Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Raps finish 12th - Was Lowry worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official: Raps finish 12th - Was Lowry worth it?

With the late season push the Raptors saw their draft pick go from 8 to 12. The Sixers won the coin flip marking a two year losing streak for Toronto. In future years we should request a loonie be used as it appears the US coins are biased.

Four ties among teams that finished the 2012-13 NBA regular season with identical records were broken today through random drawings to help determine the order of selection for the 2013 NBA Draft, which will be held on Thursday, June 27.

The drawings were conducted earlier today in New York City by Jason Cahilly, NBA Executive Vice President, Strategy and Chief Financial Officer, and Dan Rube, NBA Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel. The tiebreak process was overseen by Denise Pelli, a partner in the accounting firm of Ernst & Young.

The results of the drawings:

Detroit (29-53) won a tiebreaker with Washington.
    Philadelphia (34-48) won a tiebreaker with Toronto.
    Houston (45-37) won a tiebreaker with Chicago and the L.A. Lakers; L.A. Lakers then won a tie-breaker with Chicago.
    L.A. Clippers (56-26) won a tiebreaker with Memphis.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-draft-ties-broken

The Raptors have 7 of 1000 balls to get a top 3 pick. If they do not, pick goes to OKC. There is a 2.6% chance Toronto picks top 3.

So now that we know the lottery pick going to OKC via HOU is likely to be #12 and with one year of Lowry complete, what do you think of the trade now? Was Lowry worth the 12th pick in the 2013 draft?
    Yes
    84.38%
    No
    15.63%
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 20, 2013, 09:41 AM.

I don't see how some could argue he's not. With Harris, Smart, McGary, and Robinson III all returning for another year, one of the worst drafts managed to get worse. I'd be surprised if this is much better than the Kenyon Martin draft. 100% worth it.

Comment

Ok, avoiding dissecting Lowry's season, I think it was totally worth it. Definitely a weak draft. Definitely worth giving Lowry a look at starting PG. Did things turn out ideally? No. I still think Lowry can be a starter for this team, and given not only how weak the draft is, but how weak at PG it is, I have no problem not having that lottery pick.

Comment

Yes worth it especially with how he played in the last 2 months he got injured a lot in the earlier days and couldn't play his style and it was a learning process. A PG must learn everything about his teammates its going to take a little while to get the passing down, but in that final 2 months I was happy with what he was bringing to the team. The guy is a potential triple double any night next season I project him doing regular double-doubles each night, a healthy Lowry is really good for the Raptors I dont think he truly ever completely recovered this season.

Comment

I think it was worth it.

At the time of the trade I was all for it. As the season unfolded and Lowry had his injuries/struggles/change in play I was in doubt. The two guys who I really liked at the time were in the mid teens (Burke and Porter). However, those guys are now at the top of the draft.

This really is a weak one but good players will come out of it.

I am hoping a late teen-early 20 pick can be acquired. I really do like Adetokunbo long term and he seems like a great Euro-stash.

Comment

Because there are no obvious franchise players at the top of the draft board the 2013 draft has been deemed a "bad draft class." Weak at the top there is lots of depth in this draft so that at the 12th position, if it turns out that way, OKC could be drafting someone like CJ McCollum, G. Dieng, perhaps even Michael Carter Williams will still be available.

If you recall going into the 2011 draft, it was deemed the worst draft in years and as it turned out it was a good draft year with Irving, T. Thompson, Valanciunas, Kanter, Knight, Klay Thompson, Leonard, Farried, T. Harris, and Singler all playing big minutes in the NBA 2 years later.

Both the Raptors and OKC lack depth at the point guard position. The real question is would the Raptors at this point be willing to trade Lowry for the pick back? Would OKC do this? I think the answer is no.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I think it was worth it.

At the time of the trade I was all for it. As the season unfolded and Lowry had his injuries/struggles/change in play I was in doubt. The two guys who I really liked at the time were in the mid teens (Burke and Porter). However, those guys are now at the top of the draft.

I am hoping a late teen-early 20 pick can be acquired. I really do like Adetokunbo long term and he seems like a great Euro-stash.
              I'm pickin up what you're putting down.

Only problem with acquiring a pick is that it's the exact opposite of BC's MO. BC sells picks unfortunately and is not a buyer. Hell freezing over is more likely in my opinion.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                I'm pickin up what you're putting down.

Only problem with acquiring a pick is that it's the exact opposite of BC's MO. BC sells picks unfortunately and is not a buyer. Hell freezing over is more likely in my opinion.
                Maybe the stashing of JV and how that has worked out will change his MO?

For a man who sells hopes and dreams of a bright future with a motto of "Next year!" stashing an athletic freak in Europe who he can compare to the likes of Batum/Leonard/George is pure solid gold.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  Yes worth it especially with how he played in the last 2 months he got injured a lot in the earlier days and couldn't play his style and it was a learning process. A PG must learn everything about his teammates its going to take a little while to get the passing down, but in that final 2 months I was happy with what he was bringing to the team. The guy is a potential triple double any night next season I project him doing regular double-doubles each night, a healthy Lowry is really good for the Raptors I dont think he truly ever completely recovered this season.
                  This to me is a big concern with Lowry. He needs to be a bit less wreckless physically at times. And I think he also could stand to lean down and shed 5, maybe even 10 lbs. I want him to get injured less because of his style, and be quicker at rehabbing/reconditioning which I think his extra weight hurts a bit. And in general I think it's obvious he's at his best when he can maximize his quickness, so I really think just leaning down even a bit would be good for him.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I think it was worth it.

I guess the question becomes....does anyone want to give up a late 1st rder or early 2nd rder (not necessarily just for Adetokunbo) for something like Alan Anderson in a sign and trade? Toronto really doesn't have a lot to work with. Maybe someone gives one up for Bargnani (maybe Chicago), but even that seems a bit unlikely. Tough position to be in...

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I guess the question becomes....does anyone want to give up a late 1st rder or early 2nd rder (not necessarily just for Adetokunbo) for something like Alan Anderson in a sign and trade? Toronto really doesn't have a lot to work with. Maybe someone gives one up for Bargnani (maybe Chicago), but even that seems a bit unlikely. Tough position to be in...
                      That is the one I keep crossing my fingers on.

BC scouting him knowing he is likely to be a first round pick means the possibility is at least on the table.... that or he wanted a Greece stop on the end of his Italian vacation.

Comment

I don't even like Lowry that much, but I believe he was worth it

Comment

I'm not a big Lowry fan after watching this season either, but it's tough to argue they'd get a better player at their current draft spot.

However, the whole "miss the playoffs, have no lottery pick" is a very tough pill to swallow.

Hindsight: it's kinda starting to look like the Lowry trade doomed us to NBA no mans land - just outside playoff contention with only a minute chance of getting a cornerstone piece in the draft. The Gay trade has the same feel.

Comment

u mean were turning into the bucks -_-

Comment

d749 wrote: View Post
                              u mean were turning into the bucks -_-
                              Nah we're easily more talented than the Bucks at almost every position cept for maybe PF because of Ilyasova.

Comment

Working...
                              X