Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Demar loses to Nate in Dunk contest

Raptors Republic Rookie Babyface_killah's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Demar loses to Nate in Dunk contest

.... In maybe the worst dunk contests in NBA history. This dunk contest reminded me when I first tried the dunk contest on NBA Live and how ugly that was. Demar did have the best dunk on the night (that off the side of the net alley-oop dunk).

What do you guys think

Post Thanks / Like

Shannon Brown and Gerald Wallace did game dunks. Boring. I hope they don't get an invite back. I thought DeMar did well... Well enough to hopefully get another invite in the future. I feel Nate deserved to win but if DeMar saved his second dunk for the final he would have won it. Close voting 51% Nate, 49% DeMar.

Raptors Republic Rookie Babyface_killah's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Shannon Brown and Gerald Wallace did game dunks. Boring. I hope they don't get an invite back. I thought DeMar did well... Well enough to hopefully get another invite in the future. I feel Nate deserved to win but if DeMar saved his second dunk for the final he would have won it. Close voting 51% Nate, 49% DeMar.
    I think they meant 51 people (with Spike voting 30 times) voted for Nate and 49 people voting for Demar.

R.I.P Dunk Contest (1984-2010)

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gerald Wallace had the worst showing ever. If it was based on best dunk, DeMar would've won. Where was the "getting the crowd involved" part for DeMar? Ugh...

Jen Heil Looking For Gold Right Now! Go Canada!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

Shittiest dunk comp ever
    Last name ever, first name greatest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Gerald Wallace had the worst showing ever. If it was based on best dunk, DeMar would've won. Where was the "getting the crowd involved" part for DeMar? Ugh...

Jen Heil Looking For Gold Right Now! Go Canada!
    We got second in the moguls too...
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I want those 45 minutes back. I'm embarrassed for everyone who took part tonight in the dunk contest.

Thank god for Charles Barkley's comic relief. The dunk contest died back in 2000 after Vince won. Everything since then has been a joke, but tonight's pathetic display took the cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta agree with eveyone-that was the worst dunk contest I have ever seen. Boring as hell. DD's dunk off the side was dope but other than that, there was no WOW moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote .40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
    DD's dunk off the side was dope but other than that, there was no WOW moment.
    After watching the replay of the dunk, it definitely didn't deserve the 50. Maybe a 45 at best. But considering the crap that was being performed prior to that, the judges had to do something to try and get the crowd into it.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

The best drunk contest?

Jeezus...like someone said on the telecast before DD had his last dunk...it was his to lose..what an underwhelming choice. He shoulda just had Weems be a foil on the last one again...they seemed to work well together. And what happened to the MJ schtick he was going to try? If there was a time to win it...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    The best drunk contest?

Jeezus...like someone said on the telecast before DD had his last dunk...it was his to lose..what an underwhelming choice. He shoulda just had Weems be a foil on the last one again...they seemed to work well together. And what happened to the MJ schtick he was going to try? If there was a time to win it...........
    Apparently props were banned this year. Hence no MJ tribute.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote .40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
    Apparently props were banned this year. Hence no MJ tribute.
    I don't think they were banned. I think Nate was saying that Spud told him he shouldn't use props. Because, the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders were props to a certain degree.

Post Thanks / Like

He's got no hang-time on his dunks, that's why they don't look as good as they should. If he could do them with a little more gracefulness, not looking like they're rushed when he's in the air, they'd be a lot better.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Rookie DoubleR_T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

dunk contest is a joke. at least the whole thing didn't seem overly planned and ridiculous like the whole sprite kryptonite man robinson vs. superman dwight howard final of last year. what happened to DeMar? regular two handed throw down for his finale, how do u explain that?... haha.. i hope this wasn't a nate robinson 3-cheat.

oh sorry, also.. we were spoiled by the vince carter dunks, will it ever happen again or is the comp toast?
    Last edited by DoubleR_T; Sun Feb 14th, 2010 at 12:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that they allowed all that over the top crap into the dunk comp over the past two or three years. Now people expect it... Gerald Wallace looked like he didn't even want to be there.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoubleR_T wrote: View Post
    oh sorry, also.. we were spoiled by the vince carter dunks, will it ever happen again or is the comp toast?
    It will continue to suck until spoiled superstars with invested egos stop avoiding it (I am looking at you Lebron, Kobe and Wade).

