View Poll Results: Jonas for Harden? Would you?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 27.50%
  • No

29 72.50%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Bill Simmons: NBA Trade Value

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I also don't think Hibbert is a very good comparison. You also have to consider things like motor and development. I don't like the Parish comparison either. His numbers are deceptive because of how dominant Boston was, but he was not the guy you went to for a play in the post.

Trying to think of a comparison for Jonas is hard. He's got a lot of qualities that make you think of different bigs. For me, one guy he reminds me of, and I think in many ways is a good comparison, is Alonzo Mourning, who frankly in his prime would be the 2nd best C today behind a healthy Howard. A big who plays with a lot of intensity. Provides lane intimidation both with strength and length. Rebounds the ball. Has a versatile offensive game where he can both backdown and face up. I think both their games have a good mix of strength, finesse and athleticisim, with JV having probably a bit more finesse and a bit less athleticisim, but also having more size. I see that comparison increasingly becoming JV's worst case in my eyes.
    I was thinking Alonzo too but i haven't seen enough of him to really make a comparison. Robert parish, i just kinda randomly threw out there

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

After watching a full season of Jonas, I would say he reminds me of Andrew Bynum in some ways -- good lane presence, keeps hands up, uses elbows well; but with more finesse & mobility that reminds me of Pau Gasol, especially with the lefty hooks. Similar to those two guys, Valanciunas sags off when guarding the pick & roll because of the lack of mobility -- so guards tend to go around him & he tries to make up with his length.

He's a real post presence on the block which is very promising but defensively, he struggles against smaller guards & especially in pick and roll coverage. I mentioned Bynum first since Valanciunas is not as skilled as Gasol (yet...?) in terms of passing, finesse. But his ability to hit mid range jumpers & play more in the high post is the reason why I mentioned Gasol soon after.

Either way, I think those are 2 good comparables & which is why I'm very high on Jonas after his first season -- at 20 years old. Once he bulks up, slow down his pace, develop more skills & react better on rotations, I have full confidence that he will be putting up all-star center numbers.

I think he will be an all-star either on his 4th year or soon after his rookie deal expires PROVIDED the Raptors are in the playoff chase unless he regresses dramatically -- which I don't think will happen barring injuries.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I was thinking Alonzo too but i haven't seen enough of him to really make a comparison. Robert parish, i just kinda randomly threw out there
    It's hard to find a good comparison among old guys...because when you go to look for highlights of old bigs, it's mostly blocks and dunks. Still, for intensity and variety of skills I think Mourning is a good comparison. Mourning was quicker and a bit shorter, with more range, but by his 5th or 6th year, he had settled into really just playing C, whereas he was a F/C before that. So it's not a perfect comparison by any means.

Like I said, JV's bigger and a bit smoother than Mourning (close to the basket), so maybe throw in some Pau qualities, and JV also definitely knows how to use his size, much like Marc or Bynum.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 21st, 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information