Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 214

Thread: Giannis Adetokunbo 6-9 Greek Freak

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not the best guy to take advice from
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    This is coming from the guy who said all these players are Greek:
    Haha, whanted to say the same
    #FREE

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Ok man, calm down. The information on this kid is flawed because he came out of nowhere.

    Do you have any evidence of how well he is doing in the A2 league?

    *And possibly, any links to videos against such competition? Partly because I don't buy what you say about the competition. I've seen some ACB, LKL and Greek A1 ball...the bad teams in those leagues are arguably worse than better NCAA teams, so I can't see the quality of the A2 being that high, especially with the drop off after the better teams....just to say that the league he's playing in could easily affect his draft position. My thought is that at best, the better teams are about the same as the better NCAA teams.
    Yes, there are full games of him from the A2 league available to watch for free on the internet.

    Seriously.......NCAA better than top European leagues like ACB and A1..................... That's hugely insulting to European basketball.

    It's become clear to me that this forum has an exceptionally low basketball knowledge.
    Last edited by Basilis; Fri Apr 12th, 2013 at 06:34 AM.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    This is coming from the guy who said all these players are Greek:
    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Not the best guy to take advice from

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Haha, whanted to say the same
    Not one person here was able to disprove the Greek citizenship, living in Greece as kids, or being raised in Greece, and Greek basketball development of those players. NOT ONE person.

    You just trolled, OUTRIGHT BLATANTLY LIED, and acted like incredibly rude, xenophobic and ignorant jerks.

    Yeah, they have Greek citizenship, they were learning basketball in Greece, etc. But yeah, suddenly none of that is true because a few IGNORANT clown trolls on this forum said so.

    You have ZERO credibility. ZERO.

    I mean yeah, nothing Greek at all about this guy (after all, he's just doing TV shows in his HOME country Greece to show people in USA where he came from and where he still lived in summers during NBA off season - yeah how the hell could he be Greek???):



    Seriously, you are so ignorant it's disgusting.
    Last edited by Basilis; Fri Apr 12th, 2013 at 06:42 AM.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Yes, there are full games of him from the A2 league available to watch for free on the internet.

    Seriously.......NCAA better than top European leagues like ACB and A1..................... That's hugely insulting to European basketball.

    It's become clear to me that this forum has an exceptionally low basketball knowledge.
    Ok, well first off, I said the A2 is at best probably around the better NCAA level, and that the worst A1 teams are arguably worse than the better NCAA teams. This isn't so outlandish.

    I have watched plenty of ACB and A1 ball. The bad teams in those leagues are really really bad. I would say that in any given year, such weak teams are arguably worse than top NCAA teams, which can be stacked with one and done talent (like last year's Kentucky team). Last year's Kentucky team was better than some NBA teams according to certain analysts....are you telling me that still every team in the A1, and even A2 was better than them?

    So, I don't think anyone is being too ignorant...and I question your objectivity
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 12th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    481
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Ok, well first off, I said the A2 is at best probably around the better NCAA level, and that the worst A1 teams are arguably worse than the better NCAA teams. This isn't so outlandish.

    I have watched plenty of ACB and A1 ball. The bad teams in those leagues are really really bad. I would say that in any given year, such weak teams are arguably worse than top NCAA teams, which can be stacked with one and done talent (like last year's Kentucky team). Last year's Kentucky team was better than some NBA teams according to certain analysts....are you telling me that still every team in the A1, and even A2 was better than them?

    So, I don't think anyone is being too ignorant...and I question your objectivity

    I don't know anything about this kid...all I know is that if you can get a 6'10 SF, I usually would take them.

    Problem is he doesn't seem to be an elite offensive player....I think he would benefit from a year or two in the NCAA...

    I hope no one yells at me...I will go on record and say that Greece is great, all basketball players from Greece, who lived in Greece or who have BEEN to Greece are also great

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he does have really excellent control and instincts, two things you can't really coach. very intriguing prospect.
    @jerboat

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I don't know anything about this kid...all I know is that if you can get a 6'10 SF, I usually would take them.

