Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeRoZan is top 10 in opp. PER

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DeRoZan is top 10 in opp. PER

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, this means Jamal Crawford needs to be dpoy!

3. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But is DeRozan tasked with guarding the other teams best perimeter players? I don't think so.

Last year he was 12.8 which is also impressive but he was hardly a defensive ace.

But hey, maybe I am clouded by preconceived notions and he is actually much better than I notice/remember/give credit for.... I think that is always a possibility.

I guess this means he is better than Sefolosha (13.5) and LBJ (13.8)..... ummmmm.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Apr 21st, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kid can't catch a break on this forum.

6. Like Mediumcore, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

He's definitely better than this forum gives him credit for, but he's certainly not a top 10 defender in the league.

And for those cherry picking names from the list, there are also some great defensive players in there such as Paul George, Tony Allen, and Andre Igoudala.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't like a lot of advanced stats for D. I mean, this list is pretty funny. Opp PER clearly tells you differnt things about different players. Also notice how no big men are in the top, despite the fact that big men generally have a much bigger defensive impact than almost any wing. But big men also face more efficient players.

I prefer to just go by basic stats combined with what I see. DeMar is an average defender. He doesn't often have a big impact on that side of the floor. He's ok at containing his man on the ball, but not a lockdown defender...still not good at chasing his man around screens...and ok but inconsistent as a team defender. Some nights he ball watches and is slow to rotate, some nights he's on top of it. Still, he's much better than when he came into the league.

9. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He ranks about 87th on the simple rating. No arguing with the one aspect of his rating, but overall, he ranks 87th. I noticed at least Johnson (1st Raptor) and Lowry (2nd Raptor) ranking ahead of him.

I think he's an okay defender but this forum rips him apart cause he isn't tony allen or avery bradley. Not as bad as this forum says but nowhere near as good as his placement on the list indicates.
    Last edited by [email protected]; Sun Apr 21st, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

not to be a dick but people here like to point to bargs' opp. per when talking about his defensive unprowess and he never guards the the eh opposition best player either. I take this stat as a positive and won't try and take it away from demar. he gets blasted for his defense and this shows that at least one aspect of his defense isn't bad.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Slow clap... it's a solid ranking to silence some of the hate...BUT doesn't take his "warts" into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a perfect example of why I find stats flawed.

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify. DeRozan in my view, is an average to good defender and sticks to the team concepts. But the fact that Jamal Crawford is on top shows the flaw in the system

16. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    This is a perfect example of why I find stats flawed.
    In the words of charles Barkley "Stats dont mean a thing"

18. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can just brush it off as a bad stat. A lot of the guys at the top are widely considered to be very good man defenders at their positions. Doesn't mean he's a top ten defender in the league or anything like that, but I don't see how you can just ignore a stat because it doesn't agree with your preconceived notions. He's improving and this helps show it.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

20. Like TRX liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just in case anyone was wondering, the average PER of NBA players guarded by me is 0.0.

True story.
    your pal,
    ebrian

22. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar is a good player and has earned every cent he makes. His defence is not too bad either. He can be the starting SG on almost any team in the NBA. His value is very good and Raps. will be wise in trading him for a good player.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Kid can't catch a break on this forum.
    Trust me, bruv. It's one of the reasons I seldomly come on here. There's nothing but negativity for our players, even when they do good and/or surpass expectations. Facts vs. uneducated guesses is the everyday, here. We always seem to "know more than people who live/sleep/employed by the team". Grain of salt, and keep it moving, is all I do. No matter what we say, DD has gotten better. Like the saying goes: "Numbers don't lie, people do".

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    In the words of charles Barkley "Stats dont mean a thing"
    Charles Barkley is a dumbass....

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GameBreaker wrote: View Post
    Trust me, bruv. It's one of the reasons I seldomly come on here. There's nothing but negativity for our players, even when they do good and/or surpass expectations. Facts vs. uneducated guesses is the everyday, here. We always seem to "know more than people who live/sleep/employed by the team". Grain of salt, and keep it moving, is all I do. No matter what we say, DD has gotten better. Like the saying goes: "Numbers don't lie, people do".
    And that's one of the reasons I don't come here - the rose-coloured glasses view of the Raptors, where JV is a future Dwight Howard (really, I've seen it here) and every Raptor is a future all-star.

The Raptors aren't good in large part because the players aren't good enough. That isn't their fault, but it's also no reason to stop being objective.

DD is better. He's a gym rat who works hard plus he's getting more calls these days. But his limitations are the same as they were in his rookie year and his ceiling is obvious.

27. Like TRX liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GameBreaker wrote: View Post
    Quote Copywryter wrote: View Post
    And that's one of the reasons I don't come here - the rose-coloured glasses view of the Raptors, where JV is a future Dwight Howard (really, I've seen it here) and every Raptor is a future all-star.

The Raptors aren't good in large part because the players aren't good enough. That isn't their fault, but it's also no reason to stop being objective.

DD is better. He's a gym rat who works hard plus he's getting more calls these days. But his limitations are the same as they were in his rookie year and his ceiling is obvious.
    One complains about the negativity, the other about players being way overrated. You both give those as reasons (maybe among others) why you don't come here (often). It's similar to some posters talking about "everybody" says this or that... It's bollocks, there is no consensus opinion (save maybe partly on Bargnani).

There is a lot of diversity on here. About almost any player you can find very diverse opinions. You can be annoyed by people claiming (book it!) that DeRozan will be an allstar; you can be annoyed by people saying DeRozan is one of the worst defenders in the league. You can all find it here. Most of the time, the consensus on the forum is that, whatever opinion you hold, you have to be able to back up your opinion with some form of argumentation. That makes this a good forum. I, at least, think it's very hard to find a better one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information