Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 220

Thread: Giannis Adetokunbo 6-9 Greek Freak

  1. #101
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Oh sorry, I missed this in all the madness.
    No worries. I think everyone is just flustered because someone isn't using the etiquette that we usually follow and then calling people slanderous things. A lot of what he says (player wise) is correct but he should go read the rules of these forums before he considers posting here again. So many of us are foreigners, yet he calls all of us xenophobic Canadians (a term I've never heard since moving here). We're all frustrated. No worries...It probably needed to be re-posted anyway.

  2. #102
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I do understand....You don't watch NCAA basketball enough. And I'm not even the biggest NCAA fan, but there's a reason the top NBA prospects in the world, and most of the NBA prospects in general, come from the NCAA, as do many players in European leagues for that matter.

    He IS playign against a low level of competition. You just have to deal with that.
    No, you're wrong, those players playing in high school courts are PRO's and I'm with Basilis this time.
    #FREE

  3. #103
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    For people who can't read Greek and want a story on Giannis....Seriously Basilis, you found an interview about him and you focused on the part about Peja.

    This article sums up his situation in English. Basically the essentials are that he doesn't have his official citizenship yet, but that there's no reason it should be held up. They expect him to get his Greek passport with no problem and be able to play for national teams going forward as an adult. The article also mentions the substandard competition he's been playing, which is something I was saying before. And just before Basilis calls the writer ignorant, I asked one of my best friends, a die hard Greek basktball fan, about him and the A2 league, and he seemed to share my view that it's pretty bad basketball, and not nearly the level of even A1. Sorry I can't reference my friend, but that shouldn't matter apparently. Oh, he also thinks Giannis looks like a good player who should at least be like a poor man's Deng or Batum type, as his offense might struggle to develop to a high level, but he's got amazing athleticism, good instincts and can be a huge factor on D.

    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...5082/arti.html

    Oh, and this article is a bit older than the Greek one, but from what I understood of the Greek one, it's basically the same still...just waiting for the formality of the passport process to go through.
    Can we please set this behind us? Once again, I will explain it.........he does not have a Greek PASSPORT. PASSPORT. That means he cannot travel outside of Greece. He never applied for a Greek passport until very recently. Remember please that this guy just turned 18 not too long ago. He's a kid. He never left Greece, so he never had a reason to get a passport.

    Does this make sense to you? If it does, let's get to the truth here OK?

    He was born in Greece, has lived there his whole life, and is a documented person. He's not an illegal immigrant, an undocumented person, and all this nonsense which is coming from that Draftexpress article. In Greece, it is a law that you cannot attend Greek public schools if you are an undocumented person, and illegal, whatever.

    Giannis and his brothers have been attending public school in Greece since they were very little kids and started at school age. They ARE fully documented, and they are NOT illegal immigrants or any of this other nonsense. This is all a big controversy that got started for no reason from that DX article.

    What he does not have is a Greek PASSPORT. Because he is a kid, and he never traveled outside the country before. So all of a sudden the Nike Hoops Summit came up and he did not have a passport to play in it. Then this whole crazy nonsense started in US media about he's not Greek, he's an illegal, he is undocumented, he does not have citizenship, he can't play for Greece, etc.

    Try to understand this. The issue was a PASSPORT. Which, as FIBA stated, he already applied for. Ioannidis, in that link I posted, clarifies that he already applied for it and that he is being processed now. Ioannidis stated that he is one of many people applying for the passport, so it takes time. They go one by one, in order, from when you applied.

    He can't play at the Nike Hoops Summit because there is a back log of all the people ahead of him on the waiting list that applied before he did. Once it is his time to get processed, then he can travel outside of Greece. But he has to wait for his turn like everyone else.

    Now, is this situation cleared up? I sure hope it is.
    Last edited by Basilis; Sun Apr 14th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.

  4. #104
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Basilis, you're quoted on one of your first posts in this thread as saying he DID have a Greek passport. But I mostly reposted it because I didn't notice it the first time and thought it would clear things up for people who can't read Greek.

    I quote you for the 2nd time since you can't remember what you said:

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    ANOTHER BS from draftexpress............my God this poor kid. Draftexpress article ruining every fact about him.

    He HAS Greek citizenship. He HAS a Greek passport. This whole thing was already debunked in Greek media weeks ago.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 14th, 2013 at 07:12 PM.

  5. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  6. #105
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Can we please set this behind us? Once again, I will explain it.........he does not have a Greek PASSPORT. PASSPORT. That means he cannot travel outside of Greece. He never applied for a Greek passport until very recently. Remember please that this guy just turned 18 not too long ago. He's a kid. He never left Greece, so he never had a reason to get a passport.

