SGs: Who will not return next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I think you roll the dice. Lowry had the same issues, but Lowry has never led a team to a championship. If I had to choose one, I'd choose Rondo 10 out of 10 times.

From what I have heard about Rondo, his attitude problem has much to do with his competitive spirit. He is a very intense competitor who always wants to win. His body language and demeanor on the court are much better than Lowry's most games. In my mind, JV would have to be the positive voice to offset him if he's a bit much. I think that's already pretty obvious with JV, that he exudes positivity that should spread to his teammates as he grows into one of the leaders. Really, I don't think the attitude of a PG can be that bad if he has led his team to multiple finals appearances. And again, comparing two guys with similar perceived issues, I'll always take the one with far more talent/success.
    Good points, but I'm not sure Rondo would listen to JV. Either way, if Rondo did come here, we should let him do his thing as opposed to having him change his game like we are doing with Lowry. He does some amazing things on the court, blows my mind. I just fear he would try and win games himself, and maybe not trust his teammates like he has in Boston. Nonetheless, he would be hard to resist, and if it didn't work out he would be easily movable.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
      When you consider trade value Demar has the best(trade value). Ross hasn't proved much so far but has the talent and potential to take Demar's place in the starting line up. So if necessary, he can. It makes sense to trade Demar. Demar for Millsap(S & T) is totally fair IMO. In different positions, they're equally talented.

I'm not in favour of dealing him to Minnesota 'cause as talented as D Williams is, he hasn't proved much in the NBA. This means that Raps. could get stuck with two back-up PF's. Besides it's looking unlikely we'll draft this year.
      A back up PG and Williams is not enough for DeMar.

I'm trying to be realistic here. Not sure if I am succeeding.

Comment

The Ross hate on the board is mind boggling.

Dude has all-star potential if he's coached properly.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

The DeMar and Casey hate on this forum is mind boggling.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            A back up PG and Williams is not enough for DeMar.

I'm trying to be realistic here. Not sure if I am succeeding.
            I'm just not sure. It's really hard to say what Demar's worth at this moment. Yes, he's a near 20ppg scorer. But if I'm Minnesota, I look at this trade and say, do I really want to be paying a shooting guard who can't shoot and can't defend 10 mil a year? If I'm them, I'd much much rather roll the dice with a guard on a rookie scale contract and see if he can step in and contribute.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

When you think about his potential, the difference between his ceiling/basement as a player can seem to be vast. All-Star? Maaaaaybe. Absolute best-case scenario. But on the flip-side, he's already shown an awful tendency to disappear for stretches, and to just fall asleep at inexcusable times (i.e. leave Ray Allen open for multiple open threes). This is what the haters are jumping onto.

All I know is after the Bargnani experience, I'm really tired of dealing with players like this. Do I want him gone? No. I voted for Demar. But I'm certainly not hoping/expecting/wishing for Ross to be an All-Star.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I personally hope all three are back. They all need some improvment (demar and landry outside shooting, ross consistancy and less stupid mistakes like jumping at pump fakes.) But i think all 3 and great for this team they all bring different aspects and can play different positions as well. I think Ross needs another full year of development getting consistant minutes off the bench and an offseason (maybe two) of work before we hand him the reins to a starting job because hes not ready.

If we had to trade someone i would hope its (in this order.) Landy, ross, demar. however i do believe they can co exist.

Comment

If I was inclined I would go back to January when he got some burn and everyone was on the other extreme end of the discussion.

I am not sure about All-Star but I see a very good 6th man at worst for him. If the Raps actually had some motion and ball movement in their offense I am sure he'd be open for set 3's versus the curling catch and shoot type he often takes.

What I love most about Ross is he just about ALWAYS looks to dunk on a drive. If DeMar did that the same way Ross does, DD would be an All-Star by now.

Comment

Burnit482 wrote: View Post
                    I personally hope all three are back. They all need some improvment (demar and landry outside shooting, ross consistancy and less stupid mistakes like jumping at pump fakes.) But i think all 3 and great for this team they all bring different aspects and can play different positions as well. I think Ross needs another full year of development getting consistant minutes off the bench and an offseason (maybe two) of work before we hand him the reins to a starting job because hes not ready.

If we had to trade someone i would hope its (in this order.) Landy, ross, demar. however i do believe they can co exist.
                    The problem is throwing in Gay.

The Raps have nearly 2/3's of their cap space tied up in Fields, Ross, DeRozan, and Gay.

Something has to give.

Comment

If I was inclined I would go back to January when he got some burn and everyone was on the other extreme end of the discussion.

I am not sure about All-Star but I see a very good 6th man at worst for him. If the Raps actually had some motion and ball movement in their offense I am sure he'd be open for set 3's versus the curling catch and shoot type he often takes.

What I love most about Ross is he just about ALWAYS looks to dunk on a drive. If DeMar did that the same way Ross does, DD would be an All-Star by now.
                      Classic example from last night:

Had that been DeMar, we would've seen some sort of wonky finger roll.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                        Classic example from last night:

Had that been DeMar, we would've seen some sort of wonky finger roll.
                        Yup. I hate to say it. It is DD's inconsistencies that continue to drive me nuts. You see it on drives which affects his FT attempts. You see it on rebounds and assists. You really never know what you are going to get other than 7 or 8 21-foot jump shots a night

Comment

He was always SG in NY.

Prior to Carmelo in NY he was paired with Wilson Chandler.

It does not mean much but Basketball-Reference has him listed as SG from the 2010-11 Knicks team as well as 2011-12 while Chandler was the SF while in 2009-10 Chandler was listed as the SG.
                          I stand corrected on his NY experience, however his Raps' experience has not included 1 minute of time as a SG, but all of it as either a SF or small ball PF, which suits his skill set far more than him trying to cover quick SGs. Whatever the then disjointed Knicks played him as, it's pretty clear that the Raps got him to play SF, and that's what they've used him at. It makes zero sense to dump DD and move Fields into an unsuitable position. Ross is certainly not ready to start, so do the Raps start Anderson until then?

Comment

To Casey, Fields is a versatile SF that can play three positions, who doesn't need the ball on offense, and who can guard elite SFs. To the rest of the league, he's an overpaid claw-hand. When a player is so much more valuable to his current team, he's not going anywhere except as matching salary.

Ross is cheap and high upside. He might be a more tradeable asset than either of the others, but the Raptors need some rookie-salary guys to balance their roster. I could see him being traded for a young underperformer who fits more of a need for the Raptors, but not as a part of acquiring another big ticket player.

DeRozan is the most likely of the three to go: he's fairly-paid, skilled, and young enough that the Raptors could get a good player back, and there's the much-cited redundancy with Gay factor. However, there's also the fact that he's played some of the most effective ball of his career since Gay arrived.

My gut feeling is that none of these guys get traded in the offseason, unless it's to facilitate a Bargs trade. None of these guys are likely to actually go down in trade value, and both Ross and Fields could go up significantly over the next year. I think we'll see a quiet offseason, unless Colangelo either is fired and someone else wants to clean house, or he gets an offer he can't refuse. We'll see a very similar team to this one to start the season, but when they start to slip below .500 (which could be three weeks into the season), there will be some major moves.

Comment

Fields starting is going to be insane with no DeMar it means the team will focus even more on Gay on the outside...losing DeMar to start a guy with a wonky potentially career ending ligament injury in his elbow that affects his game night in night out and missed layups is a great way to steer the franchise. Moving Demar will staight up cripple the team we can talk about moving DeMar when Ross has 3 years under his belt and develops some consistency.

Newsflash Ross was playing well against the Bucks back ups back ups and we weren't even in the game anymore so they stopped playing D, Ross better get some dunks in. Last games DeMar has been putting up 20 pts a night give the guy a little respect. I love Ross but lets address who is a part of the future a little bit later DeMar has been playing well as the starting 2 and 2nd option beside Gay ya he takes a lot of jumpers but more often than not those midrange shots for him are money especially on a mismatch.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                                I stand corrected on his NY experience, however his Raps' experience has not included 1 minute of time as a SG, but all of it as either a SF or small ball PF, which suits his skill set far more than him trying to cover quick SGs. Whatever the then disjointed Knicks played him as, it's pretty clear that the Raps got him to play SF, and that's what they've used him at. It makes zero sense to dump DD and move Fields into an unsuitable position. Ross is certainly not ready to start, so do the Raps start Anderson until then?
                                Fields was acquired in an attempt to screw the Knicks out of Nash.

Fields has not played SG in Toronto because they already had a SG.... and drafted another.

Because Toronto has played Fields at SF does not necessarily make him ideally suited as one.

Fields was the starting SG on a playoff team his first 2 seasons in the NBA.... that is more than DeRozan can say in 4 years.
                                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Apr 7, 2013, 03:13 PM. Reason: .... and drafted another.

Comment

Working...
                                X