Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ Hickson

What do you guys think of JJ Hickson?

Seem like a younger, cheaper Carlos Boozer.

He's been asked to play the 5 spot in Portland and i think he's done well but they now want a legit Center so that makes him dispensible. But if the Raps make him a starting PF, he's probably do better.

Thoughts?

Hickson is reportedly notoriously bad on defense; I haven't seen much of him this year, but from all I've read he's going to be overpaid for underwhelming play and some nice boxscore stats from time to time.

Comment

I think he could be an option...but far from an ideal one. Hopefully only a guy they would get if they're unable to acquire one of their top targets.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        Hickson is reportedly notoriously bad on defense; I haven't seen much of him this year, but from all I've read he's going to be overpaid for underwhelming play and some nice boxscore stats from time to time.
        His DRtg is 106. Bosh is 103, Amir is 104 and Griffin is 102. So i guess its not that bad. Considering Portland is 108 and Aldridge is 107. If he plays beside a good defender like JV, his defense will probably rate higher than current.

I havent seen him play though, im wondering if he has a good post up game.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
          His DRtg is 106. Bosh is 103, Amir is 104 and Griffin is 102. So i guess its not that bad. Considering Portland is 108 and Aldridge is 107. If he plays beside a good defender like JV, his defense will probably rate higher than current.

The Blazers allow a lot of points in the paint and he's playing C; that can't be good.

Comment

For the money he will want and the fact that he is only 1 year younger than Amir, I say no thanks. He may score a little more than Amir and rebound a little better, but he does not seem to move the ball well or block shots for a big, also shoots less than 70% free throws.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

The Blazers allow a lot of points in the paint and he's playing C; that can't be good.
              At 6'9" he's not supposed to be a center. But he's playing center and LA who is way taller than him is playing PF. If you can slide him to PF and with JV at C, that could be a good tandem. The guy has wide body and uses his muscle in the paint.

If he has a legit post up game, i think he deserves consideration.

Comment

What do you guys think of JJ Hickson?

Seem like a younger, cheaper Carlos Boozer.

He's been asked to play the 5 spot in Portland and i think he's done well but they now want a legit Center so that makes him dispensible. But if the Raps make him a starting PF, he's probably do better.

Thoughts?
                Talented, hands of stone, disinterested defender at best, very difficult to coach. That was Hickson when he was in Cleveland.

He was waived by the Kings less than 1 season after they paid a first round pick + Assfingers to acquire his services. That says a lot about his character and it's consistent with the character he displayed in Cleveland.

He has put up better stats with the Trail Blazers.

But it's JJ and I can't get rid of the memories of his days in Cleveland; I do not want him on a team I support.

Comment

At 6'9" he's not supposed to be a center. But he's playing center and LA who is way taller than him is playing PF. If you can slide him to PF and with JV at C, that could be a good tandem. The guy has wide body and uses his muscle in the paint.

If he has a legit post up game, i think he deserves consideration.
                  Looking at the situational stats over at synergy, he doesn't do very well in post-ups, 0,72 ppp. His defensive stats at synergy are pretty terrible though, even if he plays out of position.

Comment

Looking at the situational stats over at synergy, he doesn't do very well in post-ups, 0,72 ppp. His defensive stats at synergy are pretty terrible though, even if he plays out of position.
                    Ack. Nevermind then. Back to Millsap.

Comment

Is Jonas a good defender?
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Is Jonas a good defender?
                        He's a Rookie...

Comment

Beware the contract year.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Beware the contract year.
                            Hickson is a decent player, but he is certainly playing above himself right now. Contract year might say it all, but at the same time, he is a young athletic big (a bit undersized at 6'9"), who is still learning the game. He only played 1 year at NC State, so he wasn't really NBA ready when he joined the league. Portland is one of the worst rebounding teams in the league, depsite having 2 athletic bigs. I would take Hickson on a value contract, but this year he will likely get over-paid by someone, negating many of the benefits. Last year would have been the year to take a flier on him (as Portland did) but with a team option.

His offensive game is pretty non-existent except for dunks and put-backs.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

what do you people want exactly, that somehow the raptors will sign the nba's most perfect center?

boozer's d is no better than hickson. they have no lateral movement. if anything boozer has a slight advantage in this dept because of his size. neither have the height, but make up for it in other ways. boozer's post game is "alright" (not the best, but not terrible). hickson has no post game yet somehow still manages to find the net with much frequency.

if youre going to sign either of these two its for their offensive abilities, not their d. and thats prob something raptors need. amir-jv as an offensive duo is pretty embarrassing. but pair up with a forward like boozer or hickson, sounds a bit better on paper.

Comment

Working...
                              X