    Does this make sense to you? If it does, let's get to the truth here OK?

    He was born in Greece, has lived their his whole life, and is a documented person. He's not an illegal immigrant, an undocumented person, and all this nonsense which is coming from that Draftexpress article. In Greece, it is a law that you cannot attend Greek public schools if you are an undocumented person, and illegal, whatever.

    Giannis and his brothers have been attending public school in Greece since they were very little kids and started at school age. They ARE fully documented, and they are NOT illegal immigrants or any of this other nonsense. This is all a big controversy that got started for no reason from that DX article.

    What he does not have is a Greek PASSPORT. Because he is a kid, and he never traveled outside the country before. So all of a sudden the Nike Hoops Summit came up and he did not have a passport to play in it. Then this whole crazy nonsense started in US media about he's not Greek, he's an illegal, he is undocumented, he does not have citizenship, he can't play for Greece, etc.

    Try to understand this. The issue was a PASSPORT. Which, as FIBA stated he already applied for. Ioannidis, in that link I posted, clarifies that he already applied for it and that he is being processed now. Ioannidis stated that he is one of many people applying for the passport, so it takes time. They go one by one, in order, from when you applied.

    He can't play at the Nike Hoops Summit because there is a back log of all the people ahead of him on the waiting list that applied before he did. Once it is his time to get processed, then he can travel outside of Greece. But he has to wait for his turn like everyone else.

    Now, is this situation explained to you? I sure hope it is.
    Are you saying, you've never claimed that he had a Greek passport?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  7. #106
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like how some people still are trying to use reason.

    Let's vote, who cares if he's Greek or Nigerian or Belgian or German anyway?

  8. #107
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let's start a new thread!



    I don't
    #FREE

  9. #108
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I couldnt care less.. What I do care about though, are false claims. And even more; false quotes!
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  10. #109
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Can we please set this behind us? Once again, I will explain it.........he does not have a Greek PASSPORT. PASSPORT. That means he cannot travel outside of Greece. He never applied for a Greek passport until very recently. Remember please that this guy just turned 18 not too long ago. He's a kid. He never left Greece, so he never had a reason to get a passport.

    Does this make sense to you? If it does, let's get to the truth here OK?

    He was born in Greece, has lived their his whole life, and is a documented person. He's not an illegal immigrant, an undocumented person, and all this nonsense which is coming from that Draftexpress article. In Greece, it is a law that you cannot attend Greek public schools if you are an undocumented person, and illegal, whatever.

    Giannis and his brothers have been attending public school in Greece since they were very little kids and started at school age. They ARE fully documented, and they are NOT illegal immigrants or any of this other nonsense. This is all a big controversy that got started for no reason from that DX article.

    What he does not have is a Greek PASSPORT. Because he is a kid, and he never traveled outside the country before. So all of a sudden the Nike Hoops Summit came up and he did not have a passport to play in it. Then this whole crazy nonsense started in US media about he's not Greek, he's an illegal, he is undocumented, he does not have citizenship, he can't play for Greece, etc.

    Try to understand this. The issue was a PASSPORT. Which, as FIBA stated he already applied for. Ioannidis, in that link I posted, clarifies that he already applied for it and that he is being processed now. Ioannidis stated that he is one of many people applying for the passport, so it takes time. They go one by one, in order, from when you applied.

    He can't play at the Nike Hoops Summit because there is a back log of all the people ahead of him on the waiting list that applied before he did. Once it is his time to get processed, then he can travel outside of Greece. But he has to wait for his turn like everyone else.

    Now, is this situation explained to you? I sure hope it is.
    And for what it's worth, I may have chosen my wording poorly, but to me citizenship is not complete until you have all the documents you could need for it. As such, if I am a foreign national, for example a 2nd generation Greek born in Canada, I am technically (as in legally) a citizen, but I would have no proof of citizenship until I file all the paperwork and get the appropriate identification. If you can't prove you're a citizen, you're effectively not, which is why passports exist.

  11. #110
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Can we please set this behind us? Once again, I will explain it.........he does not have a Greek PASSPORT. PASSPORT. That means he cannot travel outside of Greece. He never applied for a Greek passport until very recently. Remember please that this guy just turned 18 not too long ago. He's a kid. He never left Greece, so he never had a reason to get a passport.

    Does this make sense to you? If it does, let's get to the truth here OK?

