Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The 2014 draft just got deeper... Hands off the 1st round pick Colangelo!

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read anything in the article about him staying a year to become a better player.
    Isn't that usually part of why guys stay back?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I might be missing something extremely simple but I thought a team cannot trade first rounders in consecutive years, so by virtue of not having a pick this season, Toronto automatically cannot ship their 2014 first round pick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRX wrote: View Post
    I might be missing something extremely simple but I thought a team cannot trade first rounders in consecutive years, so by virtue of not having a pick this season, Toronto automatically cannot ship their 2014 first round pick?
    Two consecutive years but the clock resets on July 1st.

The rule is forward looking.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Anyways, if Colangelo touches the 2014 draft pick, I'll lose my shit. It is looking to be one of the deeper drafts in recent years headlined by Canada's own Andrew Wiggins.
    Does the Ted Stephian rule apply here anyway? We can't trade the 2014 draft pick because the 2013 draft pick is already in play.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Does the Ted Stephian rule apply here anyway? We can't trade the 2014 draft pick because the 2013 draft pick is already in play.
    No.

The rule is forward looking meaning the clock resets on July 1st, 2013.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No.

The rule is forward looking meaning the clock resets on July 1st, 2013.
    Hopefully he won't be the GM of the Raptors any more by then.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

It really scares me that BC might be around for the 2014 offseason. With all the players that are most likely going to be in FA and then on top of that the draft pool there's a real opportunity to get this team on the right path. I'm terrified that idiot is going to trade Ross for Carl Landry or something moronic.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Two consecutive years but the clock resets on July 1st.

The rule is forward looking.
    I always thought you just simply cannot have no first rounders in consecutive years. Timing would be irrelevant in this case. Could you link me to a credible source that says this? I can't seem to.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Isn't that usually part of why guys stay back?
    I don't know; maybe it is. But I got from the article that he had a pretty difficult time growing up and that he feels at his place in college and wants to enjoy it for another year. This might cost him a lot of money, but if it helps him as a person to feel better, it might be a very good trade off. He can get insurance to protect himself against an injury. Worst case scenario he'll probably earn a lot less money, but money is not the be all and end all of life.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRX wrote: View Post
    I always thought you just simply cannot have no first rounders in consecutive years. Timing would be irrelevant in this case. Could you link me to a credible source that says this? I can't seem to.
    The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2011-12 season, then a team can trade its 2012 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2011 pick, since their 2011 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2012 and 2013 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85

11. Like Dino4life, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, thanks. Wow, I'm an idiot. That makes complete sense since once the draft is over, the 2013 pick is irrelevant.

EDIT: In that case, Jesus Christ, I hope the 2014 pick doesn't get traded unless the Raptors end up with like LeBron, rofl
    Last edited by TRX; Mon Apr 22nd, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time for Wiggins to make a decision. It's May already. The longer he waits the more it looks like prima donna behaviour.

I hope it's not UK. Carolina blue would be good, Kansas blue would work for me but if it's going to be bluegrass, I'm jumping off the Wiggins bandwagon, sorry.

FSU would be OK, too.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    It's time for Wiggins to make a decision. It's May already. The longer he waits the more it looks like prima donna behaviour.

I hope it's not UK. Carolina blue would be good, Kansas blue would work for me but if it's going to be bluegrass, I'm jumping off the Wiggins bandwagon, sorry.

FSU would be OK, too.
    He's the top recruit in the past decade, I think he has the right to take his time and weigh his options. Lol.

I'd also hate to see him go to Kentucky...with the Harrison twins, James Young and Randle already headed there, it's going to be difficult to make a name for himself in the college game.

My dream would be for him to join XRM at Florida State. Bring the school back to some sort of recognition.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

He's the top recruit in the past decade, I think he has the right to take his time and weigh his options. Lol.

I'd also hate to see him go to Kentucky...with the Harrison twins, James Young and Randle already headed there, it's going to be difficult to make a name for himself in the college game.

My dream would be for him to join XRM at Florida State. Bring the school back to some sort of recognition.
    Summer semester starts on Monday. Players, especially in coming freshmen, reduce their spring semester (tournament time) load by taking courses pre season. Coaches are allowed to coach players enrolled in school over the summer. UK with all its' one and done recruits would have close to the entire team in fold next week.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it doesn't matter much to his draft stock where he plays, he's already got huge #1 hype. I'm not sure he should go to FSU though, as even with Wiggins they'd still be a middling contender in the new ACC. I'd rather see Andrew go somewhere he can go deep in the tournament and compete for the national championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I saw that about Smart. Definitely a surprising decision not to declare. Given the strength of next year's class it's a pretty risky move.

As for the Raps, not really sure what I'd want to happen with next year's pick. I want it to add talent to the team, and talent that fits in the long-term, not just a band-aid. If that happens to be in a good trade, I'll accept that...but if BC just throws the pick around trying to shed Bargs or trying to acquire something like a backup big or PG, I'll be beyond disappointed.
    Hopefully BC will be gone prior to the draft...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information