    Problem is he doesn't seem to be an elite offensive player....I think he would benefit from a year or two in the NCAA...

    I hope no one yells at me...I will go on record and say that Greece is great, all basketball players from Greece, who lived in Greece or who have BEEN to Greece are also great
    Oh I totally agree that he's fully worth a pick. And I have no problem with him playing in Europe for a year or two in the ACB or A1 (his contract is owned by an ACB team, so he should be over there next year). My comments originally were just to point out that the league (or leagues after being corrected) he's playing in are not exactly high-calibre competition, and that it just adds to how unpredictable his situation is. He's a hugely intriguing talent, but if the Raps wanted to target him, I don't know what kind of pick it would take ....20s? a 2nd rounder?

    About offense, tha'ts extra hard to tell with a young player who just had a growth spurt. He looks to have good skill level, so I'd have to think some aspects of his O will come along just fine, and some may even be stalling as he fills out. As ceez noted, he has solid control and instincts, so I don't think you're looking at a pure physical talent, there are definitely some impressive ball skills there to build off.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Not one person here was able to disprove the Greek citizenship, living in Greece as kids, or being raised in Greece, and Greek basketball development of those players. NOT ONE person.

    You just trolled, OUTRIGHT BLATANTLY LIED, and acted like incredibly rude, xenophobic and ignorant jerks.

    Yeah, they have Greek citizenship, they were learning basketball in Greece, etc. But yeah, suddenly none of that is true because a few IGNORANT clown trolls on this forum said so.

    You have ZERO credibility. ZERO.

    I mean yeah, nothing Greek at all about this guy (after all, he's just doing TV shows in his HOME country Greece to show people in USA where he came from and where he still lived in summers during NBA off season - yeah how the hell could he be Greek???):



    Seriously, you are so ignorant it's disgusting.
    Can I summarize your post? If yes, then:
    "Greece, Greek, Xenophobic, Home country, Greek, Lied, Zero, clown trolls, ignorant, disgusting, jerks"

    So you're basically saying
    That we are rude.
    That you love Greece.
    That you love every player who has played in Greece.
    That you are nationalist.
    That you are here to debate everything Greece related


    And I'm basically saying.
    This is Raptors fans forum.
    You don't seem to be nice and reliable source.
    And:
    #FREE

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Can I summarize your post? If yes, then:
    "Greece, Greek, Xenophobic, Home country, Greek, Lied, Zero, clown trolls, ignorant, disgusting, jerks"

    So you're basically saying
    That we are rude.
    That you love Greece.
    That you love every player who has played in Greece.
    That you are nationalist.
    That you are here to debate everything Greece related


    And I'm basically saying.
    This is Raptors fans forum.
    You don't seem to be nice and reliable source.
    And:
    Hahahaha i literally fell on the floor laughing
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Not one person here was able to disprove the Greek citizenship, living in Greece as kids, or being raised in Greece, and Greek basketball development of those players. NOT ONE person.

    You just trolled, OUTRIGHT BLATANTLY LIED, and acted like incredibly rude, xenophobic and ignorant jerks.

    Yeah, they have Greek citizenship, they were learning basketball in Greece, etc. But yeah, suddenly none of that is true because a few IGNORANT clown trolls on this forum said so.

    You have ZERO credibility. ZERO.

    I mean yeah, nothing Greek at all about this guy (after all, he's just doing TV shows in his HOME country Greece to show people in USA where he came from and where he still lived in summers during NBA off season - yeah how the hell could he be Greek???):



    Seriously, you are so ignorant it's disgusting.
    Know any good Greek restaurants?
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Know any good Greek restaurants?
    in Toronto? Mezes gets a lot of attention....I've always had a soft spot for Pantheon. If you want a souvlaki pita, you can't beat Square Boy for quick and cheap. It's hard to find good quick (and authentic) gyros, but if you're on the Danforth to sit for a meal, Messini had pretty solid gyro meals....If you're on Pape, you can get a wicked chicken gyro from Folia Grill.

    All this has to consider I haven't lived in Toronto for a few years.

    *I know you're probably kidding. But Toronto has pretty good Greek food.

    **And avoid anything called Mr. Greek or the Friendly Greek and such....
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 12th, 2013 at 11:39 AM.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Can I summarize your post? If yes, then:
    "Greece, Greek, Xenophobic, Home country, Greek, Lied, Zero, clown trolls, ignorant, disgusting, jerks"

    So you're basically saying
    That we are rude.
    That you love Greece.
    That you love every player who has played in Greece.
    That you are nationalist.
    That you are here to debate everything Greece related


    And I'm basically saying.
    This is Raptors fans forum.
    You don't seem to be nice and reliable source.
    And:
    My goodness. Are the Golden Dawn taking over RR too?

    But on a serious note, I did appreciate Balisis' views.... but a chill pill is in order.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    481
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Know any good Greek restaurants?
    HAHAHAHAHA amazing

    so was the spongebob thing....

    what were we talkingn about?

    O yeah,

    White men can't jump....

    my concern with guys like that is that when they grow like this at that age, they don't settle into a position...more importantly a skill set.

    then they say they are "good at everything", which they are...but you have to be great at everything to be a player in the NBA and really great at at least 1 thing to secure a job there.

    I am just saying it's not like hes a 6'10 guy who can shoot the lights out or dribble particularly well. He should test himself against AMERICAN players and AMERICAN systems to see how he fairs before we look at taking him

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA amazing

    so was the spongebob thing....

    what were we talkingn about?

    O yeah,

    White men can't jump....

    my concern with guys like that is that when they grow like this at that age, they don't settle into a position...more importantly a skill set.

    then they say they are "good at everything", which they are...but you have to be great at everything to be a player in the NBA and really great at at least 1 thing to secure a job there.

    I am just saying it's not like hes a 6'10 guy who can shoot the lights out or dribble particularly well. He should test himself against AMERICAN players and AMERICAN systems to see how he fairs before we look at taking him
    Lots of guys have late growth spurt. T-Mac grew 2 or 3 inches after getting drafted. IT didn't hinder his development, and his game was really raw when he came into the league.

    This really isn't true though. Basilis is right about that aspect of things....ACB or GreekA1 are both very good leagues, generally a much higher level than NCAA, and just below NBA for the better teams. The problem is Giannis hasn't even played at that level yet. The A2 league can't be a good measuring stick if most elite Euro-to-NBA prospects are judged from play in the top division.

    It definitely clouds things that he hasn't really played against significant men's competition. At the same time, that's clearly part of the reason he's likely to be drafted this season instead of next. He looks to possibly have lottery potential, but due to his sudden surge onto the scene this year, could be snagged with a lower pick. IF he went next year, his stock could well be higher if he keeps developing, and so low 1st rd teams (playoff teams) will definitely take the chance to draft such a talent now, since they have less access to such players. Especially teams that are frequently in the playoffs.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 12th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,041
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wait a minute Basilis you call people trolls because they get information from "reliable" sources, yet you refuse to post links to your evidence?

    1/If he was Greek when reports on him came out why was his eldest brother forced to play pro soccer in Nigeria?
    2/Why has he not played a second for the Greek National team at any age group?
    3/Where are all the links to video of his games at the pro level?

    Computers are amazing, they can do this thing called translating languages. Post links to Greek websites if you have to.
    Everyone here has read the posts at Draft Express-- a website run by a scout who works for NBA teams.

    Am I to believe you? A person who just spits angry venom and accuses people of being trolls for believing reliable sources? Or, should I believe websites run by professionals who have manners, and understand the concept of evidence. Funny, you come from the country that created the concept of debate yet you lack the ability to use the basic tools of the concept (Building an argument using widely excepted evidence or sources).

    As a person who carries an EU passport I will continue to believe that he is not a Greek citizen because I know better than most how difficult it is for people of African heritage to get citizenship to any EU nation regardless of being born there. The saving grace of his family is that all three sons appear to be special athletes in a country that respects sporting talent. If he is a citizen of Greece I'll gladly step back. But until you are willing to post news reports, or evidence to the contrary YOU good sir are the troll.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Ok, well first off, I said the A2 is at best probably around the better NCAA level, and that the worst A1 teams are arguably worse than the better NCAA teams. This isn't so outlandish.

    I have watched plenty of ACB and A1 ball. The bad teams in those leagues are really really bad. I would say that in any given year, such weak teams are arguably worse than top NCAA teams, which can be stacked with one and done talent (like last year's Kentucky team). Last year's Kentucky team was better than some NBA teams according to certain analysts....are you telling me that still every team in the A1, and even A2 was better than them?

    So, I don't think anyone is being too ignorant...and I question your objectivity
    Everything in bold actually is fairly outlandish statements.

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    My goodness. Are the Golden Dawn taking over RR too?

    But on a serious note, I did appreciate Balisis' views.... but a chill pill is in order.
    There are numerous people here making all kinds of very insulting and very xenophobic comments directed towards Greece, Greek players, etc. They are doing that just to be extremely rude and out of line and for no other reason.

    There is NO reason for there to be bashing of Greece or Greek players here just because a discussion about a Greek player came up in the forum. Frankly, an outsider coming here to read this forum is going to think that a lot of the Raptors' fan base is extremely racist based on the comments by a lot of people here.

    The people making these out of line and derogatory statements are the ones that need to take a chill pill. I am only here to discuss BASKETBALL, but then I see post after post insulting a particular country and its people for no reason, other than to be pushing some kind of nationalist xenophobic zealotry.

    It's sad that stuff like that comes up simply from a discussion about a player from a country other than Canada or the USA in the forum. Or the comments like, "this is the same guy that said so and so is Greek..yeah, NOT a reliable source and this guy is a liar" and blah blah blah.

    Hopefully, these people saying this stuff are about 10 years old. Otherwise, they need to grow up. I will be more than happy to answer anything about Adetokoubo, but the derogatory comments about Greece, Greek players, etc. needs to stop.

    It's not too much to ask for that.
    Last edited by Basilis; Sat Apr 13th, 2013 at 07:38 AM.

  18. Like RandomGuy liked this post
  19. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And he strikes again!
    #FREE

  20. #39
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Wait a minute Basilis you call people trolls because they get information from "reliable" sources, yet you refuse to post links to your evidence?

    1/If he was Greek when reports on him came out why was his eldest brother forced to play pro soccer in Nigeria?
    2/Why has he not played a second for the Greek National team at any age group?
    3/Where are all the links to video of his games at the pro level?

    Computers are amazing, they can do this thing called translating languages. Post links to Greek websites if you have to.
    Everyone here has read the posts at Draft Express-- a website run by a scout who works for NBA teams.

    Am I to believe you? A person who just spits angry venom and accuses people of being trolls for believing reliable sources? Or, should I believe websites run by professionals who have manners, and understand the concept of evidence. Funny, you come from the country that created the concept of debate yet you lack the ability to use the basic tools of the concept (Building an argument using widely excepted evidence or sources).

    As a person who carries an EU passport I will continue to believe that he is not a Greek citizen because I know better than most how difficult it is for people of African heritage to get citizenship to any EU nation regardless of being born there. The saving grace of his family is that all three sons appear to be special athletes in a country that respects sporting talent. If he is a citizen of Greece I'll gladly step back. But until you are willing to post news reports, or evidence to the contrary YOU good sir are the troll.
    Is there an ignore option here?
    Last edited by Basilis; Sat Apr 13th, 2013 at 07:27 AM.

  21. #40
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Everything in bold actually is fairly outlandish statements.



    There are numerous people here making all kinds of very insulting and very xenophobic comments directed towards Greece, Greek players, etc. They are doing that just to be extremely rude and out of line and for no other reason.

    There is NO reason for there to be bashing of Greece or Greek players here just because a discussion about a Greek player came up in the forum. Frankly, an outsider coming here to read this forum is going to think that a lot of the Raptors' fan base is extremely racist based on the comments by a lot of people here.

    The people making these out of line and derogatory statements are the ones that need to take a chill pill. I am only here to discuss BASKETBALL, but then I see post after post insulting a particular country and its people for no reason, other than to be pushing some kind of nationalist xenophobic zealotry.

    It's sad that stuff like that comes up simply from a discussion about a player from a country other than Canada or the USA in the forum. Or the comments like, "this is the same guy that said so and so is Greek..yeah, NOT a reliable source and this guy is a liar" and blah blah blah.

    Hopefully, these people saying this stuff are about 10 years old. Otherwise, they need to grow up. I will be more than happy to answer anything about Adetokoubo, but the derogatory comments about Greece, Greek players, etc. needs to stop.

    It's not too much to ask for that.
    What comments about Adetokunbo were so derogatory?

    Go back and read the thread. You went off on white men can't jump for saying: "He has never played against a high level of competition." TWICE. I am sorry but we are talking about the NBA here, the best league in the world. Players coming out of club/junior teams or playing second tier Euro League competition is hardly top talent. Biyombo played in ACB and JV played in EuroLeague, EuroCup, Baltic League, etc. all top leagues in Europe. The knock on Adetokunbo is he hasn't played against top talent yet - that is a fair statement considering there is still another level of competition in Europe he has yet to play. So he has played against adult competition but adult competition is not necessarily good competition. Providing a link to the league site would have been much more productive and informative for readers.

    THen you went off on blackjitsu for saying: "kid has citizenship nowhere." Well, from all the reports from media/blogs in North America, that is what is being reported. Greece and Nigeria are trying to secure his rights to play for their national teams. Here is a link other than DraftExpress.com. You refer to debunking in Greek media but yet provide no source. Very few people around here take others at their word - back your claims up with sources or prepared to be dismissed.

    white men can't jump then asks you point blank: "Do you have any evidence of how well he is doing in the A2 league?" I don't recall seeing any reply from you on that. Again, provide sources, links, stats or prepared to be dismissed.

    You then go on a tangent because of NoProps saying: "This is coming from the guy who said all these players are Greek:" If NoProps is wrong, why not simply state the Greek connections? That would put him in his place and give you a bit of credibility.

    I am sorry but you are being very irrational and sensitive. I was joking about the Golden Dawn but from what I've read you fit the profile of a member. No one has bashed Greece here and you have taken offense on some pretty petty stuff. This is like a group of people eating fried chicken and someone saying, "I find this chicken too greasy, what do you think?" And then the person flipping out, "What!?!?! I'm black so I have to like fried chicken? You ignorant, racist mo'fo!"



    By the way, since Basilis was more interested in ranting and raving about the homeland, here is a link to Adetokunbo's profile:
    http://basketball.eurobasket.com/pla...ikos_AO/230437
    It has gamelog there. Here is league page from Eurobasket.com:
    http://www.eurobasket.com/Greece/bas...-League-A2.asp


    I'm not going to pretend to know too much about Greek A2 basketball but looking through the site most of the players appear to be in their 20's. However, I do not recognize any of the players. You stated:

    Greek A2 League is loaded with pro players in their 20s and 30s. Guys that played first division in Greece and other good leagues like Italy and Spain..guys that played second European league (Eurocup), guys that played first European league (Euroleague).
    If they are so good, why aren't they still playing there? How much did they play when they were there? How long did they play? Are most players in the A2 league not good enough to play up or are they past their prime and declining? The bottom line is most European guys drafted in the NBA have experience playing in the very top leagues of Europe. Greek A2 is not a top league, period.

    If you come in here making claims, it is on you to back it up. Instead of providing information or enlightening us, you decided to come off like a Golden Dawn spokesperson riling up your own Greek national pride and attempting to engage on the lowest denominator of conversation.


    SO since I provided the stat and league information, maybe you could just provide us with the citizenship media reports so we can put the North American media claims to rest. Thanks. That would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 13th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •