Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Raps finish 12th - Was Lowry worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

d749 wrote: View Post
    u mean were turning into the bucks -_-
    I'd accepted mediocrity if we got a cool commercial along the lines of Brandon/Monta

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      Because there are no obvious franchise players at the top of the draft board the 2013 draft has been deemed a "bad draft class." Weak at the top there is lots of depth in this draft so that at the 12th position, if it turns out that way, OKC could be drafting someone like CJ McCollum, G. Dieng, perhaps even Michael Carter Williams will still be available.

If you recall going into the 2011 draft, it was deemed the worst draft in years and as it turned out it was a good draft year with Irving, T. Thompson, Valanciunas, Kanter, Knight, Klay Thompson, Leonard, Farried, T. Harris, and Singler all playing big minutes in the NBA 2 years later.

Both the Raptors and OKC lack depth at the point guard position. The real question is would the Raptors at this point be willing to trade Lowry for the pick back? Would OKC do this? I think the answer is no.
      Except this was considered a weaker draft, and 5 lottery picks just said theyre returning to college. Trading Lowry for the 12th pick is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. He may be a borderline starter but in this draft the 12th pick will have a borderline role player.

Comment

It was worth it considering the perceived talent level of the 2013 draft class. If anyone can find talent with that pick it's Presti.

I still think we should have taken serious consideration into signing Lin or Dragic at the start of the season (then we would have had that pick to entice a bargnani trade).

Comment

Easily worth it. Even with a slightly down year Lowry still had a PER of 17.5 and a WS/48 of .133. Youre not going to get that kind of production from a 12 pick in this years draft, especially since it looks like a bunch of bush league centers being available around that pick.

Comment

Definitely worth it. I've maintained all year that this exact situation we are in, would ultimately be the best for the long term. We get a potential perennial Starter at one of the harder spots to secure, and all we give up is a #12 pick? This had to be exactly what BC envisioned happening when he made the deal... Or is that giving him too much credit?

Comment

I have a feeling we'll see the real Lowry next season, so yes it was worth it.
              Next season is gonna be one of the Raptors' best yet, book it.

Comment

In my mind it pretty much worked out how I expected... Prior to the season I assumed we would just miss out the playoffs. I thought we'd have a few more wins but definitely be in the 12-14 spot. We gave up good value and it isn't a high pick where there would be more media scrutiny on Lowry next season

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Definitely worth it. I've maintained all year that this exact situation we are in, would ultimately be the best for the long term. We get a potential perennial Starter at one of the harder spots to secure, and all we give up is a #12 pick? This had to be exactly what BC envisioned happening when he made the deal... Or is that giving him too much credit?
                  Too much credit.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Too much credit.

Haha Thought so. He probably envisioned us making the playoffs for all 5/6 years knowing his Ego .. haha

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                      Except this was considered a weaker draft, and 5 lottery picks just said theyre returning to college. Trading Lowry for the 12th pick is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. He may be a borderline starter but in this draft the 12th pick will have a borderline role player.
                      Total agreement. Trading Lowry for a rando 12th pick = laughable.

Comment

you guys shouldnt celebrated just yet. not untill the end of the month just. Remember the last bad draft ? we won it. If we win the 3rd pick overall with noel and bennett gone, our 2014 pick still in jeopardy, i think i'll cry for a whole week.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                          you guys shouldnt celebrated just yet. not untill the end of the month just. Remember the last bad draft ? we won it. If we win the 3rd pick overall with noel and bennett gone, our 2014 pick still in jeopardy, i think i'll cry for a whole week.
                          I won't cry selecting Trey Burke.

Comment

That would be a dream come true.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

another 6'0 PG battle for the starting spot ? Do we really want to go down that road, i'm not even a fan lowry (i was a pass first back in my day) but we despratly need stability, and the opposite of lowry as back up pg so they can mesh.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                                another 6'0 PG battle for the starting spot ? Do we really want to go down that road, i'm not even a fan lowry (i was a pass first back in my day) but we despratly need stability, and the opposite of lowry as back up pg so they can mesh.
                                Chris Paul is 6'0". Ty Lawson is 5'10". I could go on but I won't.

I suggest you read up on Burke, from DraftExpress:

The consensus national player of the year in every major award, even before leading Michigan on an exhilarating NCAA Tournament run to the national championship game, Trey Burke made tremendous strides in his sophomore season, upping his NBA draft stock significantly in the process.

Burke made a substantial statistical jump in many key areas this season, improving his scoring (+21%), assist (+40%) and steal (+75%) rates, upping his 2-point (+1%), 3-point (+3.5%), and free throw percentages (6.1%), while cutting down on his turnover rate (-35%) and nearly doubling his assist to turnover ratio. In addition, his pure point rating went from being ranked 57th amongst all NCAA point guards last season to second best this year.

Burke is undersized for a point guard, standing around six feet with a relatively narrow frame, but as mentioned in the past, he compensates for that somewhat with an extremely long 6-5 wingspan. He is a solid athlete as well, quick in the open floor and extremely shifty in the half-court, although not terribly explosive around the basket.

The engine behind the #1 offense in college basketball, Burke was arguably the best pick and roll point guard in the NCAA this season, able to put incredible pressure on the defense thanks to the tremendous balance he brings between scoring and facilitating for others. The fact that he can make shots from anywhere on the floor, find the open man instantaneously, or get to the rim makes him extremely difficult to game-plan against.

A highly creative passer, Burke can make plays for teammates in a number of ways, using lobs, bounce passes, kick-outs or dump-offs to find the open man confidently in the half-court or in transition. He sees the floor well, and is not predictable at all with the way he decides to attack the defense on any given possession, thanks to his tremendous versatility.

A fantastic ball-handler with the ability to create offense with either hand and also change speeds at will, Burke has terrific timing and patience in the half-court, not being afraid to use his body to seek out contact in the lane or put a defender on his hip in the mid-range area to create an advantage. He is an expert at stopping and using an extra dribble or two to force the defense to react, and then subsequently reading what happens, either finding the open man or pulling up off the dribble himself.

His maturity as a playmaker came a long way this season, as he did a great job cutting down on turnovers this season, coughing the ball up on just 13% of his possessions, second best among DX Top-100 ranked point guards.

In addition to the 7.7 assists per-40 minutes he averaged this season, Burke also carried Michigan on plenty of nights in the scoring column as well, averaging 21.5 points per-40 on excellent shooting percentages (50% 2P%, 38% 3P%, 80% FT%).

Burke is first and foremost an excellent shooter, able to make shots with both his feet set (44%) or off the dribble (42%), inside and outside the arc. He has excellent core strength and subsequently deep range on his jump-shot, as he displayed on numerous occasions by hitting dagger shots from well beyond the NBA 3-point line at some of the biggest moments of Michigan's season. He has unlimited confidence in his abilities and looks to be extremely tough both mentally and physically, playing the game with terrific swagger.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2R3Pu2Ikz

His downfalls are defense and his frame which are said about every 6'0" point guard.

Comment

Working...
                                X