Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2014 draft just got deeper... Hands off the 1st round pick Colangelo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Don't forget the world team are all about, on average, 2 years older.
    The players I mentioned were born in 1993 though the average difference between the International and USA rosters is less than a year.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/ho...it/roster.html

Comment

A guy I can't stop thinking of since Smart made his decision: Willie Warren. Probably because they have some similar aspects to their game and body types.

Warren played with Griffin his freshman year in college. He had a great year, and if I remember correctly was widely considered a lottery pick (I think even top 10?) in 2009. He decided to stay another year....to work on his game? to try and shine without being in Griffin's shadow? I don't know why. He had a decent sophomore year, but he didn't improve much and had to fight an injury....he ended up going 54th in the 2010 draft. From lottery pick to 54....and then he was a benchwarmer for the Clippers for a year before washing out of the NBA.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 21, 2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Regardless of almost every other factor, I can't help but think that passing up on top-5 pick status (guaranteed money, and a fair amount at that) is incredibly stupid and risky.

Comment

why are you guys even talking about draft? we are giving it up to make playoffs, right?

right?

Comment

Nerlens Noel had an insurance policy. I am sure if Smart does not have one he will surely have one for next year.

From a financial perspective, he really is crazy.
            Sure, Smart will have a policy that will pay him a few millions if he suffers a career-ending injury. He certainly has proven to be good enough talent for someone (or a financial institution) to loan him a large sum (tens of thousands) to pay for said policy.

This decision will cost him at least $3M in salaries over the next four years. It's possible he hopes his increased college visibility will allow him to land a bigger shoe (or whatever) contract, but that's a risk that I would not take... I believe his financial advisor gave him really bad advice.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read anything in the article about him staying a year to become a better player.
              Isn't that usually part of why guys stay back?
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I might be missing something extremely simple but I thought a team cannot trade first rounders in consecutive years, so by virtue of not having a pick this season, Toronto automatically cannot ship their 2014 first round pick?

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                  I might be missing something extremely simple but I thought a team cannot trade first rounders in consecutive years, so by virtue of not having a pick this season, Toronto automatically cannot ship their 2014 first round pick?
                  Two consecutive years but the clock resets on July 1st.

The rule is forward looking.

Comment

Anyways, if Colangelo touches the 2014 draft pick, I'll lose my shit. It is looking to be one of the deeper drafts in recent years headlined by Canada's own Andrew Wiggins.
                    Does the Ted Stephian rule apply here anyway? We can't trade the 2014 draft pick because the 2013 draft pick is already in play.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      Does the Ted Stephian rule apply here anyway? We can't trade the 2014 draft pick because the 2013 draft pick is already in play.
                      No.

The rule is forward looking meaning the clock resets on July 1st, 2013.

Comment

No.

The rule is forward looking meaning the clock resets on July 1st, 2013.
                        Hopefully he won't be the GM of the Raptors any more by then.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

It really scares me that BC might be around for the 2014 offseason. With all the players that are most likely going to be in FA and then on top of that the draft pool there's a real opportunity to get this team on the right path. I'm terrified that idiot is going to trade Ross for Carl Landry or something moronic.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Two consecutive years but the clock resets on July 1st.

The rule is forward looking.
                            I always thought you just simply cannot have no first rounders in consecutive years. Timing would be irrelevant in this case. Could you link me to a credible source that says this? I can't seem to.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                              Isn't that usually part of why guys stay back?
                              I don't know; maybe it is. But I got from the article that he had a pretty difficult time growing up and that he feels at his place in college and wants to enjoy it for another year. This might cost him a lot of money, but if it helps him as a person to feel better, it might be a very good trade off. He can get insurance to protect himself against an injury. Worst case scenario he'll probably earn a lot less money, but money is not the be all and end all of life.

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                                I always thought you just simply cannot have no first rounders in consecutive years. Timing would be irrelevant in this case. Could you link me to a credible source that says this? I can't seem to.
                                The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2011-12 season, then a team can trade its 2012 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2011 pick, since their 2011 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2012 and 2013 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.
                                http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85

Comment

Working...
                                X