Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Free Agent targets?

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Free Agent targets?

So I saw this on Bleacher Report (I know silly site take what it is with a grain of salt etc)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...this-offseason

The players listed are intriguing to me though.

SG/SF Mike Dunleavy Jr.
    SG J.J. Redick
    SF/PF Carl Landry
    PG Devin Harris
    PF/C Carlos Boozer
    C JaVale McGee******
    PG/SG Jarrett Jack******
    PF/C Luis Scola

I put*** beside the ones there are no shot of landing. J.Jack was already here and is likely going to stay in GS and Mcgee is a talented knucklehead likely staying in Denver. The list is interesting Toronto is in rumors for these players.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like Redick, but I have a feel he's worth the very least 3/4 of the MLE.

Devin Harris as a back-up guard to Lowry would definitely be nice, although he has had past inconsistent seasons.

No to Carl Landry, a big can be attained via trade, and a better one at that. Dunleavy JR. might be a good pick-up for the right price, solid shooter, solid defender.

I do no want Scola for same reasons as Landry, and he's old.

Post Thanks / Like

Via Trade:

- Big man, preferably a power forward.
    - Back-up point guard to Kyle Lowry

Via Free Agency:

- Wing defender AND OR shooter.
    - Back-up point guard to Kyle Lowry, IF trade isn't viable.

Roster:

Lowry, (Back-Up), Lucas/Telfair
    Derozan, Ross, (shooter, veteran, and or defender)
    Gay, Fields, (shooter, veteran, and or defender)
    (Big man), Amir, Acy
    Valanciunas, Gray

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this list IS from Bleacher Report so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Other than Landry I've seen none of these posted as rumors. On message boards they have been mentioned as the types of players the Raps should be looking at, but that's it. Of the list:

SG/SF Mike Dunleavy Jr. - Don't think he's available (haven't heard rumors)
    SG J.J. Redick - Can't afford
    SF/PF Carl Landry - Intrigued
    PG Devin Harris - Would be nice (haven't heard rumors)
    PF/C Carlos Boozer - I doubt they can get him for Bargnani. Isn't really a fit for what the Raps need.
    C JaVale McGee****** - No. Cool guy, but no.
    PG/SG Jarrett Jack****** - Why? So he can be bitter that he doesn't start here?
    PF/C Luis Scola - Most fans wish for this guy but no rumors I've seen that the Raps have asked for him.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    PF/C Carlos Boozer - I doubt they can get him for Bargnani. Isn't really a fit for what the Raps need.
    Huh?

The only reason you don't trade for Boozer is if you think the contract is too high or you're concerned about his injury history.

In terms of fit, Boozer is EXACTLY what we need.
    your pal,
    ebrian

6. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Huh?

The only reason you don't trade for Boozer is if you think the contract is too high or you're concerned about his injury history.

Agreed.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the Raptors as big free agency players unless you are looking at an MLE signing (and even then it might end up being a mini-MLE depending on who they get back for Bargnani).

A trade seems the most feasible but the only real assets on the table appear to be the 2014 pick, Ross, or DeMar and you don't just give those assets away.

If a free agent was picked up, I'd want to go after a backup wing to replace AA/Pietrus in case of injury like Barbosa maybe? I'd want to pick up a backup PG and PF via trade.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

we need another center.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The title of the thread and the article are not in sync.

The article is talking about obtaining veteran players - it is not all through free agency.

First things first, anyone looking to make more than $5M per season you can ignore in free agency: good bye Redick.

Secondly, I don't even know how this is typed:
    Kyle Lowry/Devin Harris (free-agent add using amnestied Kleiza contract)/Lucas III
    amnestying Kleiza does not put the Raps below salary cap and it does not create an exception.

Of the list:

SG/SF Mike Dunleavy Jr. Sure
    SG J.J. Redick No chance.
    SF/PF Carl Landry Raps need bigger upgrade than this in big man rotation.
    PG Devin Harris No. Healthy always concern. Underachiever. Inconsistent.
    PF/C Carlos Boozer For Bargnani with a pick? YES!
    C JaVale McGee Not going to happen.
    PG/SG Jarrett Jack Been there done that and I think he has earned a MLE from just about any team in the league this season.
    PF/C Luis Scola I like Scola. But I think he is at the point of his career where he can earn more in Europe.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote koncept wrote: View Post
    we need another center.
    I don't think that is the case, Gray does a great job with the big traditional centers, what we need is a 3rd big with length and mobility that can play the 4 and 5 spot. Gray only a 5, Acy, only a 4....

12. Like ReubenJRD, torch19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Huh?

Personal opinion on that one. Not exactly loved for his defense, even in Chicago (or at least on message boards). Is he better than Bargnani? Hell yeah. Do I trade Boozer for Bargs? Yes. Is that possible? No. Do I trade any of the Raps real assets for him? No.

But that's me.

14. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we get a starting 4 and amir plays off the bench cant Acy earn his spot off the bench and Amir play C? Doesnt sound bad to me really. This way we dont have to play Gray at all unless we really need his size/foul trouble situations..

Post Thanks / Like

Carl Landry is a very solid, hard working PF putting up very consistent numbers throughout his career.

17. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    If we get a starting 4 and amir plays off the bench cant Acy earn his spot off the bench and Amir play C? Doesnt sound bad to me really. This way we dont have to play Gray at all unless we really need his size/foul trouble situations..
    That's exactly what I posted in another thread. Johnson would be the 3rd big in a primarily 3-big rotation, with Gray & Acy both available for spot minutes, depending on matchups. Against big opposing C's, then Gray would get playing time. Against smaller opposing C's, then Acy would get playing time in a smaller lineup. Either way, the bulk of the C & PF minutes would go to Valanciunas, the new starting PF and Johnson.

The problem is that I only see 2 possible ways to acquire an upgraded starting PF, that would be good enough to push Johnson to the bench:
    1. trade Bargnani (possibly with Ross as sweetener) - seems less likely, unless Boozer (or outside shot at Gasol)
    2. trade DeRozan - seems more likely

I don't see any way of accomplishing this via free agency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Personal opinion on that one. Not exactly loved for his defense, even in Chicago (or at least on message boards). Is he better than Bargnani? Hell yeah. Do I trade Boozer for Bargs? Yes. Is that possible? No. Do I trade any of the Raps real assets for him? No.

But that's me.
    Why? Do you not believe the rumours or confusion on CBA?

After July 1st, one for one Bargnani for Boozer works straight up.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Why? Do you not believe the rumours or confusion on CBA?

After July 1st, one for one Bargnani for Boozer works straight up.
    How does that work?

Bargnani's salary will be $10.75M, which means the Raps could take back up to $13.5375M [(10.75*1.25)+0.1], but Boozer will be making $15.3M. Given that the Raps will be far over the cap, don't they need to stay within the confines of the formula?

21. Like blackjitsu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    How does that work?

Bargnani's salary will be $10.75M, which means the Raps could take back up to $13.5375M [(10.75*1.25)+0.1], but Boozer will be making $15.3M. Given that the Raps will be far over the cap, don't they need to stay within the confines of the formula?
    It's outlined in Coon's salary cap faq:
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

A team that is not a tax-paying team can take back a player worth the outgoing player's salary + $5M. $10.75M+$5M = $15.75M which is enough to take on Boozer's contract.

The only rule is that the team has to be under the tax after the trade.. I think amnestying Kleiza can make that happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to say that I am not a Boozer fan for this team, I really don't feel he brings what we need to put us over the top. His salary is more expensive and lasts the same length as Andrea's. He does play out of the high post well, but I don't see him as enough of an upgrade to make me excited.

24. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    How does that work?

Sorry, amnesty Kleiza first. But even with that you are still correct. I thought the threshold was when the luxury tax implications came in... I was wrong.

Bargnani's trade value is actually $11.28 due to his 5% trade kicker.

Interesting how JL3's contract added makes up the difference. Still saves $2.5M ($6.25 salary and tax) for the Bulls which is good but more importantly sees $4.8M come off their 2014-15 payroll to sign Mirotic. JL3 was a favourite in the locker room and of Thibs, too.

But yeah, I was wrong on the one for one.... and I"ve said that in a few other threads.... sorry.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Sorry, amnesty Kleiza first. But even with that you are still correct. I thought the threshold was when the luxury tax implications came in... I was wrong.

Bargnani's trade value is actually $11.28 due to his 5% trade kicker.

Interesting how JL3's contract added makes up the difference. Still saves $2.5M ($6.25 salary and tax) for the Bulls which is good but more importantly sees $4.8M come off their 2014-15 payroll to sign Mirotic. JL3 was a favourite in the locker room and of Thibs, too.

But yeah, I was wrong on the one for one.... and I"ve said that in a few other threads.... sorry.
    5% trade kicker for Bargnani?? Ugh... BC really needs to go.

Thread Information