ESPN: Early Ride on the Coaching Carousel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good god yes get rid of casey i can't handle his bullshit anymore

as far as replacements go i have a few ideas, SVG, Mcmillen, Cheeks, but i'd kind of like a young creative guy.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

From wiki to further my point:

Assistant coach

In 2000, Brown was hired by Gregg Popovich as an assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. While with the Spurs, Brown's teams won at least 58 games each season. He also was the head coach for the Spurs' summer league teams in Boston and Salt Lake City. After winning a championship with San Antonio in 2003, Brown was hired as assistant coach to Rick Carlisle with the Indiana Pacers. He helped lead Indiana to consecutive playoff appearances including a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2004.

Brown's record as an assistant coach is 341–201 (.629).[1]

Cleveland Cavaliers

In June 2005, Brown got his first head coaching job with the Cleveland Cavaliers, replacing Brendan Malone, becoming the second youngest coach in the league, with only Lawrence Frank of the New Jersey Nets younger.[1]

On June 2, 2007, Brown's Cavaliers defeated the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals and advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time in the history of the franchise. However, they were swept in four games to his former team, San Antonio Spurs.

On February 1, 2008, Brown was named the Eastern Conference Coach of the Month for January 2008.[2]

In 2009, Brown was named coach of the Eastern Conference All-Star team,[3] making him the second coach in Cavaliers history to coach the All-Star team, joining Lenny Wilkens who coached the East team in 1989.

On April 20, 2009, Brown was named NBA Coach of the Year after guiding the Cavaliers to a franchise best 66–16 record.[3]

On May 13, 2010, Brown and the Cleveland Cavaliers were eliminated by the Boston Celtics in the Conference Semifinals of the 2010 NBA Playoffs. With this loss, the Cavaliers became the first team in NBA history to accomplish back-to-back 60+ win seasons and not advance to the NBA Finals.[4]

Brown was fired on May 24, 2010.[5][6] In December 2010, he began working with ESPN as a studio analyst.[7]

After leaving Cleveland Cavaliers, Brown was the assistant coach on his son's middle school team. He was the coach for the Westlake Lee Burneson Middle School team in Ohio. He turned down an offer to serve as an assistant at St. Mary’s College in California. “I’m a glorified equipment guy who gets to chest bump and high-five the players,” Brown said. “The kids still call me coach.” [8]

Los Angeles Lakers

On May 25, 2011, Brown agreed to be Phil Jackson's successor and become the new head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. He reportedly agreed to a 4-year deal, with a team option to keep him under contract for the fourth year.[9] On May 31, 2011, he was officially named the Lakers' new head coach.[10] The 2011–12 season was shortened to 66 games by the lockout that season, and the Lakers were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs.[11]

Before the 2012–13 season, Brown decided the Lakers would use the Princeton offense.[12] The Lakers then acquired All-Stars Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, giving them a starting lineup of five All-Stars with a combined 33 All-Star game appearances.[13] The Lakers were winless in eight games in the preseason.[14] On November 9, 2012, Brown was fired after the Lakers started the regular season with a 1–4 record.[15] Nash had played just 1 1⁄2 games due to injury, Howard was playing but recovering from back surgery, and Kobe Bryant had been playing with an injured foot and was unable to practice.[16] The team was still adjusting to the new offense and committing a high number of turnovers; the defense, a specialty of Brown's, was also vulnerable.[17][11] The Lakers, however, had an urgency to win and were not compelled to wait given their aging stars, Howard's pending free agency the coming summer, and owner Jerry Buss' deteriorating health.[16][18] Brown's dismissal after five games was the third-fastest coaching change in NBA history.[19] Assistant coach Bernie Bickerstaff served as the Lakers' interim head coach until Mike D'Antoni took over.[20]

Comment

I voted NO simply because I DO NOT want BC to fire yet another coach (assuming BC gets his option picked up for one more year). Come on guys...... How many times are we going to go through this?? The ONLY person that needs to be FIRED is Bryan Collangelo. PERIOD.

I personally don't care either way if DC is fired. BUT I would rather a NEW GM make that decision.

If BC gets a chance to fire DC and then brings in another coach, the next GM (there will be a new GM because BC sucks) will want to bring in his own coach. We need some stability here! For the sake of JV, Ross, Demar, etc. we need to let DC finish out his contract (last year anyways) and let the new GM evaluate the roster and make the decision.

Now, if he DC is fired I think we should give Brian Shaw a shot.

Brian Shaw won 3 championships as a player for the Lakers and won 2 championships as an Assistant Coach with the lakers. He has been an assistant with the Indiana pacers for the past few years. I think he deserves a shot AND he spent a lot of time as a player and an assistant coach to Phil "I have 11 more rings than you" Jackson.

Beggers can't be choosers people! You don't get much better than this.....Brian Shaw can call up Phil and get coaching advice!

Comment

Yes he should be fired. SVG, Larry Brown or if they want to go cheap Terry Porter, are my preferred choices.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Keep him. We need some continuity for once.

But if we were making changes, SVG would be epic (I can only imagine what he'd say about this team in post-games), but realy our best choices are likely to be Mike Brown, Brian Shaw (triangle might work since Lowry is more of a SG anyway), then Scott Skiles.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I cannot stress enough how overrated Mike Brown is. If Casey's offensive ineptitude frustrates you, Brown will put you in a coma.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Fire BC, keep Casey for another year, let him actually run the team without having his hand forced to "run n gun" or give AB (or anyone else) undeserved minutes.

If he really has lost the team then:

SVG — he could be had for the right price
                Shaw — Give him a chance, he got screwed by Baby Buss
                Malone — Best Raptors coach, IMO, and has always been praised by players and staff

All the coaches who've been fired this past year deserved it and their teams really did quit on them. In most cases these guys should've been fired a long time ago. Gentry, Hollins, Skiles etc.
                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  I cannot stress enough how overrated Mike Brown is.
                  Totally agree. His success came when he coached a team that was building around the LEGENDARY James.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I voted yes, but the only time you fire Casey is if BC is let go. It makes no sense to have BC get another coach. BC is the problem. If he gets another coach, it will be another "yes" man and he'll only pick an unestablished coach in the league.

Also if BC hires another guy who's to say that the next GM (assuming there will be one) will want to keep that coach in place?

If BC is gone, then I'm all for a new coach. My preference is Larry Brown. He'd be a short term option but he'd be able to turn this franchise into a some what respectable one until they can get someone more permanent in.

I do realize he can be a bit of a douche, but he's had success - and lots of it. The team needs someone that knows how to win.

Comment

BRAD STEVENS

...if not available, then Shaka Smart.

I do like Casey, though.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I voted yes, but the only time you fire Casey is if BC is let go. It makes no sense to have BC get another coach. BC is the problem. If he gets another coach, it will be another "yes" man and he'll only pick an unestablished coach in the league.

Also if BC hires another guy who's to say that the next GM (assuming there will be one) will want to keep that coach in place?

If BC is gone, then I'm all for a new coach. My preference is Larry Brown. He'd be a short term option but he'd be able to turn this franchise into a some what respectable one until they can get someone more permanent in.

I do realize he can be a bit of a douche, but he's had success - and lots of it. The team needs someone that knows how to win.
                        I hope both are gone.

Problem with Brown is he makes Casey look good when it comes to giving rookies a chance.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I hope both are gone.

Problem with Brown is he makes Casey look good when it comes to giving rookies a chance.
                          Well that is okay, we don't have any draft picks this year, thanks to BC

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I hope both are gone.

I actually don't believe that.. I posted this in another thread, and evidence shows that Brown plays a lot of rookies, and gives them heavy minutes. In Philly he gave a lot of minutes to AI and Stackhouse. In Detroit Prince played over 32 mpg. In Indiana, Dale Davis as a sophomore played the most minutes on the team.

Charlotte was a different story, but they had guys like Morrison, Hollins, Brown and Dudley.

Comment

What i want: Fire BC, Give Casey the option, see what he does with the team next season then determine whether to extend or not from there.
                              What will probably happen: Both get extended.

JV shouldve been BC's last hurrah. They shouldve fired him after picking JV, at least he still had some dignity intact. I think his reputation in the league is now sort of a saver of scraps. A taker of incognito stars. The raptors need a GM with fresh ideas and new strategies.

Casey seems like an old school coach, and we all know back then, unless youre a #1 draft pick you really wont get that much burn on the floor. Maybe JV and Ross were not earning their keep during practices thats why Casey were'nt giving them time during games.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                I actually don't believe that.. I posted this in another thread, and evidence shows that Brown plays a lot of rookies, and gives them heavy minutes. In Philly he gave a lot of minutes to AI and Stackhouse. In Detroit Prince played over 32 mpg. In Indiana, Dale Davis as a sophomore played the most minutes on the team.

Charlotte was a different story, but they had guys like Morrison, Hollins, Brown and Dudley.
                                Thanks for that.

Listening too much to the stereotype I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X