Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Raps finish 12th - Was Lowry worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its not that its bad that he s 6 0, but what i meant is that you d have two similar pg in styles, so the debate is gonna start before we even get into training camp, then its BC trade happy, whereas a Big is not expected to lead right away, and either one of them would flow in perfectly with amir and JV.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Chris Paul is 6'0". Ty Lawson is 5'10". I could go on but I won't.

I suggest you read up on Burke, from DraftExpress:

His downfalls are defense and his frame which are said about every 6'0" point guard.
      Top 3 though? Not even Chris Paul went top 3. GM's aren't fans on small guards in top 3.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I also don't think BC would do that. After Kyle Lowry finally statrting to feel comfortable. I don't see BC doing anything to shake that up. In this draft you can't pass on the hometown kid at the position of need. Rogers/Bell would love that pick. That would sell a lot of tickets.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Colangelo is lucky that this is such a weak draft class. Right now i'd take Lowry over any of the guys that are projected to go 10-30. Except Giannis Adetokunbo. I'm intrigued by this guy's skillset.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

If I think positive about next season will it jinx us?
            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
              I don't see how some could argue he's not. With Harris, Smart, McGary, and Robinson III all returning for another year, one of the worst drafts managed to get worse. I'd be surprised if this is much better than the Kenyon Martin draft. 100% worth it.
              +1. trade got better.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                its not that its bad that he s 6 0, but what i meant is that you d have two similar pg in styles, so the debate is gonna start before we even get into training camp, then its BC trade happy, whereas a Big is not expected to lead right away, and either one of them would flow in perfectly with amir and JV.
                Lowry and Burke's game are nothing alike. In the draft you take the best talent. PG is also a very big position of need in Toronto. Burke is on a rookie deal for 4 seasons which means the Raptors would have his rights for up to 8. See how Eric Bledsoe has worked out with the Clippers.

Comment

In a vacuum it's a pretty good deal. The chances of getting a better player than Lowry at #12 in this particular draft are low.

Big picture wise I still have my doubts however. The reports of him clashing with Casey and "not making any friends in Toronto" are concerning, especially since he's already worn out his welcome in two other cities. And at the end of the day he was an inconsistent piece on a 34 win team.

Comment

Lowry and Burke's game are nothing alike. In the draft you take the best talent. PG is also a very big position of need in Toronto. Burke is on a rookie deal for 4 seasons which means the Raptors would have his rights for up to 8. See how Eric Bledsoe has worked out with the Clippers.
                    I'm with you on this one. I would definately take Burke if i had the chance (no brainer imo). I could care less if this impacts Lowry negatively. Chauncey Billups, Chris Paul, Eric Bledsoe.......all good PGs....same team.....enough said.

Weak players shy away from competition.... You should always be prepared for competition (from within your team and from other teams).

The last 2 drafts had PGs selected with #1 picks.

Comment

There's a couple problems with the original question:
                      Primarily, it assumes that had the Lowry trade not occurred, we would still have finished in the exact same position in the standings. And that's impossible to assume. Maybe Calderon excels, the team is in playoff contention, and BC feels he needs to extend Calderon's contract rather than trading him. Or maybe Calderon goes down under the heavy workload, and Lucas ends up being our starter for most of the season, and the Raptors get a top 3 pick.
                      And given that this was a rebuilding year, I think the only real question is Lowry's long-term value to the team, which will hinge largely on the terms of Lowry's next contract and his performance under it. I was and still am entirely in favour of the Lowry trade, and if you want to reduce to a simple equation then yes, Lowry > 2013 12th overall pick.

Comment

Burke would have to have like crazy workouts to get up in the top 3. I just can't see that happening. He reminds me a lot of D.J. Augustin. When he was coming out of Texas. Good shooter, high ball I.Q. but nothing separate himself physically.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Burke would have to have like crazy workouts to get up in the top 3. I just can't see that happening. He reminds me a lot of D.J. Augustin. When he was coming out of Texas. Good shooter, high ball I.Q. but nothing separate himself physically.
                          Lillard went 6th and is ROY. Draft placing is not necessarily indicative of talent or impact in the league. Draftexpress has him at 6 after being 17 just 6 weeks ago. Moving higher is not out of the question.

Comment

Lillard went 6th and is ROY. Draft placing is not necessarily indicative of talent or impact in the league. Draftexpress has him at 6 after being 17 just 6 weeks ago. Moving higher is not out of the question.
                            Especially with a weak PG crop, and it being maybe the most important position these days, to have filled with at least someone capable.

Comment

I wasn't saying that it indicates how good he is. I'm just saying that I just can't see him getting up to top 3. Where the raptors would possibly be able to pick him.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I just don't see. GM's don't take chances on small point guards in the top 3.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X