Do it for the freaking fans a-holes!

Post Thanks / Like

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,219531

Ball Don't Lie Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:30 am EST

Ranking All-Star Saturday night's pathetic dunk contest
    By J.E. Skeets

1. DeMar DeRozan's(notes) Off-The-Side-Of-The-Backboard Windmill Oop (First round, second dunk): Hands down — and 10's up — the best dunk of Saturday Night. Is that saying much? No. But still, it was a nice remix of Dwight Howard's 2009 throwdown in Phoenix.

2. Nate Robinson's(notes) Off-The-Glass Reverse Pump (Finals, second round): For a guy 5-foot-9, Nate sure gets a lot of power out of his dunks. This one was the equivalent of Spud Webb meeting Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner in a bolwing alley. And oh, the celebratory pompons were a nice touch.

3. DeRozan's Thru-The-Legs Baseline Reverse (First round, first dunk): For approximately 30 seconds or so, the 2010 Dunk Contest looked pretty damn promising. "If I could turn back time ..." — Cher

4. DeRozan's Over-The-Sonny (Finals, first dunk): Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was an original dunk, right? Air Canada leaped Raptors teammate Sonny Weems(notes) — who checks in at a healthy 6-foot-6 — before crushin' the oop off the glass. Great timing. How in the world did DeRozan blow this comp? Read on.

5. Nate Robinson's Off-The-Bounce 270-ish (First round, second dunk): "C'mon, Gallo!"

6. Robinson's Off-The-Bounce, Two-Hand Windmill (First round, first dunk): An excellent first dunk, which would've scored higher had it not taken him three tries.

7. Shannon Brown's(notes) Sky High Oop (First round, second dunk): I can't believe I just ranked this as the seventh best dunk of the night. On behalf of the NBA, I'm sorry.

8. DeRozan's Two-Hand Windmill (Finals, second dunk): The Rook had this contest in the bag. All he had to do for his final dunk was throw something between the legs, maybe catch an oop from Weems, and the title was his. Instead, DeRozan took off from four-feet over the foul line and put a cap on one of the lamest dunk contests ever. Sigh.

9. Robinson's Off-The-Bounce, Two-Hander (Finals, first dunk): Nate really should've kept trying that between-the-legs monster from under the net. Well, that, or jumped over those four Cowboys cheerleaders.

10. Brown's Mid-Air Switch (First round, first dunk): Shannon! Why, oh why, didn't you take a few more cracks at that Terence Stansbury Statue of Liberty-like dunk you were attempting? Instead, you panicked, called an audible and, well, did something Larry Brown would've been ashamed of. Not cool.

11. Gerald Wallace's(notes) Off-The-Bounce, Um, Game Dunk (First round, second dunk): C'mon, be honest, you thought Bobcats assist-man Flip Murray(notes) was going to pull it back to shoot the three. (Note: He should've — it would've earned Wallace a much better score.)

12. Wallace's Lame Reverse Jackknife (First round, first dunk): Maybe the NBA should pick players that want to be in the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. Just an idea.

Post Thanks / Like

probably rigged. you cant let the fans vote. it was a true winner when the judges scored it all the way through.

this contest is a riggida and hol;y commercials they took one every attempt throughout the night.
    Last edited by .40 Cal Flakes; Sun Feb 14th, 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: excessive cursing

Post Thanks / Like

My Prediction for the 2011 NBA Slam Dunk Champion:

I guess he needs to play more and pad his stats to be invited or something.

Raptors Republic Starter DarkKnight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Babyface_killah wrote: View Post
    I think they meant 51 people (with Spike voting 30 times) voted for Nate and 49 people voting for Demar.

R.I.P Dunk Contest (1984-2010)
    LOL on the Spike Lee comment!

Thread Information