Thread: Jalen Rose says a wonderful thing and then a dumb thing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jalen Rose says a wonderful thing and then a dumb thing

Go to about the 32 minute mark, discussing Damian Lillard doing all 5 events in the all-star game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCk3M...re=c4-overview

I completely agree with Dragic over Lillard in the all-star game, and more importantly, I hate when players talk about their brand.

...and then he says Terrance Jones.

Sigh. Being a Raptors fan...

Post Thanks / Like

He does say Terrance Ross later in the video.

I feel better.

Let's talk about how stupid brands are.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean you didnt go running to your local LCBO when you heard Gretzky had a branded Chablis on the shelves?

It's ridiculous this concept of celebrity, sports person, actor etc. becoming a "brand" unto them self. It is in a sense the height of a form of narcissism that they consider their name to have achieved a level of ubiquity that even a product bearing no relationship to any skill set they are otherwise known for will sustain a market for any period.

As far as basketball goes, I believe Michael Jordan is the only one who has achieved this. And that was with the association with the big daddy of marketeers and sportswear, Nike (not unlike another behemoth, Apple). Simply put, if someone says "I bought a new pair of Jordan's today" most if not all would know what you meant. Replace Jordan with Bosh (one of his excuses for leaving was to achieve brand status) and one is likely to get a blank stare.

Raptors Republic Rookie 92TillInfinity's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Man them new Bosh's is fiiiiirrreeee yo.

Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys. "Brand" is a term that marketers and the like came up with to basically rope in all the many facets of an athletes public perception. They bastardized it from the true meaning. I agree, it somehow rubs the wrong way and sounds completely self absorbed, and when the athlete himself uses it in the wrong setting, it can seem painfully narcissistic, however for the most part, its just a way of generalizing how a player is perceived by the public for marketing purposes.

6. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could say portfolio and it would make people feel alot better- and sound a lot more professional. It wouldn't cover as much as brand does, but brand makes you sound closer to Kanye West than Bill Gates.

Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

yup.

Thread Information