View Poll Results: Should Dwane Casey be fired?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 49.15%
  • No

30 50.85%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Early Ride on the Coaching Carousel

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Please remove Sam mitchell from that list, i'm still a fan of his as an analyst but when i first saw this video i understood why he hasnt coached since he got fired from here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7VlyeWgL8E

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Nate McMillan
    2. Larry Drew
    3. Scott Skiles

3 guys known for defense, can actually coach an offense (not sure about Skiles, more so freedom than anything), and aren't guys who hide behind their words.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    Please remove Sam mitchell from that list, i'm still a fan of his as an analyst but when i first saw this video i understood why he hasnt coached since he got fired from here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7VlyeWgL8E
    All the former Raptor coaches were tongue in cheek put on the list.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted no. Casey has been learning his job. Last year, for whatever reason, the players seemed to buy into what he wanted and defensive intensity picked up. This year he started with bad bargs, and bad offensive schemes. It was like he worked all summer with his assistants to find an offensive plan that could use his players, and it all went off the rails. Lowry didn't fit, Bargs went down, the offense didn't work like they planned it, or the players couldn't follow instructions. Then the Gay and Calderon trade. Then Ross didn't turn out to be the three point shooting help they hoped for.

Casey seems to be making better use of his players, his rotations seem better, and he seems to be coaching better. But the big thing for me is that it looks like the players still have his back. The mood on the bench is good. The guys sitting cheer on and celebrate good plays by the guys who are on the floor.

If Casey has the summer to work with this team (minus Bargs with something coming back maybe) watch the tape, listen to the analytics guys, get back a fields who is more of what they thought, and a stronger JV (who he will have confidence in) he will be a much improved coach.

Maybe I'm just a stupid optimist, but I say he should get that second year.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's not time to throw Casey under the bus. I could go either way on Coangelo (who probably should be gone, but probably won't be gone). The only way you fire Casey is if you've already got a handshake agreement with Sloan; otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I still don't think Casey deserves to be fired, but I want Colangelo fired and if that means a changing of the guard then Casey will have to go too.

Here's what I think will happen -- Colangelo will get extended, Casey will be fired.

As to who will replace him, I predict Colangelo will go after yet another inexperienced coach. I'm guessing since the last two didn't work out he'll probably go with someone with a bigger name but no experience. Like a Patrick Ewing type of guy.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted not to fire Casey. I still think he is a good coach to ingrain sound, fundamental defensive principles into our young/veteran players. He is a building block that will get the team ready for the next stage which will be to compete for more than the 8th seed, at which time I would love for them to get SVG. I actually think SVG would coach us because Stern is probably putting a lot of pressure on other teams to not bring him back into the NBA. The Rapors should take the chance. If not SVG then I'd like to see Nate MacMillan as the Raptors head coach.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Avery or Nate Mcmillan. I dont think Casey should be fired for only one reason is that he still has the respect of the team (it seems.) When i see that start to fade or the work ethic fade then its time for a change. If we were able to get avery johnson or Mcmillian i wouldnt care how good hes doing those guys are great coaches.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I've said it on here several times before. Look at. The roster look at the coaches strengths and ask yourself what kind if team do you want out there. Mike brown. He is the best choice for our roster. So barring any major roster moves he is the best choice because :

Defence first

Creative offensively and can showcase our players strengths

Player type of coach who can motivate stars and develop younger players

Winning perigee

Think about is folks.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Casey and Colangelo should be fired.

I'm under the assumption (myself only) that DeRozan will be traded in the offseason along with Bargs with a starting line-up of:

Lowry
    Fields
    Gay
    Johnson
    Valanciunas

My coaching choice: SVG (don't know why he would take the gig - would sure know how to feature a big man on offence), Shaw (only because I don't think Lowry is a traditional PG and may be a good triangle candidate with Gay and Valanciunas / Johnson), McMillan.
    Yikes, we're trading Demar and Bargnani - and not getting back a piece for the starting 5? That would hurt.
    I'm with you on SVG and McMillan though ... Shaw would be another first-timer in Toronto, which doesn't excite me.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

good god yes get rid of casey i can't handle his bullshit anymore

as far as replacements go i have a few ideas, SVG, Mcmillen, Cheeks, but i'd kind of like a young creative guy.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

From wiki to further my point:

Assistant coach

In 2000, Brown was hired by Gregg Popovich as an assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. While with the Spurs, Brown's teams won at least 58 games each season. He also was the head coach for the Spurs' summer league teams in Boston and Salt Lake City. After winning a championship with San Antonio in 2003, Brown was hired as assistant coach to Rick Carlisle with the Indiana Pacers. He helped lead Indiana to consecutive playoff appearances including a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2004.

Brown's record as an assistant coach is 341–201 (.629).[1]

Cleveland Cavaliers

In June 2005, Brown got his first head coaching job with the Cleveland Cavaliers, replacing Brendan Malone, becoming the second youngest coach in the league, with only Lawrence Frank of the New Jersey Nets younger.[1]

On June 2, 2007, Brown's Cavaliers defeated the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals and advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time in the history of the franchise. However, they were swept in four games to his former team, San Antonio Spurs.

On February 1, 2008, Brown was named the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month for January 2008.[2]

In 2009, Brown was named coach of the Eastern Conference All-Star team,[3] making him the second coach in Cavaliers history to coach the All-Star team, joining Lenny Wilkens who coached the East team in 1989.

