Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Shooters, shooters, shooters!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Shooters, shooters, shooters!!

    That's should be the MAIN priority for the Raps to upgrade this offseason. A spot up 3pt sharpshooter. Kyle Korver is a UFA after this season. Can we afford him?

    Another one that is probably flying under the radar is Luke Babbitt. Not a household name but a great 3pt shooter.

    If you asked me a few months ago on what should be the Raps main priority to upgrade this summer i would easily say a PF that can score on the post. But with the emergence of Amir this season i'm more than happy with him as the team's starting PF going forward. I still would love to see them add another veteran big though like an Elton Brand.

    As for that low post guy that we desperately need. We probably already have him and his name is Jonas Valanciunas. This guy has really impressed me with his post up moves. And he's just going to get better and better. What he needs to work on this summer is his footwork. They also need to work on his passing when he gets double teamed on the post.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  2. #2
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Korver is definitely a guy I'd take half of MLE for. Veteran, shooter, fits some of our smaller issues. MLE will help do so.

    This is all assuming some type of deal has gone down to acquire a big, regardless of JV's progression, and Amir's emergence, having Acy (showing a good future with this team) and Gray be the primary back-ups is a no no.

    I still think a acquiring a post/inside presence and securing the back-up point guard are the biggest needs.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Korver is definitely a guy I'd take half of MLE for. Veteran, shooter, fits some of our smaller issues. MLE will help do so.

    This is all assuming some type of deal has gone down to acquire a big, regardless of JV's progression, and Amir's emergence, having Acy (showing a good future with this team) and Gray be the primary back-ups is a no no.

    I still think a acquiring a post/inside presence and securing the back-up point guard are the biggest needs.
    I agree 100%. Hopefully, the back up point guard can facilitate better than Lucas & Telfair. My dream is Darren Collison as a back up point guard. He's a pest defensively but I'm not sure we have the $$$ to offer.
    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Thu Apr 11th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  4. #4
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    I agree 100%. Hopefully, the back up point guard can facilitate better than Lucas & Telfair. My dream is Darren Collison as a back up point guard. He's a pest defensively but I'm not sure we have the $$$ to offer.
    With this season passing, Collison hasn't exactly done much to earn himself a hefty contract. I personally think the MLE will do, well, that's what I THINK his right price is. He's been inconsistent for the Mavericks this season.

    Problem is, we offer the entire MLE, only way to improve now is via trade, which makes it harder too because we can't take in larger contracts - salaries HAVE to match - and Kyle Korver becomes a scratch, unless we try an S&T.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    With this season passing, Collison hasn't exactly done much to earn himself a hefty contract. I personally think the MLE will do, well, that's what I THINK his right price is. He's been inconsistent for the Mavericks this season.

    Problem is, we offer the entire MLE, only way to improve now is via trade, which makes it harder too because we can't take in larger contracts - salaries HAVE to match - and Kyle Korver becomes a scratch, unless we try an S&T.
    I was thinking the same thing. MLE would probably do it but I'm not sure it's a wise investment exhausting our entire MLE to address one need out of the many things we need to address .... which makes me feel that much worse about this off season.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. MLE would probably do it but I'm not sure it's a wise investment exhausting our entire MLE to address one need out of the many things we need to address .... which makes me feel that much worse about this off season.
    It would depend on what trades you make and what comes back. If you can add 2 or 3 players while giving up just one or two and the new players address needs, suddenly using the MLE on one player is not a bad thing.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Korver would be a very nice pick-up. He's a great shooter (spot up & off screens) where as Babbit is a straight up camper. I also think Korver has improved enough overall as a player defensively where he understands schemes & rotations well to hide his rather slow lateral quickness.

    When I think about shooters, I prefer the ones who bring other skills to the table. Unselfish, smart, can make something happen when defenders close out fast. Korver has learned to counter the quick close outs & his passing is underrated.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    That's should be the MAIN priority for the Raps to upgrade this offseason. A spot up 3pt sharpshooter. Kyle Korver is a UFA after this season. Can we afford him?

    Another one that is probably flying under the radar is Luke Babbitt. Not a household name but a great 3pt shooter.

    If you asked me a few months ago on what should be the Raps main priority to upgrade this summer i would easily say a PF that can score on the post. But with the emergence of Amir this season i'm more than happy with him as the team's starting PF going forward. I still would love to see them add another veteran big though like an Elton Brand.

    As for that low post guy that we desperately need. We probably already have him and his name is Jonas Valanciunas. This guy has really impressed me with his post up moves. And he's just going to get better and better. What he needs to work on this summer is his footwork. They also need to work on his passing when he gets double teamed on the post.
    Definitely agree on shooters and the need. I don't think you get Korver without MLE being offered and Raps might not have full - just mini. But then again there are a lot of playoff teams with mini and full MLE to offer too.

    Babbitt is interesting.

    Regarding Amir, I still think he is a great third big. He can play both PF/C and he plays hard. His contract, starting or not, is very reasonable given the scarcity of big men in the NBA who give a shit and earn their cheque. I don't think he is consistent enough to be considered a great starter - check his game log. Lots of double digit numbers in points and rebounds - but lots of single digits too.

    Amir As Starter
    34 games
    34.5 mins
    11.9 pts
    5.0-9.4 .534 fg
    1.9-2.4 .790 ft
    3.3/ 6.4/ 9.6reb
    1.8 ast
    1.8 blk
    1.1 stl
    3.8 pf
    1.9 to

    Amir Off Bench
    43 games
    23.6 mins
    8.3pts
    3.3-5.8 .576 fg
    1.5-2.3 .673 ft
    2.5/ 3.4/ 6.0reb
    1.2 ast
    0.9 blk
    0.9 stl
    3.7 pf
    1.0 to

    Most of Amir's minutes off bench came with ED. I think Amir with nearly 30 minutes coming off the bench in a rotation such as Gasol/Boozer, JV, and Amir would be pretty scary.

    The reality is since the Gay trade with most of Amir's starts coming then, the Raptors are 14-18. I think for anyone to say the Raptors are set at any position right now is naive. No matter how much hope there might be moving forward the reality is they are a shitty, non-playoff team right now.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Apr 11th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Although I acknowledge that outside shooting is a need, I don't like the idea of going after such a 1-dimensional player (like Korver).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Although I acknowledge that outside shooting is a need, I don't like the idea of going after such a 1-dimensional player (like Korver).
    I doubt we'd get him anyway. We got Jason Kapono because we overpaid for him, which we cannot do with Korver. We also got him because he was young and probably saw us as a chance to get more minutes. Korver just isn't in that stage of his career anymore. He'll look for a playoff team and will probably be willing to take less than a full MLE if it's a contender.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Although I acknowledge that outside shooting is a need, I don't like the idea of going after such a 1-dimensional player (like Korver).
    I thought Raptors fans would learn the danger of one dimensional players....

    Why would you go after a Kyle Korver if you can go after a Dorrell Wright (37% shooter) or someone like that? Guys who actually do something on both ends of the floor

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Although I acknowledge that outside shooting is a need, I don't like the idea of going after such a 1-dimensional player (like Korver).
    Agree. Korver like Kapono will be an over paid liability. Reddick who other than being a great point shooter is a very smart basketball player, should cost a little more but will be worth every cent. I don't see why the Raps. can't get creative and acquire him.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Every team in the NBA needs shooters.. Korver is going to be in demand, just like Reddick will be in demand. These guys are not going to be cheap, and even the full MLE is too little.

    Best bet is via trade, and even though a shooter is a need, it would have to come from a team that has plenty of shooters in their rotation already and are looking for something else. But the Raptors don't really have too many assets unless you are willing to give up DeMar or Ross for one (I doubt Fields, Kleiza or Bargnani would be able to fetch one).

    I say go in the off season and tell Ross to jack up 1000 3's a night while someone is in his face every time. Perhaps do some suicides then go back and shoot more 3's to simulate as close to a real world example as possible.

    But the best 3 point shooters need space to operate. Unless they start utilizing JV more in the paint or if they get a low post presence the 3 point shooter will be a waste of an asset, in my opinion.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Every team in the NBA needs shooters.. Korver is going to be in demand, just like Reddick will be in demand. These guys are not going to be cheap, and even the full MLE is too little.

    Best bet is via trade, and even though a shooter is a need, it would have to come from a team that has plenty of shooters in their rotation already and are looking for something else. But the Raptors don't really have too many assets unless you are willing to give up DeMar or Ross for one (I doubt Fields, Kleiza or Bargnani would be able to fetch one).

    I say go in the off season and tell Ross to jack up 1000 3's a night while someone is in his face every time. Perhaps do some suicides then go back and shoot more 3's to simulate as close to a real world example as possible.

    But the best 3 point shooters need space to operate. Unless they start utilizing JV more in the paint or if they get a low post presence the 3 point shooter will be a waste of an asset, in my opinion.
    If only it were this easy. The old saying of practice makes perfect does not apply to shooting. Mechanics are everything therefore, perfect practice makes perfect. Shooting 1000 3s a day with his current mechanics only further ingrain poor habits. He must correct footwork, catching, square elevation, release point etc. Simply being tired and shooting 3s will not help him, it will hurt him. He needs to work on conditioning separate from mechanics so he's not tired when he needs to shoot during games. Quantity does not outweigh quality. 10 perfect shots are far better than 1000 poor ones.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

    @clericalbeats

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    If only it were this easy. The old saying of practice makes perfect does not apply to shooting. Mechanics are everything therefore, perfect practice makes perfect. Shooting 1000 3s a day with his current mechanics only further ingrain poor habits. He must correct footwork, catching, square elevation, release point etc. Simply being tired and shooting 3s will not help him, it will hurt him. He needs to work on conditioning separate from mechanics so he's not tired when he needs to shoot during games. Quantity does not outweigh quality. 10 perfect shots are far better than 1000 poor ones.
    We do have a good shooting coach who saved Ed Davis' career ... I wonder why DeRozan doesn't call him up in the summer
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    We do have a good shooting coach who saved Ed Davis' career ... I wonder why DeRozan doesn't call him up in the summer
    I was wondering about this. ED's jumper really improved in the time before he was moved.

    DeMar already has a solid jumper...what he could achieve with some extra work could be enormous.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    We do have a good shooting coach who saved Ed Davis' career ... I wonder why DeRozan doesn't call him up in the summer
    John Townsend has made great strides with DeMar. Early in his career he missed shots in every direction (a lot like T. Ross does now). He's done great work in squaring up his body, jumping straight up and elevating higher making his release point higher. He still shoots off the right side of his body which means his body is parallel with the backboard and slightly left of target. I believe the next step for him is to change the ball position on his shot bringing it closer to the centre of his body while angling his entire body slightly left of the backboard (which T. Ross already does). This will help improve his launch angle from distance.

    T. Ross has better setup mechanics but poor execution mechanics. Body takes off in different directions causing hand and wrist to never be consistent (he's simply reacting with his hands to where his body is going, this is subconscious as the body is doing everything it can to get the ball to go where the brain wants). Therefore, his misses are left, right, short and long. When his body mechanics tighten up, his dispersion on misses will more than likely tighten up to reveal a consistent miss which is easier to focus on fixing.

    Believe DeMar also worked with Dave Hopla who is one of the best. Either way, the shooting coach is one of the most underused and underrated development tools in the NBA, hence I believe there's only 6 teams that employ full-time shooting coaches.
    Last edited by RobertArchibald; Fri Apr 12th, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

    @clericalbeats

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Getting one of these guys pose a problem as to what on earth we do with Fields and Ross.... one problem at a time get the PF and back up Point.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Getting one of these guys pose a problem as to what on earth we do with Fields and Ross.... one problem at a time get the PF and back up Point.
    Ideally when dealing Bargs, which was, I thought, priority #1 for this whole season. See if Bargs' year last year was a fluke, and if so, trade him....well it clearly was, but I'm still waiting for that trade. Seriously, what happened?

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Ideally when dealing Bargs, which was, I thought, priority #1 for this whole season. See if Bargs' year last year was a fluke, and if so, trade him....well it clearly was, but I'm still waiting for that trade. Seriously, what happened?
    Bargnani came into the season out of shape I think, that 13 game stretch he played with gusto we have never seen from him, It was mainly from his shot selection which made him great he did a lot of short jumpers which were money for him and crashed the glass when shots went up. This year Bargs played like he was trying to be Ray Allen or something everything was a 3. We only saw "Il Mago" twice this season the GSW game and the Bobcats game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •