Repercussion of Kobe injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craiger wrote: View Post
    Lakers only have 10 mil in salary in the 2014/15 season (Nash). If we assume Dwight gets the max, approx 20 mil average I believe, thats still leaves them lots of room to pay Kobe. Now that doesn't account for picks + other players to fill out a roster or salary threshold increasing, or exceptions available to them. Either way they are likely to have lots of room to give Kobe another big pay day. (just not to the scope he's getting now)
    True. Trying to work out a reasonable scenario for LA:
    Howard's going to be around $24 million in the second year of the contract. Nash is around $10 million, and let's say Kobe comes back for $20 million. That would put them at about $10 million under the cap, assuming they renounce all their cap holds.
    They'd also have their $5 MLE, a $3 million BAE, one rookie-scale exception, and then unlimited minimum salary exceptions. So essentially, $18 million to fill out six rotation positions, which isn't too bad, given that the Heat go with their non-star rotation players averaging around $4 million each.

Comment

@Soft Euro: Probably not, but he's played the least number of games since his third year in the league. In his last 11 seasons, he's only missed 41 games. He's probably going to miss 32 games this season. That's not all age, especially considering he's not as involved on the floor this season as he normally is.

Comment

Ya, for anyone that has followed the Lakers knows it was absolutely Kobe determining how many minutes he played.

Either way, I saw on ESPN their experts agreeing that the Lakers should Amnesty Kobe ... tools.

Comment

This is what Kobe posted on his Facebook page.

"This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I've done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??
          I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that
          was. Maybe this is how my book
          ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me
          ...Then again maybe not! It's 3:30am, my foot feels like dead weight, my head is spinning from the pain meds and I'm wide awake. Forgive my Venting but what's the purpose of social media if I won't bring it to you Real No Image?? Feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever.
          One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day.
          "If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats "mamba mentality" we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer.
          I know it's a long post but I'm Facebook Venting LOL. Maybe now I can actually get some sleep and be excited for surgery tomorrow. First step of a new challenge.
          Guess I will be Coach Vino the rest of this season. I have faith in my teammates. They will come thru.
          Thank you for all your prayers and support. Much Love Always.
          Mamba Out"
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

I was going to say that most logical thing for Lakers to do would be to amnesty Kobe, trade away Pau and Nash, tank for 2014 draft and then bring Kobe back as a mentor for a couple of years. But then what happens to Howard. You don't just trade away a C like Howard.

Maybe he'll bolt to the Mavs...
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
              Wilt Chamberlain - Kareem Abdul Jabar - Magic Johnson - Shaq

Thats just a sample of some of the greats that team has had.

The Lakers are the Lakers. Kobe Bryant is just a player on that team right now. Lakers fans would give him a good send off and have more respect for him than ever if he took an amnesty without a fuss.

I think its a good possibility. As great as Kobe is, he isn't what he used to be. And the Lakers had a significantly better record when he shot less. There is too much talent on that team to horde possessions. With Dwight looking like Dwight again, I'd wager they'll be comfortably in the playoffs next year.
              All it means is less double teaming on a missing kobe, giving everyone else much less spacing.

Comment

I never thought of the Lakers amnestying Kobe. But it makes 100% sense.

The Lakers can amnesty Kobe:
                he gets paid,
                team gets better with added flexibility,
                Kobe returns for full MLE or whatever cap space they have next summer,
                teams might put bids in on Kobe but his agent can make it be known he'll never report and will sit out season,
                by sitting out all next season Kobe gets 100% healthy and finish his career as it should be,
                Lakers save $85M in luxury tax next season.

Kobe on the injury list next season will cost the Lakers $115M.

Holy f'ing sh!t Batman!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Ya, for anyone that has followed the Lakers knows it was absolutely Kobe determining how many minutes he played.

Either way, I saw on ESPN their experts agreeing that the Lakers should Amnesty Kobe ... tools.
                  6-9 months is the minimum time requirement.

If he wants that 6th ring, he'd be much better off getting himself healthy and returning 100% in 2014-15 while allowing the Lakers to use their new found flexibility to restock the shelves.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I never thought of the Lakers amnestying Kobe. But it makes 100% sense.

The Lakers can amnesty Kobe:
                    he gets paid,
                    team gets better with added flexibility,
                    Kobe returns for full MLE or whatever cap space they have next summer,
                    teams might put bids in on Kobe but his agent can make it be known he'll never report and will sit out season,
                    by sitting out all next season Kobe gets 100% healthy and finish his career as it should be,
                    Lakers save $85M in luxury tax next season.

Kobe on the injury list next season will cost the Lakers $115M.

Holy f'ing sh!t Batman!
                    Well Kupchak told that they're not going to amnesty him, but July is still 3 months away from now. so..

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                      Well Kupchak told that they're not going to amnesty him, but July is still 3 months away from now. so..
                      Exactly.

Comment

Not going to happen. There's a huge difference between what's best for the team and what kobe thinks is best for the team. And that's definitely not him sitting out till 2014-15.

Comment

Tweeted this to Doc yesterday:

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            Tweeted this to Doc yesterday:

Lol if only that happened...
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Valantime wrote: View Post
                              I have a sinking feeling about this. Not because of the injury itself, though its really a shame, but more because of the effect its going to have. Without Kobe next year the Lakers will likely miss out on the playoffs. And guess what, suddenly the perennially contending Lakers have a draft pick the ONE year that franchise changing talent in Wiggins—and maybe Parker—is available. I have a horrible feeling the NBA won't be able to resist gifting the Lakers the number one pick.

I cant think of anything worse...
                              great minds think alike. I think the nba had to do something because too much people caught on to what they were trying to do , therefore, they told kobe had sit out.
                              "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

miami is winning the championship this year and next so it makes perfect sense for kobe to sit out and hand the lakers wiggins. btw, d12 is gone to dallas
                                "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

Working...
                                X