View Poll Results: Should Dwane Casey be fired?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 49.15%
  • No

30 50.85%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Early Ride on the Coaching Carousel

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You mean Gay is the new #tradeBargnani?

The Raptors already had little flexibility as soon as the extension to DeRozan was given. I like the trade but think the talent the Raptors have can be better utilized.

Also, what free agent was coming to Toronto? I say that seriously and not as a "oh boo hoo Toronto". Notable free agents want a chance to win and make money. Cap space is for more than free agents though as many know and, well, Toronto used space to get a player and talent they likely had no other chance of getting. For years we've been looking for a wing - well, here he is, warts and all.
    Too many warts.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote unknown guest wrote: View Post
    I have to disagree. If that was remotely true, the Griz would have kept him and traded either Z-Bo or Marc. They didn't.

He is overpaid (not his fault), but just the way he carries himself, complaining to the refs, shooting long two, on again-off again defense--that is not building block material. Trade him AND Lowry AND Colangelo.
    I like what Rudy brings, but his body language on the court scares me.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not ready to give up on Dwane Casey yet but I'm advocating for some sort of change with his staff -- bring in a lead assistant with NBA coaching experience. Casey needs a veteran voice to listen to because it's well obvious that he struggles with some coaching decisions on the fly.

But I can't disregard the fact that all throughout the season, this man has been asked to coach completely different teams, with different lead guards, different go to options, etc. It's not as if when one person goes down, you can slide the next option right away & the system carries on. There hasn't been a consistent line-up for Casey to work with the entire season.

That being said, he has a lot of work ahead of him, but I am willing to give him one one more year to see improvement. He gets his team to work hard, he has established a pretty good culture in the locker room & the dysfunction cannot necessarily be attributed from player - coaching relationship, but rather in coaching - management relationship.
    ďI donít create controversies. Theyíre there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.Ē

-- Charles Barkley

4. Like TRX liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Keep Casey

2. No more Rookie Head Coaches - Toronto has suffered through more than enough of that pain.

3. That list of suggested retreads shouldn't fill anyone with any more confidence than keeping the Head Coach the team has
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the two biggest concerns should be bringing back the defensive, hard-nosed style the team had last season, and actually finding plays to run in the half court. It seems like this season we've seen a completely different Casey; and if he's not going back to what we saw year one then I'd be all for letting him go.
    Perhaps a bit more lineup consistancy in 2013-2014 could see Casey steer the ship like he used to. Either way, Raps should look for an assistant with a playbook.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote swingman wrote: View Post
    I think the two biggest concerns should be bringing back the defensive, hard-nosed style the team had last season, and actually finding plays to run in the half court. It seems like this season we've seen a completely different Casey; and if he's not going back to what we saw year one then I'd be all for letting him go.
    Perhaps a bit more lineup consistancy in 2013-2014 could see Casey steer the ship like he used to. Either way, Raps should look for an assistant with a playbook.
    It's possible that the defensive regression has as much to do with the players as the coach. As has been mentioned elsewhere, there was more raw talent on this year's roster than on last year's. So how is it that they underperformed? Well, talent isn't all it takes. My opinion is that the "more talented" guys they've brought in to act as the catalyst for this team getting better seem to have a different mindset -- the positive view would call it "self confidence", "swagger", etc.; the negative view might say "selfishness" or "ego". Complaining to the refs on the regular, freelancing on D and O, etc.

Casey's defensive credentials can't really be questioned. What he did with that Dallas championship team, along with how Toronto played last year are enough proof for me that, given the right roster with the right mental makeup, he can develop a top-tier defensive squad. And the complaints about the offense are overwrought; if the defense was performing as it should, then the offense would follow. The strategy this team employs is (supposed to be) all about run-outs and easy hoops, but you can't play that game if you don't get stops and defensive rebounds.

I have a really hard time putting this season's failings on Casey. I firmly believe that his plan wasn't being executed on the floor. That's either on the players for lack of talent, or on the players for determining that their way is better than the coach's way. Either way, I'm never in favour of canning a good coach if its the players who don't fit.

If Gay and Lowry are the type of guys who just have a hard time co-existing with an authoritative coach -- which is increasingly possible, given their histories in the league -- then what coach could be brought in that would be able to get the most out of them?
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    Actually, MANY of us HERE on RR had issues with the trade (before it even happened) BECAUSE of his salary. We knew that it would really put us in a financially tough place. Many viewed it as a last ditch effort for BC to save his job.
    I personally did not come across any anti-Gay posts but just because I didn't come across them doesn't mean they weren't there. If I came across pro-Gay posts only, they were probably in the majority.

As far as his acquisition being BC's last ditch effort to save his job is concerned, that's a matter of opinion. IMO his acquisition is part of BC's effort to rebuild the team after Bosh's departure. Now if people think it's getting frustrating, I totally agree but that's what rebuilding is all about.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote unknown guest wrote: View Post
    I have to disagree. If that was remotely true, the Griz would have kept him and traded either Z-Bo or Marc. They didn't.

He is overpaid (not his fault), but just the way he carries himself, complaining to the refs, shooting long two, on again-off again defense--that is not building block material. Trade him AND Lowry AND Colangelo.
    Just because the Grizzlies did not trade Zack or Marc, doesn't mean Gay is not a solid building block for Raptors. That's like saying that if the Heat trade Bosh because he is the least valuable TO THEM of the big 3, it means that Bosh can't be a solid building block on another team.

Regarding the way he carries himself, I don't find anything wrong but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't, It's a matter of opinion.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. The poll's gone the other way now...what the hell happened?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    People came to their senses and realized Casey is a good coach.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They won 2 games.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Consider the source but here is HoopsWorld.com Eastern Conference coaching grades. Coming in last in the east:

Team: Toronto Raptors

Coach: Dwane Casey

Record: 31-48

Grade: D

Summary: Forgiving the roster upheaval, injuries to Andrea Bargnani and the youth of center Jonas Valanciunas, Casey still had a bad season.

The team had a chance to compete for the final spot in the East when they acquired Rudy Gay, but they only seemed to get worse following the deadline, after which they scored only 100.2 points per 100 possessions.

There is still talent on the team, and they could be significantly better next season, but Casey might not be around to see the finished product. The Raptors finished the season among the bottom 10 teams in defensive efficiency and rebounding rate.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/grading-the-coaches-the-east
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

They won 2 games.
    Wow, I'm surprised just two games changed everyone's mind!

Wait..... no I'm not.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

15. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like how Casey moved away from the small ball option in favor of the more traditional 2 big men line-ups which has resulted in better defense & better balance offensively as well. Kyle Lowry also seems like he's been given more say in the offense & he has responded well. We are playing with better flow & we change ends (defense to offense) better compared to the past month.

.... But it's like a month too late
    Last edited by torch19; Mon Apr 15th, 2013 at 04:48 AM.
    ďI donít create controversies. Theyíre there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.Ē

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

People realizing the team just not very good to begin with. Can't exactly fault a coach for a bad roster.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels are starting to come off.

Collins no longer head coach in PHI but having a Triano year.

Scott fired in Cleveland.

I have no interest in Collins but Scott is a good coach who was hired right before a certain ESPN special in July 2010.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels are starting to come off.

Collins no longer head coach in PHI but having a Triano year.

Scott fired in Cleveland.

I have no interest in Collins but Scott is a good coach who was hired right before a certain ESPN special in July 2010.
    Add Lawrence Frank to the list of retreads.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Add Lawrence Frank to the list of retreads.
    Apparently, Lindsey Hunter is also in trouble in PHX. The players want him gone and the team was even worse after he took over.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lawrence Frank

Couple of coaches fired today, Byron Scott, Lawrence Frank, and Doug Collins (although he doesn't sound like he's available.

I'm not sold on Casey. Lawrence Frank is a good coach.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/91...etroit-pistons

Post Thanks / Like

I heard he was interested in the Rutgers position..
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information