Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    So in summary:

Ross plays good individual defense, DeRozan not so much.
    Ross is much more aggressive and better fighting through/over screens, DeRozan not so much.
    Ross plays poor team defense, DeRozan is still not good but better.
    Ross has had his minutes limited in his rookie season, DeRozan has had unlimited minutes for 4 years including the last 2 with Casey.

So in conclusion:

Ross must be retarded and he'll never learn team defensive concepts nor get better with experience despite the fact he is already a better individual defender.

Not too concerned on the offense as it is deviating away from the original issue of defense. However on offense if DeRozan had a three point shot and went hard on every drive, DeRozan would probably be an all-star.

The bold is something I've already said. In fact it was what started this exchange back in post #15.
    I'm not sure if your being serious (your obvious man crush on Ross) or your just frustrated with the current situation.

Are you aware that Derozan ONLY played 4.6 minutes more than Ross in their rookie years?? How is that unlimited??

DD - 21.6 mpg
    Ross - 17 mpg

Also, I would not say that Ross has shown that he is a good individual defender. I see the potential, but by no means can i say he's there already.

Ross looked LOST out there MANY times......You can't just pretend like that wasn't some of the reasons why he got his minutes cut. Let's see how Ross comes back next year before we get into the Ross is better than DD talk.

IMO

DD>>>>>>>Ross. Simple --- not much of a discussion. I'm hoping he can be better than Derozan over the next few years BUT Demar is pretty good RIGHT NOW. He is a definite starter in this league no matter what you try to imply. Ross right now is NOT a starter in this league......He has a lot of work to do.

Comment

A little time in the D-League never hurt anyone. This especially applies to Ross if Casey returns as head coach next year.

#NailedToTheBench
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
        JV is younger than ross and he definitely got more time than ross did. i doubt its just bias that kept him off the floor. of course JV's position doesn't have any great alts to go to, but ross still hasn't shown anything that keeps him on the floor. AA is still way better than ross is.

as for ross being a supposed driver, who cares seeing as his FT% is worse than JV's. a shooter that can't make FT's is just beyond me. he's barely above landry fields in this regard.
        Lol AA better than Ross? You just lost all the respect i had for you. AA is a chucker with terrible shot selection, worse than Ross's by a landslide. Ross is a billion times more athletic and a better shooter too

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Lol AA better than Ross? You just lost all the respect i had for you. AA is a chucker with terrible shot selection, worse than Ross's by a landslide. Ross is a billion times more athletic and a better shooter too
          worse than ross by a landslide? ross is what? .407 while AA is .383? how is that a landslide by any means.

AA is the slightly better 3 point shooter (.332 vs .333), gets to the charity stripe way more and is also way better at actually making free throws (.857 for AA while the amazing shooter Ross makes it only .714 of the time. ouch). AA also slightly rebounds better on both ends as well.

now if we're talking about potential upside? who knows. ross could shoot straight up or be a total dud. but as it stands, AA the vet is better than ross purely because the latter seems RIDICULOUSLY raw and doesn't even look close to being ready for the nba.
          Last edited by iblastoff; Thu Apr 18, 2013, 11:15 PM.

Comment

DeRozan in his rookie season had better awareness on the court Ross seems so lost on offense and defense takes whatever comes to him immediately DeRozan picked his shots, though you can argue because of how Ross played it led to more terrific highlight plays. If we are talking IQ DeRozan learns constantly and was a smarter player than Ross is out of the gate, even if Ross is a better talent out of the gate.

As for AA better than Ross ya he better be better than a tookie AA is like 30 lol.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post

As for AA better than Ross ya he better be better than a tookie AA is like 30 lol.
              yah thats all im saying. as it stands, AA is just better at this point. i'd love to see Ross break out next year but its hard to argue against how bad his rookie year has been. like austin rivers bad but without major injuries.

ross is supposed to be a shooter. and all season, he has sucked at shooting.

everyone talks about his potential upside and that maybe winning the dunk contest would instill the confidence he needed to get to the next step. nothing happened.

in no way am i saying to get rid of ross or anything. only that his performance has been worse than one of the most hated players on the team.
              Last edited by iblastoff; Thu Apr 18, 2013, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I blame Ross's lack of shine and production on who he played beside though and that was because really there was no better options (Anderson and Lucas)

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  I blame Ross's lack of shine and production on who he played beside though and that was because really there was no better options (Anderson and Lucas)
                  This is why Telfair should've gotten more run as the backup PG. Ross would've gotten WAY more looks with Telfair at the helm. John Chucker Lucas doesn't know how to run an offense. He just knows how to look for his own shot and nothing else.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Another reason I became an Acy fan playing beside JL3 and still getting his points wherever he could cause everyone on the team knows Lucas isnt going to give him a look.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                      Are you aware that Derozan ONLY played 4.6 minutes more than Ross in their rookie years?? How is that unlimited??

DD - 21.6 mpg
                      Ross - 17 mpg
                      I don't think Matt meant 'unlimited' literally. He meant to say that Demar has never lacked playing time to prove his worth. Demars 4.6 minutes/game more than Ross in their Rookie years is quite a big difference.

Hypothetically, if Demar and Ross started as Rookies on two different teams, I think Demar would establish himself as a dependable starter sooner. Ross, though a slower Rookie is SEEMINGLY a better al-around(3 poinbt, RB, D, steals etc) talent.

I like Demar very much and I think there's still a little development left before he reaches his ceiling but considering the seemingly good 'unseen' and his comparatively cheaper Rookie contract, I think Raps. should lean towards keeping Ross and trading Demar who IMO will fetch a good return.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Some really good conversations going.

The one point that's bothering me, is the defensive end. Ross might be a more talented defender, but it doesn't mean he's a smart one, or a better team one. His court awareness, his ability to know what position he's got to be in the defense (thinking shell drill, i.e help, denial, on-ball), isn't near Demar's during his rookie season, and again, going by what I see from television.

Demar is actually a solid team defender, and he is terrific in getting into the middle of passing lanes, and has quick/active hands.

Rookie season as well, Demar had the far better composure, definitely, and there's no argument there.

Offensively, Demar has more in the arsenal in terms of ways to score. The ability to slash, mid-ranged, post game is quite impressive, but obviously we are looking at him from the 4th year. Rookie year, Demar was incredibly raw, no jumper, no ball-handling, he relied sorely on his athleticism, which actually complemented the team that year. He was a Landry Fields-esque type player, moved well without the ball - still does when he does.

Ross, I will admit, is a more skilled player than Demar was in his rookie season, - shooting, ball-handling is a little better - but for some reason, I don't see any of this "star" potential some are constantly preaching about, than again, I don't see star potential in Demar. But, I see all-star potential in Demar, but I don't see it in Ross.

In my opinion, Ross is a solid starter, great sixth man at best. He reminds me far too much of J.R Smith, which is a good thing.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

There was a lengthy article in Grantland recently about the difficulty in finding Shane Battier-type players.
                          http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...isdom-suggests

And as I was reading it, I immediately thought of Ross, because for me this is clearly Ross's upside and the reason that he's a valuable asset: shooting and defense are just such a rare combination. Even if Ross's skills aren't there yet, the potential for him to become that type of player gives him value. Ross isn't mentioned in the article (Alan Anderson is), but when guys like Harkless and Crowder are considered, Ross deserves some consideration as a potential Battier-type player. Anyway, Lowe lists three skills for this type of player: shoot 3s proficiently, defend the SG position, and defend the SF position. I feel confident that Ross will develop the first two of these skills to an above average ability. The third is much more of a question-mark, as he'll need to develop the physique to defend the stronger SFs, while not giving up the advantage that his athleticism gives him. (Given that his measurements compare favourably to guys like Jimmy Butler, Corey Brewer, and Wesley Matthews, there's no reason his body shouldn't hold him back if he can add more strength to it).

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                            There was a lengthy article in Grantland recently about the difficulty in finding Shane Battier-type players.
                            http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...isdom-suggests

And as I was reading it, I immediately thought of Ross, because for me this is clearly Ross's upside and the reason that he's a valuable asset: shooting and defense are just such a rare combination. Even if Ross's skills aren't there yet, the potential for him to become that type of player gives him value. Ross isn't mentioned in the article (Alan Anderson is), but when guys like Harkless and Crowder are considered, Ross deserves some consideration as a potential Battier-type player. Anyway, Lowe lists three skills for this type of player: shoot 3s proficiently, defend the SG position, and defend the SF position. I feel confident that Ross will develop the first two of these skills to an above average ability. The third is much more of a question-mark, as he'll need to develop the physique to defend the stronger SFs, while not giving up the advantage that his athleticism gives him. (Given that his measurements compare favourably to guys like Jimmy Butler, Corey Brewer, and Wesley Matthews, there's no reason his body shouldn't hold him back if he can add more strength to it).
                            Iggy, Tony Allen, and Bruce Bowen as well.

Comment

I think if there's a slump at some point he should spend a week or two in the D-league. See how he goes in the Summer Comp to begin with, gauge how he's plays against weaker competition. He's not as impactful as some other guys, so he won't be missed in any real sense for a little while if he does go to Bakersfield.

Comment

Working...
                              X