Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Sports Illustrated is bang on!!

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Sports Illustrated is bang on!!

    Toronto Raptors — Final grade: D+ | Record: 30-48, No. 10 in the East

    Midseason grade: C- | Midseason record: 15-27, No. 11 in the East

    Is Andrea Bargnani still on the roster? (Yes.) Did Bryan Colangelo really trade for Gay thinking he would make them appreciably better? (Yes.) Was Kyle Lowry’s first season in Canada full of more red flags than initially expected? (Yes.) Are there perhaps four contracts on the books that would be worth amnestying if it were legal? (Yes.) Did DeMar DeRozan try to shame John Hollinger for predicting Toronto would win 33 games, only to put up a below-average PER for a team that will win no more than 34 games? (Yes.) Do the Raptors, who are missing the playoffs for the fifth straight season, at least have a lottery pick to look forward to? (No, unless they land in the top three.) Does anyone expect management to answer to the realities behind this silly list of rhetorical questions that could go on all day? (Nope!) Did Terrence Ross win the Slam Dunk Contest? (He sure did, and it wasn’t too bad. Let’s agree to focus on that one.)


    Pretty much what i've been saying all year.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Toronto Raptors — Final grade: D+ | Record: 30-48, No. 10 in the East

    Midseason grade: C- | Midseason record: 15-27, No. 11 in the East

    Is Andrea Bargnani still on the roster? (Yes.) Did Bryan Colangelo really trade for Gay thinking he would make them appreciably better? (Yes.) Was Kyle Lowry’s first season in Canada full of more red flags than initially expected? (Yes.) Are there perhaps four contracts on the books that would be worth amnestying if it were legal? (Yes.) Did DeMar DeRozan try to shame John Hollinger for predicting Toronto would win 33 games, only to put up a below-average PER for a team that will win no more than 34 games? (Yes.) Do the Raptors, who are missing the playoffs for the fifth straight season, at least have a lottery pick to look forward to? (No, unless they land in the top three.) Does anyone expect management to answer to the realities behind this silly list of rhetorical questions that could go on all day? (Nope!) Did Terrence Ross win the Slam Dunk Contest? (He sure did, and it wasn’t too bad. Let’s agree to focus on that one.)


    Pretty much what i've been saying all year.
    U should this to owners.....

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    U should this to owners.....
    How? haha. I swear, Sports Illustrated is so bang on here. I don't think anyone can disagree with everything that was written here.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nailed it.


    What a joke.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    U should this to owners.....
    I tweeted it to @Raptors and @RaptorsMR
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I tweeted it to @Raptors and @RaptorsMR
    They're just media...

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    They're just media...
    I feel confident in saying I can guarantee BC reads those twitter feeds. No proof. Just a feeling.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I feel confident in saying I can guarantee BC reads those twitter feeds. No proof. Just a feeling.
    ...really?

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Does anyone expect management to answer to the realities behind this silly list of rhetorical questions that could go on all day? (Nope!)
    +1

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    They're just media...
    The @RaptorsMR account frequently responds to negative comments, and this is definitely an article of interest. I would hope they see this and pass it along.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    D+ is way to low. I'd say C+ considering the crazy up and down season we had, and the horrid start
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    D+ is way to low. I'd say C+ considering the crazy up and down season we had, and the horrid start
    I don't think D+ plus is way to low. In fact I don't see it as low at all. From the start of the season Casey and the organization stated that the goal was playoffs. Even if they get ahead of Philly for the ninth spot, they were never really in playoff contention. (Except, maybe right after the Gay trade until they lost to the Bucks.) Also, how does shitting the bed at the start of the season warrant giving them a better mark? If the score was just for the final 1/3 of the season, then yes it should be higher, but I'm pretty sure that it's for the full season. I tried to find the article, but it wasn't linked and I couldn't find it on their site. If there is a link, would someone post it?

    EDIT: Never mind I found the article, anyone else can find it HERE

    I guess the article doesn't explicitly say whether it's for the full year or just from the mid-season on.

    But yes, this has been a D+ season, IMO.

    PS: I did however find out, that the Spurs released Stephen Jackson, because he and pop (reportedly) had disagreements about his diminishing role. #whataclown

    LINK
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Sat Apr 13th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jkwasia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Downtown Toronto
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Toronto Raptors — Final grade: D+ | Record: 30-48, No. 10 in the East

    Midseason grade: C- | Midseason record: 15-27, No. 11 in the East

    Is Andrea Bargnani still on the roster? (Yes.) Did Bryan Colangelo really trade for Gay thinking he would make them appreciably better? (Yes.) Was Kyle Lowry’s first season in Canada full of more red flags than initially expected? (Yes.) Are there perhaps four contracts on the books that would be worth amnestying if it were legal? (Yes.) Did DeMar DeRozan try to shame John Hollinger for predicting Toronto would win 33 games, only to put up a below-average PER for a team that will win no more than 34 games? (Yes.) Do the Raptors, who are missing the playoffs for the fifth straight season, at least have a lottery pick to look forward to? (No, unless they land in the top three.) Does anyone expect management to answer to the realities behind this silly list of rhetorical questions that could go on all day? (Nope!) Did Terrence Ross win the Slam Dunk Contest? (He sure did, and it wasn’t too bad. Let’s agree to focus on that one.)


    Pretty much what i've been saying all year.
    Can someone re-tweet this to Demar DeRozan to show who the real clown is and hopefully he uses this as a motivation to work on his D, ball handling,3 point shooting ,and calling people names when he cant back it up 0.o

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would say C+ simply because everyone found out JV isnt a wasye nor a joke, the kid is legit talent at a rare position in todays game. Bad start to end the season respectable playing around 500 ball since Gay acquisition. We Got Rudy Gay on the team for very little, which brings an even better outlook for next season.

    C+ would have been fair imo D+ is looking at the negatives too much I think but you know there are a TON of negatives.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    By the text book definition.. C is average, so C+ is slightly above average:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grading...tion%29#Canada

    This team was below average, so D+ makes sense in my opinion. JV prevents this team from becoming an F in my opinion.

    When you don't make the playoffs and are almost close to luxury tax, and don't have a draft pick (either first or second round), a D+ is actually being lenient.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ^When you put it that way ya sounds legit.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    ^When you put it that way ya sounds legit.
    Especially, because JV wasn't really a surprise. Sure, it was great to see his improvement, and he and amir are the only two bright spots on the roster, BUT it wasn't like he was a sleeper. Even before the season started he got his buzz, and a lot of people said that if they redrafted he would have been a top 3 pick for sure, which means, for me he alone isn't enough to bump up the grade.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    By the text book definition.. C is average, so C+ is slightly above average:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grading...tion%29#Canada

    This team was below average, so D+ makes sense in my opinion. JV prevents this team from becoming an F in my opinion.

    When you don't make the playoffs and are almost close to luxury tax, and don't have a draft pick (either first or second round), a D+ is actually being lenient.
    C is just approaching average. B is right at average, and A is going above and beyond (top 5 seed).
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did the SI story studiously ignore anything positive? (Yes) Did Amir Johnson continue to progress as a top PF/C, greatly outplaying his contract after many pundits criticized BC for signing him? (Yes) Did Valanciunas show the potential to be a top-flight C in the NBA? (Yes)

    There is no doubt that the Raptors roster has problems, but I think that if they get good consistent coaching from DC it has much more potential than many are anticipating. Perhaps the most disappointing thing about last year was BC's failure to pull the trigger on a Bargnani trade before his injury and disastrous return. I think they might be stuck with using Bargnani next year and seeing if he can bounce back and improve his trade value. He certainly will be a better bench option than any of the other dross available on the roster.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm ready to move on from this season. Just 3 games left, all playoff bound teams. I have this feeling that Miami is about to steamroll the competition in the playoffs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •