Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

Not sure where you are getting your take on the lack of success Lowry has had. He was the starting PG in 71 of 75 games in 2010-11 where HOU went 43-39 in the west with the 3rd best PPG (105.9) and the 4th best OffRtg (111.3) coached by a guy named Rick Adelman.... imagine that! In 2011-12, he was the starting PG when he went down with injury and the team was 21-19 and 21-17 in the games he started and played at that time. The team finished the year 13-15 with him either not starting or coming off the bench. Relative to the Raptors last 4 seasons that is nearly championship calibre.... and it was done with a mediocre supporting cast.
When you talk about his time in Houston, the issue isn't lack of success, it's how he behaved. Specifically, when he came out and said (and I'm paraphrasing) "Either McChale goes or I go" http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/79...n-mchale-coach. He's a would be coach killer. That's a terrible thing to have on your resume.

Now, I watched that incredible little stretch that he had at the beginning of the year, and I've watched him be very average since he came back from the injury. One way to explain the difference in the way he's played is what we've already read a million times: pre-injury, he was playing like himself, post-injury, he was forced into playing like Jose.

But the entire post-injury run, I've always got the sense that he was holding back. Not holding back in the sense of "I can't make such-and-such a play because coach says I can't", but in the sense of "Fine coach, f*** you: you're not going to let me play my game? Then I'm going to give you the minimum effort required to do what you want me to do." Now, there's really no way for me to quantify this. I don't have any specific examples. It's just the general feeling that I've been getting.