On April 20, 2009, Brown was named NBA Coach of the Year after guiding the Cavaliers to a franchise best 66–16 record.[3]

On May 13, 2010, Brown and the Cleveland Cavaliers were eliminated by the Boston Celtics in the Conference Semifinals of the 2010 NBA Playoffs. With this loss, the Cavaliers became the first team in NBA history to accomplish back-to-back 60+ win seasons and not advance to the NBA Finals.[4]

Brown was fired on May 24, 2010.[5][6] In December 2010, he began working with ESPN as a studio analyst.[7]

After leaving Cleveland Cavaliers, Brown was the assistant coach on his son's middle school team. He was the coach for the Westlake Lee Burneson Middle School team in Ohio. He turned down an offer to serve as an assistant at St. Mary’s College in California. “I’m a glorified equipment guy who gets to chest bump and high-five the players,” Brown said. “The kids still call me coach.” [8]

Los Angeles Lakers

On May 25, 2011, Brown agreed to be Phil Jackson's successor and become the new head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. He reportedly agreed to a 4-year deal, with a team option to keep him under contract for the fourth year.[9] On May 31, 2011, he was officially named the Lakers' new head coach.[10] The 2011–12 season was shortened to 66 games by the lockout that season, and the Lakers were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs.[11]

Before the 2012–13 season, Brown decided the Lakers would use the Princeton offense.[12] The Lakers then acquired All-Stars Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, giving them a starting lineup of five All-Stars with a combined 33 All-Star game appearances.[13] The Lakers were winless in eight games in the preseason.[14] On November 9, 2012, Brown was fired after the Lakers started the regular season with a 1–4 record.[15] Nash had played just 1 1⁄2 games due to injury, Howard was playing but recovering from back surgery, and Kobe Bryant had been playing with an injured foot and was unable to practice.[16] The team was still adjusting to the new offense and committing a high number of turnovers; the defense, a specialty of Brown's, was also vulnerable.[17][11] The Lakers, however, had an urgency to win and were not compelled to wait given their aging stars, Howard's pending free agency the coming summer, and owner Jerry Buss' deteriorating health.[16][18] Brown's dismissal after five games was the third-fastest coaching change in NBA history.[19] Assistant coach Bernie Bickerstaff served as the Lakers' interim head coach until Mike D'Antoni took over.[20]

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted NO simply because I DO NOT want BC to fire yet another coach (assuming BC gets his option picked up for one more year). Come on guys...... How many times are we going to go through this?? The ONLY person that needs to be FIRED is Bryan Collangelo. PERIOD.

I personally don't care either way if DC is fired. BUT I would rather a NEW GM make that decision.

If BC gets a chance to fire DC and then brings in another coach, the next GM (there will be a new GM because BC sucks) will want to bring in his own coach. We need some stability here! For the sake of JV, Ross, Demar, etc. we need to let DC finish out his contract (last year anyways) and let the new GM evaluate the roster and make the decision.

Now, if he DC is fired I think we should give Brian Shaw a shot.

Brian Shaw won 3 championships as a player for the Lakers and won 2 championships as an Assistant Coach with the lakers. He has been an assistant with the Indiana pacers for the past few years. I think he deserves a shot AND he spent a lot of time as a player and an assistant coach to Phil "I have 11 more rings than you" Jackson.

Beggers can't be choosers people! You don't get much better than this.....Brian Shaw can call up Phil and get coaching advice!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes he should be fired. SVG, Larry Brown or if they want to go cheap Terry Porter, are my preferred choices.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep him. We need some continuity for once.

But if we were making changes, SVG would be epic (I can only imagine what he'd say about this team in post-games), but realy our best choices are likely to be Mike Brown, Brian Shaw (triangle might work since Lowry is more of a SG anyway), then Scott Skiles.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot stress enough how overrated Mike Brown is. If Casey's offensive ineptitude frustrates you, Brown will put you in a coma.
    @jerboat

17. Like Nilanka, Letter N, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fire BC, keep Casey for another year, let him actually run the team without having his hand forced to "run n gun" or give AB (or anyone else) undeserved minutes.

If he really has lost the team then:

SVG — he could be had for the right price
    Shaw — Give him a chance, he got screwed by Baby Buss
    Malone — Best Raptors coach, IMO, and has always been praised by players and staff

All the coaches who've been fired this past year deserved it and their teams really did quit on them. In most cases these guys should've been fired a long time ago. Gentry, Hollins, Skiles etc.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I cannot stress enough how overrated Mike Brown is.
    Totally agree. His success came when he coached a team that was building around the LEGENDARY James.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted yes, but the only time you fire Casey is if BC is let go. It makes no sense to have BC get another coach. BC is the problem. If he gets another coach, it will be another "yes" man and he'll only pick an unestablished coach in the league.

Also if BC hires another guy who's to say that the next GM (assuming there will be one) will want to keep that coach in place?

If BC is gone, then I'm all for a new coach. My preference is Larry Brown. He'd be a short term option but he'd be able to turn this franchise into a some what respectable one until they can get someone more permanent in.

I do realize he can be a bit of a douche, but he's had success - and lots of it. The team needs someone that knows how to win.

21. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

BRAD STEVENS

...if not available, then Shaka Smart.

I do like Casey, though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information