    He was born in Greece, has lived their his whole life, and is a documented person. He's not an illegal immigrant, an undocumented person, and all this nonsense which is coming from that Draftexpress article. In Greece, it is a law that you cannot attend Greek public schools if you are an undocumented person, and illegal, whatever.

    Giannis and his brothers have been attending public school in Greece since they were very little kids and started at school age. They ARE fully documented, and they are NOT illegal immigrants or any of this other nonsense. This is all a big controversy that got started for no reason from that DX article.

    What he does not have is a Greek PASSPORT. Because he is a kid, and he never traveled outside the country before. So all of a sudden the Nike Hoops Summit came up and he did not have a passport to play in it. Then this whole crazy nonsense started in US media about he's not Greek, he's an illegal, he is undocumented, he does not have citizenship, he can't play for Greece, etc.

    Try to understand this. The issue was a PASSPORT. Which, as FIBA stated he already applied for. Ioannidis, in that link I posted, clarifies that he already applied for it and that he is being processed now. Ioannidis stated that he is one of many people applying for the passport, so it takes time. They go one by one, in order, from when you applied.

    He can't play at the Nike Hoops Summit because there is a back log of all the people ahead of him on the waiting list that applied before he did. Once it is his time to get processed, then he can travel outside of Greece. But he has to wait for his turn like everyone else.

    Now, is this situation explained to you? I sure hope it is.
    Are multiple people using this account? It is one of only two logical explanations.

    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post203142

    These two posts are by the same person yet are POLAR opposites in content and separated by tangent after slanderous tangent.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  12. Like Soft Euro liked this post
  13. #111
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just wanna bring this back again if you don't mind because I'm a little offended.

    Peja Stojakovic is 100% Serbian due to many obvious reasons.

  14. #112
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    I couldnt care less.. What I do care about though, are false claims. And even more; false quotes!
    Oh, yes, but I tried to get him to give a source on one of these quotes and he just doesn't do it or acknowledge his mistake; or as he would put it, his lies.

  15. #113
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    I just wanna bring this back again if you don't mind because I'm a little offended.

    Peja Stojakovic is 100% Serbian due to many obvious reasons.
    Man, look what's going to happen now..... : /
    #FREE

  16. #114
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Are multiple people using this account? It is one of only two logical explanations.

    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post203142

    These two posts are by the same person yet are POLAR opposites in content and separated by tangent after slanderous tangent.
    Ńgain, it's the crisis. Greece can only afford one internetaccount.

  17. #115
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    You didn't give any source for this. None whatsoever.
    Uh, yes I did. I told you, Peja was asked about this and said that on Greek radio. I then provided you with a source to an article online from Greece's equivalent of ESPN, where the head of Greece's national sports system discussed the meeting he had with Peja, where Peja stated that yes, he is Greek.

    That is what Peja was talking about on the radio when he said he is Greek. And all of it started to become an issue and topic because of this issue with US media claiming Adetokoubo isn't Greek and can't play for Greece.

    It has gotten people in Greece talking about it and wondering why in the hell that would be so. Naturally, people in Greece started asking why the hell could he not play for the national team? So you had Peja asked about this issue, since he was a guy that was Greek but was not allowed to play for the national team, despite wanting to, due to some political issues in the past.

    And since he lives in Greece and speaks Greek, he is thus the natural and logical person you would interview on radio to ask about this. What exactly about this is so hard for you to comprehend?

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Are multiple people using this account? It is one of only two logical explanations.

    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post203142

    These two posts are by the same person yet are POLAR opposites in content and separated by tangent after slanderous tangent.
    He HAS Greek citizenship. Do you not understand that is not the same thing as a passport? Again.....he has applied for the passport, it will be approved (please see FIBA article if you don't believe it)............

    He has applied for it and will get it soon. But he has to wait until they mail it to him, just like everyone else that lives in Greece and applies for one.
    Last edited by Basilis; Sun Apr 14th, 2013 at 08:21 PM.

  18. #116
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just to remind everyone:

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Valanciunas isn't Lithuanian.
    This is not photoshopped.

    I think we're dealing with a very dedicated troll here, but I applaud the effort.

  19. #117
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    He HAS Greek citizenship. Do you not understand that is not the same thing as a passport? Again.....he has applied for the passport, it will be approved (please see FIBA article if you don't believe it)............

    He has applied for it and will get it soon. But he has to wait until they mail it to him, just like everyone else that lives in Greece and applies for one.
    I suggest you go back to post 18 (or the link I provided you) where you explicitly state, and I quote:

    He HAS Greek citizenship. He HAS a Greek passport. This whole thing was already debunked in Greek media weeks ago.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  20. Like Soft Euro liked this post
  21. #118
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    I understand the problem now.. You gotta stop using Quote marks when you are paraphrasing.
    I couldnt find any interviews referring to his nationality, and you refused to give a source until your tantrum.

    And honestly, can you really blame me? Your credibility is incredibly low, specifically due to that list earlier in the thread of 'Greek NBA stars' who really werent very Greek.
    Why? Is this improper English? I learned at the American school in Athens.

    They ARE Greek though. That is the thing. Why do you insist on saying they are not Greek, even though they are?

  22. #119
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Basilis wrote: View Post
    Uh, yes I did. I told you, Peja was asked about this and said that on Greek radio. I then provided you with a source to an article online from Greece's equivalent of ESPN, where the head of Greece's national sports system discussed the meeting he had with Peja, where Peja stated that yes, he is Greek.

    That is what Peja was talking about on the radio when he said he is Greek. And all of it started to become an issue and topic because of this issue with US media claiming Adetokoubo isn't Greek and can't play for Greece.

    It has gotten people in Greece talking about it and wondering why in the hell that would be so. Naturally, people in Greece started asking why the hell could he not play for the national team. So you had Peja asked about this issue, since he was a guy that was Greek but was not allowed to play for the national team, despite wanting to, due to some political issues in the past.

    And since he lives in Greece and speaks Greek, he is thus the natural and logical person you would interview on radio to ask about this. What exactly about this is so hard for you to comprehend?
    Saying it was on the radio is not giving a source.

    It's very convenient that him basically saying that he is Greek now in reaction to the question "Are you Serbian or Greek?" is from a radio interview which can't be linked to.

  23. #120
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Again, no one EVER posted that stuff, stop using Quotations when you are paraphrasing (especially falsely paraphrasing)

    All you did was post a bogus list of 'Greek' NBA players, to try to prove to us how amazing the Greek nationals are at playing ball, we laughed, we mocked, and your credibility took a large hit.
    They ARE Greek. Yes, you laughed at the TRUTH. Meaning, YOUR credibility took a hit.

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And BTW, as much as I am totally Ok with the source you offer, some thigns to note considering how often you call people liars and ignorant:

    -First off, you originally quoted Peja. You still have not provided a quote from Peja. It's fine not to have one and to use this as a source of information, but you did misrepresent your information. And yes I realize there is plenty of information regarding Peja's nationality easily available on the internet, but still, how you say things impacts how people expect you to back it up.

    -Second, your whole thing originally argued that Giannis has a Greek passport, which HE DOES NOT, but HE DOES EXPECT TO HAVE ONE no problem, as the process has not finished playing out.



    Just some things to keep in mind when you try to discredit people and call them liars.
    But he does have the passport. It's just a formality. He has to wait for it come in the mail, just like anyone else. If I go to get a passport, if you do, any of us, we might have to wait. Does not mean you or I don't have a passport, it's just not there yet.

    About Peja........please I am NOT trying to mislead on anything. He said in Greek radio just that, talking about what we are talking about. I was accused (falsely) of making this up and it was said there is no source anywhere to confirm this.

    So I did a search and the thing I find is what I posted. Where Greece's biggest sports media tells how Peja indeed did just say that he considers himself Greek and not Serbian. Really, how can I be said to be misleading here?

    Please explain to me how I did anything wrong, or how I mislead in any way?

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Okay, show me where in this thread or the Pappas those things have been said. Because I've read through every page, and I have not seen anyone other than you talk about his wife, his kids, what language he speaks, where he's served, and or even what citizenship he has. Total strawman argument.

    I think it's an interesting question what really determines someone's national identity, whether it's what passport they have, where they live, where they were born, or what nationality they most identify with. It's totally fine for you as a Greek to identify everyone who has lived in Greece and talked positively about it as Greek. For those of us with an international interest in basketball, the fact that he's played internationally for Yugoslavia is really the most important consideration.
    So the fact that he has lived in Greece since he was 16 means nothing? That he wanted to play for Greece and had to play for Yugoslavia because of the political issues means nothing? I see.

    So according to you, Hakeem is American then? He played for USA. What about Seikaly? He played for USA too.

    What about Jaycee Caroll and Spencer Nelson? I believe they play for Azerbaijan. What nationality are they?

    What about Omar Cook? He plays for Montenegro.

    Becky Hammon plays for Russia. What's her nationality?

    What about J.R. Holden? He played for Russia.

    Dontaye Draper would be what nationality? He plays for Croatia.

    I mean come on, please get serious.
    Last edited by Basilis; Sun Apr 14th, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •