Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eric Gordon?

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching NOH vs LAL. I know it's the lakers but no one can keep EG infront of them. When he gets pass the guard he finds a way to finish amount the trees(Dwight and Pau). Has 15 at half and hasn't made a 3 yet.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You all know what i think of DeRozan but NO WAY in hell i'd trade him for Gordon. Why? yeah Gordon is the better player of the 2 but the guy can't stay healthy and seems to have an attitude problem. DeRozan on the other hand hasn't missed a game in what, 2 years?
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Without even talking about his attitude and injury woes, Eric Gordon is overpaid and overrated. He's a good offensive player, and that's about it and he's only played for really bad teams. In fact, Gordon has never been on a team that has won 40% of its games.

I think we should trade DeRozan but Gordon is not the answer.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but IIIIFFFF Gordon can stay healthy that's a pretty sick combination of Lowry, Gordon and Gay on the floor, with our two headed monster of JV and Amir taking alley oop's and easy put backs with all the pressure K-Lo, EG & RG are putting on perimeter defenders.

Post Thanks / Like

It's sick in terms of the talent on the floor but that's still 3 guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective. I would not mind at all if we "dumbed down" the SG position by trading DeRozan for a legit starting PF and letting Ross/Landry sort things out. There's just too many ball dominant guys for us to operate as a functional unit.
    your pal,
    ebrian

6. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    It's sick in terms of the talent on the floor but that's still 3 guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective. I would not mind at all if we "dumbed down" the SG position by trading DeRozan for a legit starting PF and letting Ross/Landry sort things out. There's just too many ball dominant guys for us to operate as a functional unit.
    I see what you're saying, but don't agree completely. I think Lowry has been showing everyone (sometimes to the fans' dismay) that he isn't as ball dominant as orginally thought. He is doing what a lot of us were hoping he would do once Calderon was traded and that is taking a step back offensively in order to give DeMar and Gay more touches.

By trading DeRozan for Gordon you are getting another player whom can create for himself whereas DeMar doesn't have those kind of abilities. He can post up smaller guards, but as we've seen all too often when the defense tightens up he starts chucking long two's or defers to Lowry or Gay. Gordon is a legit scoring threat game in and game out no matter the defender. He's putting up nearly 17 pts a game in as unmotivated a situation in New Orleans as there is. Perhaps he needs a fresh start.

I'm on the fence on this trade to tell you the truth. If Gordon can stay healthy it's a no brainer to me.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is this isn't Lowry's game. We traded a first round pick for Lowry and people can say all they want about the weak draft class but by principle that's still a first round pick. It's a clear indication that the team sees Lowry as our future point guard and as such I think we need to use him in a way that highlights his abilities.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but now you're off topic. You were saying that we have too many ball dominant players on our team, and to that I say Lowry has changed his game to fit the teams needs which is the sign of a professional imo.

I think he's still evolving his game to fit the teams needs. He's already learnt how to take his foot off the gas and to allow others to play their game. Now he needs to learn how to take over games when it's required.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to jump off topic. I just think that Lowry can be utilized in a different way and we should at least entertain that thought. Lowry *can* distribute, but that hasn't resulted in wins (his other way of playing didn't result in wins either, but at least he was playing to his strengths).

Getting a guy like Gordon absolutely forces Lowry to play like.. Calderon. He's not Calderon.

Anyway switching back to Gordon -- how's his defense? He's obviously undersized, but how's his D? Lowry's undersized too.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

We need a player who can score on the low block with his back to the basket and draw double teams, opening the lane for our plethora of cutters. Moving DD for Gordon doesn't solve anything and the injury risk is too big.

12. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordon's defense I think is much like DeMar's in that it's pretty poor, so it would be a wash. Lowry though on the short side has good strength so it's not easy for bigger guards to post him up and he has pretty good speed to kee up with the quick guards as well. In the end good offense will always beat good defense. For example Sefolosha from OKC always guards Kobe, but Kobe still gets his points.

Gordon shines on offense though. He's a better 3 point shooter than both DeMar and Gay, so he'd be better at spacing the floor than DeMar, he can create for himself which again is one of those things that DD struggles with, and frankly he has a higher basketball IQ than DD. Only issue is his health.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    We need a player who can score on the low block with his back to the basket and draw double teams, opening the lane for our plethora of cutters. Moving DD for Gordon doesn't solve anything and the injury risk is too big.
    The opportunity for a big that can score in the post hasn't presented itself unless you want to take on the Boozer contract. The cap situation won't allow us to sign a stud PF, so trades are currently our only option to improve the team.

I feel the same way about Gordon's injury problem, but I felt the same way about Steph Curry, and K. Love is also one of those players which I'm comparing Gordon's history with injuries to. If you would trade a healthy Amir for K. Love, then why not DeMar for Gordon right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    The opportunity for a big that can score in the post hasn't presented itself unless you want to take on the Boozer contract. The cap situation won't allow us to sign a stud PF, so trades are currently our only option to improve the team.

I feel the same way about Gordon's injury problem, but I felt the same way about Steph Curry, and K. Love is also one of those players which I'm comparing Gordon's history with injuries to. If you would trade a healthy Amir for K. Love, then why not DeMar for Gordon right?
    Cause DD isn't that much of a drop off from Gordon offensively. DD is a poor defender but his height make a different at times. Gordon is better lateral and has the same wingspan as DeMar(6'9" wingspan). That's pretty good for standing 6'3" 1/4 I'm shoes.

I like this cause DD and RG score from the same areas. DD has a midrange game, post game and just attacking the rim. Rudy does the same but he can stretch it out to the 3 when hot. EG it's simple a 3 or I'm getting to the rim. Which I find a pretty good fit next to Rudy. Gordon attack the rim fearlessly!

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the other day if the Raptors don't make any moves in the off season the only way they really improve is if JV goes bananas and has a break out year next season. Just say he becomes the post player we were hoping for whenever we talk about flipping AB for Milsap, Jefferson etc.. Then you are going to need better shooters around him to take advantage of the double teams he will draw and for that purpose Gordon is already a better fit. Food for thought.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the other day if the Raptors don't make any moves in the off season the only way they really improve is if JV goes bananas and has a break out year next season. Just say he becomes the post player we were hoping for whenever we talk about flipping AB for Milsap, Jefferson etc.. Then you are going to need better shooters around him to take advantage of the double teams he will draw and for that purpose Gordon is already a better fit. Food for thought.
    Not really food for thought with Gordon. We need shooters, just like Casey said at the end of last season(...), but you don't have to get overpaid high injury risk players who generally need the ball in their hand. For spacing we also need corner shooters, not players who like to have their ball in their hand, and if they shoot threes, it's from above the key.

The way we can improve besides getting better talent is by getter better fits on the team, getting (better) defensive systems in place, getting more consistency out of our players, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying we should go after overpaid or high injury risk players, but if you think we can sign the JJ Redick's of the NBA with whatever little we can offer them in the current financial position we are in, you might be fooling yourself. And also with no post presence I would prioritize getting a talented player whom can create for himself over a specialized player that stretches the floor for the ghost of Chris Bosh to take advantage of in the post.

Internal growth is one thing, and I'm sure there will be some of that, but as I mentioned in my previous post unless JV goes ape shit on the NBA next season we have more need of players that can create than ones whose sole job is to stand in the corner and hit 3's, imo.

Post Thanks / Like

You create space by spreading the floor for Gay and Lowry, just like they have to suck in defenders to get good 3pt opportunities. You don't have to go for the most popular players like reddick; there are plenty of players who can, more or less, fulfill that role.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what your saying but Gordon's 3 point shooting has decline every year( .389, .371, .364, .250, .325).

Post Thanks / Like

@ Soft euro

I don't see your points as a priority at this time as much as the need for star talent but that's just my opinion. To me it sounds like you are saying we should either build a supporting cast without the core on the roster first or that you think that the current core is good enough and that we are a better supporting cast away from competing.
    Last edited by Mediumcore; Wed Apr 10th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I agree with what your saying but Gordon's 3 point shooting has decline every year( .389, .371, .364, .250, .325).
    Last year (0,250) he played only a few games. This year he has played about half the games after being out for almost two years. If he ever gets healthy again for a longer stretch it wouldn't be weird if he gets to slightly above average again.

Thread Information