Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
How does that work?

Bargnani's salary will be $10.75M, which means the Raps could take back up to $13.5375M [(10.75*1.25)+0.1], but Boozer will be making $15.3M. Given that the Raps will be far over the cap, don't they need to stay within the confines of the formula?
Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
Thanks for the update Matt.

I thought the "(outgoing salary * 1.25) + 100k" rule was in effect if the team was over the salary cap number though, as opposed to the luxury tax number (which is what your breakdown seems to imply).

That's why I thought that even if the Raptors were to shed the salaries of Kleiza (via amnesty), Lucas (via declined team option) and Gray (via declined player option), and if the salary/luxury tax rates were to increase, the Raps still wouldn't be able to do a straight-up Bargnani/Boozer deal.
Yes. Stricter rules (i.e. 125% + 100K) come in if the team is already in luxury or the new salary coming in places them in luxury tax.

For non-taxpaying teams (again, they must be under the tax level after the trade), the salaries that can be acquired depend on the total salaries the team is trading away:

Non-Taxpaying

Teams Outgoing salary/ Maximum incoming salary
$0 to $9.8 million/ 150% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,0001
$9.8 million to $19.6 million/ The outgoing salary plus $5 million1
$19.6 million and up/ 125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000

Taxpaying teams can take back up to 125% of their outgoing salaries, plus $100,000, no matter how much salary the team is sending away. For example, a taxpaying team trading away $10 million in salaries can acquire one or more replacement players making up to $12.6 million.

Taxpaying Teams

Outgoing salary/ Maximum incoming salary
Any/ 125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82