understand why people want to do it, but the bold is exactly why I don't. This team currently does not have enough talent to seriously consider itself a threat. Getting Millsap would probably create better roster balance, but on a team for which .500 ball would be a huge step forward, I'm not sure how important that is right now. I want to keep Demar, since he is very obviously the best trade chip the team has (partly because of expendability) until the team can use him not just to fill a hole, but upgrade talent.

I bolded Minnesota because I also wouldn't do the deal people are talking about here. BUT, with Kevin Love having a tough season with some press that's hardly positive, it is a situation I'd keep an eye on for that legit talent upgrade the team still needs. For example, a deal that starts with Bargs + Demar + 1 or 2 1st rd picks for Love + Ridnour + filler. Very longshot, but Minny does need a SG very badly, and if Love wants to go, Bargnani is a cheap 2-year replacement. Throw a small market team a couple of barely protected 1st rounders and I think that deal gets done. Another situation I'd keep my eye on is Boston, where if KG retires and next season doesn't start so well, I'd want Demar available to shop for a guy like Rondo (or possibly another star PG if one becomes available).

Basically, I don't see the need to trade a shooting guard because we have depth there and holes elsewhere. I only see a "need" to trade if it is to upgrade talent, in which case Demar seems like the logical first building block of any such deal.
        As you say the Minny idea could be a long shot. Love's value is at it's peak. The Boston idea is also slightly in Boston's favour but it may work if Amir or Lowry are sent along with Demar. Rondo has a little bit of an attitude but I'd love to see him a Raptor.

You're right, losing Demar won't hurt very much 'cause it's only a matter of time before Ross becomes very productive. Gay and Ross can start while Fields and Anderson(unfairly unpopular) can ably back up. Also, let's not forget that Klieza is still a Raptor.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
          As you say the Minny idea could be a long shot. Love's value is at it's peak. The Boston idea is also slightly in Boston's favour but it may work if Amir or Lowry are sent along with Demar. Rondo has a little bit of an attitude but I'd love to see him a Raptor.

You're right, losing Demar won't hurt very much 'cause it's only a matter of time before Ross becomes very productive. Gay and Ross can start while Fields and Anderson(unfairly unpopular) can ably back up. Also, let's not forget that Klieza is still a Raptor.
          Sorry I included Anderson by mistake.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
            Landry really hasn't logged any minutes at the 2 all season he has played the 3 and 4 and I don't see that changing going forward. I thing the wing rotation will remain the same next season. PG and PF more important to address IMO
            He has played much more SG in his career than SF/PF.

PG and PF are definitely weaknesses in the roster. With no draft pick, no cap space, and just the MLE/vet min to use, I'm not sure how the team is going to address those areas without a trade. I'm also not sure how anything of value comes back without giving something up.

Comment

Redundancy means nothing if Gay and DeMar actually click together through better offensive sets and chemistry which has been seen in what little sample size they have played together so far.

Fields is a good rotational player not a starter... Hes here by default if he was on a cheaper contract he would be traded in a heartbeat and roll on further with Gay, DeRozan and Ross....

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                Redundancy means nothing if Gay and DeMar actually click together through better offensive sets and chemistry which has been seen in what little sample size they have played together so far.

Fields is a good rotational player not a starter... Hes here by default if he was on a cheaper contract he would be traded in a heartbeat and roll on further with Gay, DeRozan and Ross....
                Funny how in 3 years in the NBA he has been the starting SG on a playoff team twice. Take off the homer shades.

Do you think DeMar and Gay have actually clicked? The Raptors record says no, OffRtg and DefRtg also give a big fat no.

Comment

Fields' and DeRozan's contracts are at the start of something ridiculous, Ross' is too small to get anything of worth in return. You only trade your young prospect for another if it isn't working out, and it's too early to tell right now. Plus you need the other team to have given up on their guy too. You could package him with a larger contract but I can't imagine a Bargs+Ross or Kleiza+Ross yielding much of upgrade at any position.

As for value, DeRozan is really the only guy to accomplish anything this season so he likely has the best trade value even if his contract is (oops.. I just puked in my mouth). That is, unless you think NBA teams care about dunk contests or what someone did as a rookie two years ago. So if forced to pick, it's probably DeRozan.

I think this thread hinges on the fate of one Bryan Colangelo. If he's gone, DeRozan is likely gone too. Trading DeRozan now would be Colangelo admitting defeat of one really, really bad contract. Even Fields really. But if you bring in a new guy, he'd have no issue cutting both Fields and DeRozan loose. In fact he'd probably relish that fact that he's clearing out all the messes that Colangelo left behind.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

my favorite lineup is

val
                    amir
                    fields
                    ross
                    lowry

it doesn't happen very much, but when it does, man it's fun to watch. fields is CONSTANTLY cutting while amir and jv take turns screening and rolling to the basket. if ross gets the right coaching and fixes his jumper a bit to be a consistent 3 point shooter the sky is the limit. nevermind what that lineup can do defensively.

when gay and/or demar are on the court the offense goes stagnant with iso's and quick shots. i really hope rudy comes back next season motivated and not such a dirty pile of laundry on the court.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

He has played much more SG in his career than SF/PF.

PG and PF are definitely weaknesses in the roster. With no draft pick, no cap space, and just the MLE/vet min to use, I'm not sure how the team is going to address those areas without a trade. I'm also not sure how anything of value comes back without giving something up.
                      The MLE should take care of one of the needs without much problem. It's only the other need that they'd have to address via trade. It's going to be a challenge. Demar and Amir are the most valuable trade chips they have. Amir can't be considered much of a trade chip as he is a PF himself.

It must be noted that we fans have written off Bargnani even though he has been a reasonably successful PF/C in the course of his career.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        i really hope rudy comes back next season motivated and not such a dirty pile of laundry on the court.
                        An observation I've made is that unlike Demar for example, Rudy depends more on talent than self motivation.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          Fields' and DeRozan's contracts are at the start of something ridiculous, Ross' is too small to get anything of worth in return. You only trade your young prospect for another if it isn't working out, and it's too early to tell right now. Plus you need the other team to have given up on their guy too. You could package him with a larger contract but I can't imagine a Bargs+Ross or Kleiza+Ross yielding much of upgrade at any position.

As for value, DeRozan is really the only guy to accomplish anything this season so he likely has the best trade value even if his contract is (oops.. I just puked in my mouth). That is, unless you think NBA teams care about dunk contests or what someone did as a rookie two years ago. So if forced to pick, it's probably DeRozan.

I think this thread hinges on the fate of one Bryan Colangelo. If he's gone, DeRozan is likely gone too. Trading DeRozan now would be Colangelo admitting defeat of one really, really bad contract. Even Fields really. But if you bring in a new guy, he'd have no issue cutting both Fields and DeRozan loose. In fact he'd probably relish that fact that he's clearing out all the messes that Colangelo left behind.
                          I don't think so. This is a really weak year for free agent wings. I think the contract is ridiculous but I believe he would have got in that ball park when looking at who is available.

As for the defeat, it could be looked at as locking up an asset. A team like Minnesota, for example, is hardly a free agent hot spot and locking DD up for 4 seasons might appeal to them, again just an example. Denver did the same thing with Nene: signed to rich contract they wanted no part of and then shipped him out later.

Comment

Funny how in 3 years in the NBA he has been the starting SG on a playoff team twice. Take off the homer shades.

Do you think DeMar and Gay have actually clicked? The Raptors record says no, OffRtg and DefRtg also give a big fat no.
                            The cold hard truth

Comment

a playoff team beside allstar talent.... take off the delusional shades. Fields is good he isnt AMAZING as you think he is. Fields only played well one season and floundered this year and the year before, with the Raptors yes he brings some good things but lets be real here he is not our long term answer at starting SG the team will be dreadful. Btw Gay and DeRozan have been playing pretty good together... Them being relatively the same player isnt why the Raps have been losing games its the Raps being a joke whenever they sit that is the bench is useless providing no D or O to help the team. Fields also only started because of injuries as well so that isnt really a point...and was useless in all playoff appearances.

ITs funny how people are hating on Gay nowa guy who quickly came here doesnt know the system and is just playing his game.... Raptors fans ladies and gentlemen...

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                                a playoff team beside allstar talent.... take off the delusional shades. Fields is good he isnt AMAZING as you think he is. Fields only played well one season and floundered this year and the year before, with the Raptors yes he brings some good things but lets be real here he is not our long term answer at starting SG the team will be dreadful. Btw Gay and DeRozan have been playing pretty good together... Them being relatively the same player isnt why the Raps have been losing games its the Raps being a joke whenever they sit that is the bench is useless providing no D or O to help the team. Fields also only started because of injuries as well so that isnt really a point...and was useless in all playoff appearances.

ITs funny how people are hating on Gay nowa guy who quickly came here doesnt know the system and is just playing his game.... Raptors fans ladies and gentlemen...
                                Fields starting with Gay is better than DeMar starting with Gay. Fields has great off ball movement so that really helps the offensive movement. Once Fields gets his shot back, he'll be much more effective. I love DeMar too, but he won't fit in well with Gay being the #1 option. Just not enough movement and too many long two's

Comment

Working...
                                X