Can we get new "Everything" threads each month/bimonthly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get new "Everything" threads each month/bimonthly

I brought this up on the Everything Valanciunas thread and was directed here, so here I am.

The Everything threads were explained to me as such:

"The idea behind the catch-all "Everything xxx" threads were to prevent new threads being created around the same time/topic, which inevitably boiled down to the same discussion/debate going on in multiple threads; unnecessary duplication."

I completely get it, as duplication sucks. No one wants to respond to a thread, only to find out there's already a thread about it, and the other one is where everyone has been posting.

My issue comes from the fact that an Everything thread that has been around since 2011 is no longer serving that purpose. When you go into a thread with 98 pages, you basically have no idea what's been discussed because there is no way you're going to catch up on 98 pages worth of posts before you post. If I were to read the whole Valanciunas thread, it would take hours. So I literally have no idea whether I'm duplicating posts from earlier in the thread or not. If the thread were a manageable 10ish pages, it'd be easy to read everything and join in on the discussion.

That's why I'm proposing that a new "Everything" thread gets created for each player every month/bimonthly, or maybe when the thread gets to 20 pages, something like that. The old thread could then be locked. That way the threads will always be relatively recent and relevant. The Jonas thread started in September 2011, and there is no way anyone now is going to be responding to any posts from back then, so why keep them in a basically front paged thread (its always near the top of the forums because its so active). I really enjoy posting on the forums here and would love to discuss Jonas but when I see a 98 page thread I literally just go "fuck that, way too many posts for me to catch up on."

It seems like the forums are getting busier and busier so the problem I just discussed will only be magnified. Having the Everything threads be refreshed periodically to keep them current and of a manageable size will make it a lot easier for the people new to the forums to join in too.

Basically, I don't see any negatives from trying something like this, other than a little more work for the mods (sorry guys). Thoughts?

Primer wrote: View Post
    I brought this up on the Everything Valanciunas thread and was directed here, so here I am.

The Everything threads were explained to me as such:

"The idea behind the catch-all "Everything xxx" threads were to prevent new threads being created around the same time/topic, which inevitably boiled down to the same discussion/debate going on in multiple threads; unnecessary duplication."

I completely get it, as duplication sucks. No one wants to respond to a thread, only to find out there's already a thread about it, and the other one is where everyone has been posting.

My issue comes from the fact that an Everything thread that has been around since 2011 is no longer serving that purpose. When you go into a thread with 98 pages, you basically have no idea what's been discussed because there is no way you're going to catch up on 98 pages worth of posts before you post. If I were to read the whole Valanciunas thread, it would take hours. So I literally have no idea whether I'm duplicating posts from earlier in the thread or not. If the thread were a manageable 10ish pages, it'd be easy to read everything and join in on the discussion.

That's why I'm proposing that a new "Everything" thread gets created for each player every month/bimonthly, or maybe when the thread gets to 20 pages, something like that. The old thread could then be locked. That way the threads will always be relatively recent and relevant. The Jonas thread started in September 2011, and there is no way anyone now is going to be responding to any posts from back then, so why keep them in a basically front paged thread (its always near the top of the forums because its so active). I really enjoy posting on the forums here and would love to discuss Jonas but when I see a 98 page thread I literally just go "fuck that, way too many posts for me to catch up on."

It seems like the forums are getting busier and busier so the problem I just discussed will only be magnified. Having the Everything threads be refreshed periodically to keep them current and of a manageable size will make it a lot easier for the people new to the forums to join in too.

Basically, I don't see any negatives from trying something like this, other than a little more work for the mods (sorry guys). Thoughts?
    I wonder if the other mods and admins will see it, it's an interesting proposal. I'll bring it up with them, that is if they don't see this.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

New members should have to sign an affidavit that they read every single post in the "Everything Bargnani" and "Everything Valanciunas" threads before making their first post. Some community service hours may be in order also.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Primer. Shows you care.

We'll discuss it.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
          New members should have to sign an affidavit that they read every single post in the "Everything Bargnani" and "Everything Valanciunas" threads before making their first post. Some community service hours may be in order also.
          Canada doesn't believe in torture, sir.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Canada doesn't believe in torture, sir.
            Haven't you heard about Curling?

Comment

Yeah, the "Everything" thread was my answer to what I called "Bargnani Spamming". It seemed to stop it... Eventually.

From there it proved valuable for other reasons, primarily, it serves as a great archive of discussions; the Bargnani thread spans years and has over a million views and has hundreds of contributors.

Anyway, it you look back at why they were created in the first place I'm not sure every player warrants his own dedicated thread unless there is something going on with him or if he's a key part of the team who gets discussed a lot on a daily basis. That's just my take.

Sig wrote: View Post
              Haven't you heard about Curling?
              Only torture if you don't enjoy watching women sweeping furiously and more importantly, you're being forced to watch it.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Yeah, the "Everything" thread was my answer to what I called "Bargnani Spamming". It seemed to stop it... Eventually.

From there it proved valuable for other reasons, primarily, it serves as a great archive of discussions; the Bargnani thread spans years and has over a million views and has hundreds of contributors.

Anyway, it you look back at why they were created in the first place I'm not sure every player warrants his own dedicated thread unless there is something going on with him or if he's a key part of the team who gets discussed a lot on a daily basis. That's just my take.

Only torture if you don't enjoy watching women sweeping furiously and more importantly, you're being forced to watch it.
                We could achieve the same great archive of discussion by locking the threads when they get too big and creating a new one. The whole reason I don't post in everything threads is exactly what you said, it dates back years and has over 400 pages of content. I can't go into that thread and have any fucking clue what's going on, other than Bargs is being discussed in some capacity. Neither can any new members to the forums, or anyone who hasn't been positing in it for years. You could still get your "I told you so" moments by copy/pasting out of the archived threads. Losing the reply with quote functionality shouldn't be a big deal, especially when compared with the need for newer/less active posters to know what the hell everyone is talking about in the thread.

Main point, I am far more inclined to create a new thread about Bargs to discuss whatever I want to discuss about him, than I am to read through the entire everything Bargs post to see if anyone has discussed that in there yet. Therefore, it encourages duplication of discussions by having these unmanageabley large and old threads. In addition to scaring away new and less active posters from joining the discussion.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  We could achieve the same great archive of discussion by locking the threads when they get too big and creating a new one. The whole reason I don't post in everything threads is exactly what you said, it dates back years and has over 400 pages of content. I can't go into that thread and have any fucking clue what's going on, other than Bargs is being discussed in some capacity. Neither can any new members to the forums, or anyone who hasn't been positing in it for years. You could still get your "I told you so" moments by copy/pasting out of the archived threads. Losing the reply with quote functionality shouldn't be a big deal, especially when compared with the need for newer/less active posters to know what the hell everyone is talking about in the thread.

Main point, I am far more inclined to create a new thread about Bargs to discuss whatever I want to discuss about him, than I am to read through the entire everything Bargs post to see if anyone has discussed that in there yet. Therefore, it encourages duplication of discussions by having these unmanageabley large and old threads. In addition to scaring away new and less active posters from joining the discussion.
                  To add on this: for archiving sake, I think that it would actually be much easier to find old theme's if the threads weren't merged into one big pile, but if there was a good tagging system, where every thread would only have a few tags and you could find older threads about a player through a tagging cloud. That way it's much easier to find threads about a certain subject in relation to a player (or anything else).

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    To add on this: for archiving sake, I think that it would actually be much easier to find old theme's if the threads weren't merged into one big pile, but if there was a good tagging system, where every thread would only have a few tags and you could find older threads about a player through a tagging cloud. That way it's much easier to find threads about a certain subject in relation to a player (or anything else).
                    I like the tagging idea, I'll have to look into it.

One idea I had was to create sub-folders for past seasons, allowing all discussion from each season to be archived together. Whether or not there are "everything" threads, fresh thread would be started with each new season. The one question I still had was about offseasons, as to whether they would be included in the season they came before (ie: 2013 offseason would be included in 2013-2014 season sub-folder) or if there'd be enough discussion (ie: draft, free agency, potentially coaches/GM, etc...) to warrant sub-folders of their own.

All current season discussion would still be out in the open in the main "Everything Raptors" forum, with sub-folders being created just to archive past seasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X