Raptors Year in Review: Tim Chisholm of TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Year in Review: Tim Chisholm of TSN

I figure that Tim Chisholm's articles would be a good basis to get similar discussion going here on RR, as the 2012-2013 season winds down on our Raptors.

Background article LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=420490

Review: Guards LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=420824

I think there's been a consensus around here since the Calderon-Gay trade that the Raptors #1 priority going into the offseason is upgrading the 2nd unit, starting with the backup PG. Not only does the position itself need to be improved, but so much of the 2nd unit's success is dependent on a PG who is able to facilitate ball movement and setup the other players for good looks; definitely Lucas' greatest weakness as a PG. I'd be fine with Lucas coming back (team option) as the 3rd PG, to provide PG depth and streaky scoring that could even get spot minutes at SG with the 2nd unit in a 2-PG backcourt.

As for the SG spot, I think the future revolves around the decision to be made with DeRozan. I don't think it makes sense to keep both DeRozan and Ross, considering that Gay & DeRozan will play the bulk of wing (SF/SG) minutes and the fact that Fields provides an entirely different set of skills (ie: defense, off-ball offensive play and rebounding), while also likely being highly untradeable due to contract and injury situation. If the team keeps DeRozan, Ross should become sweetener in Bargnani trade scenarios. If the team believes strongly in Ross' future and likes the potential fit of Fields beside Gay in the starting lineup, then it would make sense to trade DeRozan (either with Bargnani or on his own in another trade). DeRozan gives them another big trade chip, both in terms of desirability (age, skill, potential) and the total salary that could be returned in trade (up to $11.975M).

Overall I think Chisholm's articles paint a pretty fair and accurate picture of the Raptors guard play this season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I think there's been a consensus around here since the Calderon-Gay trade that the Raptors #1 priority going into the offseason is upgrading the 2nd unit, starting with the backup PG. Not only does the position itself need to be improved, but so much of the 2nd unit's success is dependent on a PG who is able to facilitate ball movement and setup the other players for good looks; definitely Lucas' greatest weakness as a PG. I'd be fine with Lucas coming back (team option) as the 3rd PG, to provide PG depth and streaky scoring that could even get spot minutes at SG with the 2nd unit in a 2-PG backcourt.

As for the SG spot, I think the future revolves around the decision to be made with DeRozan. I don't think it makes sense to keep both DeRozan and Ross, considering that Gay & DeRozan will play the bulk of wing (SF/SG) minutes and the fact that Fields provides an entirely different set of skills (ie: defense, off-ball offensive play and rebounding), while also likely being highly untradeable due to contract and injury situation. If the team keeps DeRozan, Ross should become sweetener in Bargnani trade scenarios. If the team believes strongly in Ross' future and likes the potential fit of Fields beside Gay in the starting lineup, then it would make sense to trade DeRozan (either with Bargnani or on his own in another trade). DeRozan gives them another big trade chip, both in terms of desirability (age, skill, potential) and the total salary that could be returned in trade (up to $11.975M).

Overall I think Chisholm's articles paint a pretty fair and accurate picture of the Raptors guard play this season.
      agree with this, however i'd like it to be known that if Ross gets traded i will be wildly and incredibly upset. honestly. I really hope the suits upstairs bring in a new GM and coach who know what the fuck we're doing because this season made it PAINFULLY clear that this team has some real nuggets of talent, but need to be utilized and developed PROPERLY.

Demar, i love you, but its time to cut bait and its not your fault, bud. It's Bryan's. It's not you, it's us. Well, it's kind of you too, but i appreciate how hard you work and your love for the team. In a perfect world you'd make a fantastic 6th man but your contract is crazy. Steve Spiros crazy. At the very least, we made you a rich man. Godspeed, young man.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

What really needs to happen this summer is for everyone to work towards unleashing the version of Kyle Lowry that the Raptors thought they were acquiring when they gave up a lottery pick for him last July. Lowry, by his own admission, needs to seriously up the quality of his play, Casey needs to structure the offence in such a way as to exploit his best qualities and the front office needs to ensure that the right compliment of players surround him. Last year, it felt as though everyone involved saw Lowry as such an ideal fit that he'd just slide right in and produce. Heading into next year, everyone involved now knows it's going to take a lot more work than that to make the most of this marriage.
        Boom.

There it is.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Boom.

There it is.
          Totally agree.

There was another paragraph in one of Chisholm's articles (the newer of the two about DeRozan, I think) that mentions moving DeRozan as a valuable trade chip could have several trickle-down benefits, regardless of the benefit of whatever comes back in trade: first, Fields is a better fit alongside Gay, providing perimeter defense and off-ball play; second, removing DeRozan as a heavy usage 2nd scoring option would allow Lowry to play to his penetrating/scoring strength more often, since he'd be needed more as a scorer than he currently is behind the Gay/DeRozan tandem.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Totally agree.

There was another paragraph in one of Chisholm's articles (the newer of the two about DeRozan, I think) that mentions moving DeRozan as a valuable trade chip could have several trickle-down benefits, regardless of the benefit of whatever comes back in trade: first, Fields is a better fit alongside Gay, providing perimeter defense and off-ball play; second, removing DeRozan as a heavy usage 2nd scoring option would allow Lowry to play to his penetrating/scoring strength more often, since he'd be needed more as a scorer than he currently is behind the Gay/DeRozan tandem.
            Boom.

There it is.

Raptors play east-west whereas Lowry thrives north-south.

Comment

Boom.

