Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HoopsWorld.com: Should the Raptors fire Bryan Colangelo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoopsWorld.com: Should the Raptors fire Bryan Colangelo?

From Stephen Brotherston, the beginning:

As Toronto Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo awaits a decision from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment about picking up the option year on his contract, the local media has been generous with their advice on what his future should be.

Toronto missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive year during a season when 38 wins was enough to grab eighth place in the Eastern Conference. During the past seven seasons under Colangelo’s guidance, the team has made the postseason only twice and averaged just 34 wins. On the surface at least, the calls for Colangelo’s head on a platter seem to be justified, however, one needs to look at his entire body of work in Toronto before jumping to conclusions.
    ...... and the end:

If Colangelo has proven anything over the past seven years, it is that he can make deals, even if many of the players acquired seem to get hurt soon after they arrive. Despite this, during the current rebuild, the talent level on the Raptors has improved and this team is poised to make a serious challenge at the postseason once again. Under the circumstances, the outright firing of Colangelo would make little sense. Colangelo has a strong board room and public relations presence and is an excellent choice to represent ownership with the NBA Board of Governors. If ownership believes Colangelo’s past moves entailed a level of risk that they are not comfortable with going forward, the better solution would be to give Stefanski a bigger say in future transactions. This team has enjoyed little continuity over its 18 year history; it’s time for some stability in both the executive and coaching ranks.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/should-rap...ryan-colangelo
    Yes
    75.68%
    No
    24.32%

If this article was suppose to be an endorsement, it failed. If anything it might have erased any single doubt remaining on what the Raptors should do.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      If this article was suppose to be an endorsement, it failed. If anything it might have erased any single doubt remaining on what the Raptors should do.
      You mean, this isn't enough to sway you back to Colangelo's side:

The big moves in the summer of 2007 were the signings of free agents Jason Kapono and Jamario Moon and a trade for Carlos Delfino.

Comment

It's also hilarious that the guy's argument is basically that Toronto should keep him for stability, but the main part of his argument for why BC is good is that he's constantly making moves, which fosters continuous instability.

Comment

The dog with the longest leash will be the one to turn around and bite you back. The MLSE's fascination with Colangelo is astounding. After 7 years and an ample sample size, I think he's a lousy GM. If the franchise really wants a culture change, they should just get rid of BC. I believe holding on to AB7 for too long is enough to warrant letting him go. I prefer Stefanski to take over instead. Oh, for the haters of ES, he drafted Holiday (an all star). As for BC, he doesn't have any - maybe JV but then when that happens, I hope him and his starchy collar would be long gone.

PS> The holdup at the board level is pretty telling though (re: his option). With no draft picks coming our way, there's not much for him to really do.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

It's tough to want him fired, because my gut tells me no GM with half a brain takes that job this offseason.

That said, if ownership is willing to only fire him (as in, retain the rest of the management structure), and then put Stefanski at the top even in the interim for a year or two until it's more attractive to look for a new guy, I'd be ok with that.

As much as I don't think BC has any clue what he's doing building a team...He makes moves all the time because he builds a team with no real strategy....I do think he has improved the general makeup of the organization. I don't want all that to fall apart just because they want to fire him.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              The dog with the longest leash will be the one to turn around and bite you back. The MLSE's fascination with Colangelo is astounding. After 7 years and an ample sample size, I think he's a lousy GM. If the franchise really wants a culture change, they should just get rid of BC. I believe holding on to AB7 for too long is enough to warrant letting him go. I prefer Stefanski to take over instead. Oh, for the haters of ES, he drafted Holiday (an all star). As for BC, he doesn't have any - maybe JV but then when that happens, I hope him and his starchy collar would be long gone.

PS> The holdup at the board level is pretty telling though (re: his option). With no draft picks coming our way, there's not much for him to really do.
              Seriously.

However is the whole culture change propaganda a Colangelo talking point? I think it is which is hilarious because, as the GM, he was the person at the top making the decisions for the last 7 years that has put Toronto in the situation it currently resides.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Seriously.

However is the whole culture change propaganda a Colangelo talking point? I think it is which is hilarious because, as the GM, he was the person at the top making the decisions for the last 7 years that has put Toronto in the situation it currently resides.
                I believe that many people "in the know" agree that the role of the person putting the team together is the most important in any sports franchise. It's not an accident that San Antonio, OKC, Boston, LA (now both) and others like the Atlanta Braves, Green Bay, etc are doing well year after year.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I dont get the Conclusion, "This team has enjoyed little continuity over its 18 year history; it’s time for some stability in both the executive and coaching ranks" Because 7 years is not stability ? He's been the GM for 40% of the franchise's history ? which other GM can say that ?and we have been stable, steadily mediocre, the whole point is we dont want to be that anymore.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                    I dont get the Conclusion, "This team has enjoyed little continuity over its 18 year history; it’s time for some stability in both the executive and coaching ranks" Because 7 years is not stability ? He's been the GM for 40% of the franchise's history ? which other GM can say that ?and we have been stable, steadily mediocre, the whole point is we dont want to be that anymore.
                    Have we been stable? Has the core ever stayed the same for 2 consecutive years? Only in the transition from Triano to Casey where there was the lockout as well.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Have we been stable? Has the core ever stayed the same for 2 consecutive years? Only in the transition from Triano to Casey where there was the lockout as well.
                      And who chooses the core ? the same guy that's been there for 7 years, so if you keep him for another 7 what do you think we're gonna get, the same thing, steadily mediocre, if they pick up his option but dont extend him, what do you think is gonna happen between july 1st and the trade deadline ?

Comment

It's tough to want him fired, because my gut tells me no GM with half a brain takes that job this offseason.

That said, if ownership is willing to only fire him (as in, retain the rest of the management structure), and then put Stefanski at the top even in the interim for a year or two until it's more attractive to look for a new guy, I'd be ok with that.

As much as I don't think BC has any clue what he's doing building a team...He makes moves all the time because he builds a team with no real strategy....I do think he has improved the general makeup of the organization. I don't want all that to fall apart just because they want to fire him.
                        Yeah, I like that: give Stefanski the reigns now, but I'd give him the directive of letting the current core the opportunity to succeed as assembled, and if they don't look like a solid playoff team by mid-season, then blow up the roster, move guys for expirings and picks/prospects, and aim for a high draft pick. This team should either be in the playoffs next (and not just sneaking in but a solid six seed or better), or a team drafting in the top 8. Barely missing or barely making the playoffs are the unacceptable outcomes.

Comment

And who chooses the core ? the same guy that's been there for 7 years, so if you keep him for another 7 what do you think we're gonna get, the same thing, steadily mediocre, if they pick up his option but dont extend him, what do you think is gonna happen between july 1st and the trade deadline ?
                          I just meant that stability starts with the roster. If a GM can't put together a roster he thinks can compete for more than one season, he shouldn't be a GM. BC has never stuck to any plan or core of players...except Bargnani, who he has defended and stuck with for far too long. Sigh...what a travesty of a situation....

Comment

When have we been mediocre? We've missed the playoffs for 5 straight years....we're a a lottery team under collangelo OR a first round exit......we dont wanna suck anymore! Mediocre is a step up from where we are IMO!

Comment

I just meant that stability starts with the roster. If a GM can't put together a roster he thinks can compete for more than one season, he shouldn't be a GM. BC has never stuck to any plan or core of players...except Bargnani, who he has defended and stuck with for far too long. Sigh...what a travesty of a situation....
                              I get what you're saying and agree but the author is campaining for stability in the office and coaching staff. I was pointing out we've had stability in the office we just cant have it anywhere else because he'll blame everyone else. its 2013 and its still Chris Bosh's Fault we're struggling. He never stopped to think that having a roster that relyied on one player was probably why he left in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X