No announcement yet.

Shooters, shooters, shooters!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fields was supposed to be our swingman weapon...

I'm not sure what we can do with him until the middle of the next season. If he turns out to play the way that he was supposed to be, we may not need another shooter.

Out of all the swingmen in the league, novak, bonner, korver etc, none of them can play defense.

It's totally against the pound-the-rock mentality to pick someone up that has no defensive capability, and in that sense, Fields is a better candidate.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Ideally when dealing Bargs, which was, I thought, priority #1 for this whole season. See if Bargs' year last year was a fluke, and if so, trade him....well it clearly was, but I'm still waiting for that trade. Seriously, what happened?
      Bargnani came into the season out of shape I think, that 13 game stretch he played with gusto we have never seen from him, It was mainly from his shot selection which made him great he did a lot of short jumpers which were money for him and crashed the glass when shots went up. This year Bargs played like he was trying to be Ray Allen or something everything was a 3. We only saw "Il Mago" twice this season the GSW game and the Bobcats game.

Comment

The main priority for the Raps this off season should be the development of complimentary offensive and defensive systems that the players will buy in to and that takes advantage of the players skill sets. The way this team plays ball is just awful really. I don't disagree that this team could use a shooter and maybe some other pieces, but wouldn't it be nice to see what this group is capable of if it actually played some sort of "team" game on both ends of the floor for 48 minutes a game, 82 games a season? Maybe this group is incapable of playing a good team game because of the types of players we have, but I just don't buy that. Maybe there are other players that would "fit" better, but "fit" what exactly?

We can add a Korver or Reddick, and stick them in the corner and then what? Seriously, what do we do that allows for open 3pt shots? How often do opposing defenses rotate and leave guys open on the perimeter? On a team that lacks outside shooting, we still can't seem to find a way to get perimeter guys open. We continue to chuck up contested shots...Lowry does it, DD does it, AA does it, Lucas does it, Gay does it, all because we don't play in a way that attempts to get open and easier shots for our shooters. It's like nobody respects an open shot that comes from great ball movement and screens and all that. Is the only shot worth appreciating the hand in your face, shot clock ticking down shot that might drop 10% of the time?

Anyways, that's my rant, just adding a shooter or even a PG or PF at this point isn't gonna change a lot. This team needs a system, and if it had one that the players bought in to, it would be a playoff team as is. If we had that (and I'm praying we will next year), than it would be much easier to say who or what we needed that could take us to the next level.

Comment

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.
          Last edited by .40 Cal Flakes; Thu Apr 11, 2013, 09:57 PM.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
            Lol. I think he was referring to how many long 2's DeMar and Rudy take.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
              obviously you're watching the wrong dinosaurs

Comment

Ive been saying this forever... Hope it happens!
                "Masai WILL win us a championship"
                - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

d749 wrote: View Post
                  obviously you're watching the wrong dinosaurs
                  Lol. Ok.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Every team in the NBA needs shooters.. Korver is going to be in demand, just like Reddick will be in demand. These guys are not going to be cheap, and even the full MLE is too little.

Best bet is via trade, and even though a shooter is a need, it would have to come from a team that has plenty of shooters in their rotation already and are looking for something else. But the Raptors don't really have too many assets unless you are willing to give up DeMar or Ross for one (I doubt Fields, Kleiza or Bargnani would be able to fetch one).

I say go in the off season and tell Ross to jack up 1000 3's a night while someone is in his face every time. Perhaps do some suicides then go back and shoot more 3's to simulate as close to a real world example as possible.

But the best 3 point shooters need space to operate. Unless they start utilizing JV more in the paint or if they get a low post presence the 3 point shooter will be a waste of an asset, in my opinion.
                    If only it were this easy. The old saying of practice makes perfect does not apply to shooting. Mechanics are everything therefore, perfect practice makes perfect. Shooting 1000 3s a day with his current mechanics only further ingrain poor habits. He must correct footwork, catching, square elevation, release point etc. Simply being tired and shooting 3s will not help him, it will hurt him. He needs to work on conditioning separate from mechanics so he's not tired when he needs to shoot during games. Quantity does not outweigh quality. 10 perfect shots are far better than 1000 poor ones.
                    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
                      If only it were this easy. The old saying of practice makes perfect does not apply to shooting. Mechanics are everything therefore, perfect practice makes perfect. Shooting 1000 3s a day with his current mechanics only further ingrain poor habits. He must correct footwork, catching, square elevation, release point etc. Simply being tired and shooting 3s will not help him, it will hurt him. He needs to work on conditioning separate from mechanics so he's not tired when he needs to shoot during games. Quantity does not outweigh quality. 10 perfect shots are far better than 1000 poor ones.
                      We do have a good shooting coach who saved Ed Davis' career ... I wonder why DeRozan doesn't call him up in the summer
                      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                        We do have a good shooting coach who saved Ed Davis' career ... I wonder why DeRozan doesn't call him up in the summer
                        I was wondering about this. ED's jumper really improved in the time before he was moved.

DeMar already has a solid jumper...what he could achieve with some extra work could be enormous.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                          John Townsend has made great strides with DeMar. Early in his career he missed shots in every direction (a lot like T. Ross does now). He's done great work in squaring up his body, jumping straight up and elevating higher making his release point higher. He still shoots off the right side of his body which means his body is parallel with the backboard and slightly left of target. I believe the next step for him is to change the ball position on his shot bringing it closer to the centre of his body while angling his entire body slightly left of the backboard (which T. Ross already does). This will help improve his launch angle from distance.

T. Ross has better setup mechanics but poor execution mechanics. Body takes off in different directions causing hand and wrist to never be consistent (he's simply reacting with his hands to where his body is going, this is subconscious as the body is doing everything it can to get the ball to go where the brain wants). Therefore, his misses are left, right, short and long. When his body mechanics tighten up, his dispersion on misses will more than likely tighten up to reveal a consistent miss which is easier to focus on fixing.

Believe DeMar also worked with Dave Hopla who is one of the best. Either way, the shooting coach is one of the most underused and underrated development tools in the NBA, hence I believe there's only 6 teams that employ full-time shooting coaches.
                          Last edited by RobertArchibald; Fri Apr 12, 2013, 03:23 PM.

@clericalbeats

Comment

I agree the need for a shooter the realistic candidate i like would be Anthony Morrow. I do like reddick or korver of course but i dont see us being able to acquire them.

Call me optimistic but i see the current roster minus bargs a playoff team. not a good one but a 8 seed. I believe this team is lacking 3 things and one we have. We need a shooter that is being discussed this could be ross i believe its more the speed of the game thats messing with his shot i wont even give an assessment until i see him after a summer of work with professional coaches. two we need a big man 4/5. I dont care if amir starts or comes off the bench, doesnt change the level of skill the player we bring in would need to have. Boozer, gasol, mill sap at work i dont mind the hickson idea. ( i like the older two because of big expiring contracts + veteran leadership.)

The last thing we need is time. Time to develop chemistry and more importantly let ALL of our young assests grow. Mainly JV, Ross and hey maybe even Acy can turn into a rotation player I've liked what ive seen. But Demar needs some more time even hes growing every year, Amir is still 24 i believe hes still improving we need some time for them to make the next step like we've recently seen JV take and Amir take this year.

Honestly i dont know how realistic this all is with accuiring players but i dont believe its unrealistic. Im not gunna bother with what if trade speculation but i believe it is all possible. Thats my two cents.

Comment

I'm getting tired and a little annoyed at this "development", "raw skillset", and "give him some more time" bullshit.

For fucks sake if you're going to be in the the NBA and have zero defining skillsets as a P-R-O-F-E-S-S-I-O-N-A-L basketball player playing for the highest level basketball league in the world, then why are you even here?!

What good is a player to a team that needs half a goddamn decade to finally get good at more than one thing and contribute effectively?

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                                I'm getting tired and a little annoyed at this "development", "raw skillset", and "give him some more time" bullshit.

For fucks sake if you're going to be in the the NBA and have zero defining skillsets as a P-R-O-F-E-S-S-I-O-N-A-L basketball player playing for the highest level basketball league in the world, then why are you even here?!

What good is a player to a team that needs half a goddamn decade to finally get good at more than one thing and contribute effectively?
                                This is a little ignorant. I don't know what you do for a living but I'm willing to wager you didn't excel at it in your first year, let alone your first five years. 10,000 hours of practice is needed in order to master something. That means 10,000 hours of repeating an action perfectly (which at 8 hours a day equates to...you guessed it, "half a goddamn decade") This also does not include all the practice time that was spent ingraining poor habits. Just because you are a professional does not mean you are the BEST professional. This is why someone like DeMar is highly regarded for his work ethic and his desire to improve. Not everyone is LeBron James.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Working...
                                X