There it is.
              Except that this passage comes a couple paragraphs after Chisolm has already said this:

Since the All-Star break, Lowry has shot 38.3 per cent from the field, 30.7 per cent from three and just 69.9 per cent from the free throw line. He has been given far less freedom than he had during his last two years in Houston and that is reflected in the offensive output he's offered since getting his starting job back. He has to be a standout three-point shooter, given the makeup of the roster and has to be a more efficient scorer, in general, if the team's wings are going to remain mostly unchanged heading into '13-'14. This team is starved for perimeter efficiency with Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan doing their thing, so Lowry has to help balance out their deficiencies, not exacerbate them.
              There's a cognitive dissonance in those two statements. What are you asking Lowry to do? Be his aggressive, inefficient self who exacerbates the issue, or be a floor leader who can balance out the deficiencies of his teammates? It can't be both, and Casey can't design an offense that fits that type of inefficient backcourt combination.

Not only that, but Chisolm doesn't even touch on how those 3 guys play defense, which ultimately has a huge impact on the type of offense they can run. All three are poor and/or risk-taking defenders -- ie. they're not good a 'team defense' -- so they don't get an aopportunity to run the type of more free-wheeling offense that would suit their current perimeter players' offensive weaknesses better.

I agree with his point that, all else remaining the same, Lowry needs to adapt his game to get the most out of the roster as a whole; and that, because Demar and Gay are both inefficient scorers who need a lot of shots to get their buckets, that means Lowry needs to be even more efficient, both shooting and distributing, to compensate. Maybe that's simply not possible, however. I think he's been trying; just not sure it's within his skillset.

If you want Lowry to play the way he played in Houston, then you need to get rid of one or both of Gay/Derozan (or, ask them to adjust their games for the good of the team instead of asking Lowry to do it). It comes back to the same point: this roster is ill-built to play together. There are players with value, but their value is drastically lessened by their fit as a complete unit here in Toronto. And it would seem to me that, given the money already allotted to Gay and Demar, fitting pieces around Lowry is not likely on the agenda.
              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Boom.

There it is.
                In order for a drive and kick PG to work you need a 35 - 40% 3pt shooter in either corner and a big that can facilitate.

Rudy and DeMar both pledged to religiously work on their 3 ball. Pau Gasol is actually the ideal fit in terms of skillset.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                  Except that this passage comes a couple paragraphs after Chisolm has already said this:

There's a cognitive dissonance in those two statements. What are you asking Lowry to do? Be his aggressive, inefficient self who exacerbates the issue, or be a floor leader who can balance out the deficiencies of his teammates? It can't be both, and Casey can't design an offense that fits that type of inefficient backcourt combination.

Not only that, but Chisolm doesn't even touch on how those 3 guys play defense, which ultimately has a huge impact on the type of offense they can run. All three are poor and/or risk-taking defenders -- ie. they're not good a 'team defense' -- so they don't get an aopportunity to run the type of more free-wheeling offense that would suit their current perimeter players' offensive weaknesses better.

I agree with his point that, all else remaining the same, Lowry needs to adapt his game to get the most out of the roster as a whole; and that, because Demar and Gay are both inefficient scorers who need a lot of shots to get their buckets, that means Lowry needs to be even more efficient, both shooting and distributing, to compensate. Maybe that's simply not possible, however. I think he's been trying; just not sure it's within his skillset.

If you want Lowry to play the way he played in Houston, then you need to get rid of one or both of Gay/Derozan (or, ask them to adjust their games for the good of the team instead of asking Lowry to do it). It comes back to the same point: this roster is ill-built to play together. There are players with value, but their value is drastically lessened by their fit as a complete unit here in Toronto. And it would seem to me that, given the money already allotted to Gay and Demar, fitting pieces around Lowry is not likely on the agenda.
                  Your quote is exactly the point. Lowry has been told to do the opposite of what has made him successful in Houston.

Inefficient? This year he is slightly below average but he is playing looking over his shoulder and asked to change what he has naturally always done.

That is quite the perception and twist you have on Lowry. It was known how Lowry played the game when he was brought in from Houston. What I want is him to be the player that was brought in from Houston.

I am praying DeRozan is traded so we have one less player who needs to have the air pounded off the ball waiting for him to run around screens to settle for a 22 foot jump shot.

As for Casey, I am assuming you watch the games. I've seen better offense run in high school. That is on the coach. And prior to Calderon's trade it was hardly a joy to experience either. How many stretches of games did we endure 5-8minute scoring droughts because the 20+ft jumpers were not falling.... there is a reason those shots are always available.

Comment

The problem with 'letting Lowry go' is it means taking away usage from Gay and Demar.

Now I don't have a problem with that personally. But this organization just claimed Gay + Derozan are their 'building blocks'.

If you want Lowry to play the way he played in Houston, then you need to get rid of one or both of Gay/Derozan (or, ask them to adjust their games for the good of the team instead of asking Lowry to do it). It comes back to the same point: this roster is ill-built to play together.
                    Thats what it is.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      In order for a drive and kick PG to work you need a 35 - 40% 3pt shooter in either corner and a big that can facilitate.

Rudy and DeMar both pledged to religiously work on their 3 ball. Pau Gasol is actually the ideal fit in terms of skillset.
                      Right.

So trade DeMar already or make him a 6th man.

Comment

Right.

If he doesn't come back with a 3pt shot I would skip the 6th man part and go straight to the trade.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Right.

No. Ugh.

Let's use the MLE. lol
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I say that because my ideal would be Landry Fields (healthy) in the 6th man role

Comment

It would be a shame, and a total waste, if Lowry comes back next season looking to pass than create.

Comment

Working...
                              X