X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRoZan is top 10 in opp. PER

http://www.82games.com/1213/ROLRTG3.HTM

Verry impressive

Well, this means Jamal Crawford needs to be dpoy!

Comment

But is DeRozan tasked with guarding the other teams best perimeter players? I don't think so.

Last year he was 12.8 which is also impressive but he was hardly a defensive ace.

But hey, maybe I am clouded by preconceived notions and he is actually much better than I notice/remember/give credit for.... I think that is always a possibility.

I guess this means he is better than Sefolosha (13.5) and LBJ (13.8)..... ummmmm.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Apr 21, 2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Kid can't catch a break on this forum.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

He's definitely better than this forum gives him credit for, but he's certainly not a top 10 defender in the league.

And for those cherry picking names from the list, there are also some great defensive players in there such as Paul George, Tony Allen, and Andre Igoudala.

Comment

I just don't like a lot of advanced stats for D. I mean, this list is pretty funny. Opp PER clearly tells you differnt things about different players. Also notice how no big men are in the top, despite the fact that big men generally have a much bigger defensive impact than almost any wing. But big men also face more efficient players.

I prefer to just go by basic stats combined with what I see. DeMar is an average defender. He doesn't often have a big impact on that side of the floor. He's ok at containing his man on the ball, but not a lockdown defender...still not good at chasing his man around screens...and ok but inconsistent as a team defender. Some nights he ball watches and is slow to rotate, some nights he's on top of it. Still, he's much better than when he came into the league.

Comment

He ranks about 87th on the simple rating. No arguing with the one aspect of his rating, but overall, he ranks 87th. I noticed at least Johnson (1st Raptor) and Lowry (2nd Raptor) ranking ahead of him.

Comment

I think he's an okay defender but this forum rips him apart cause he isn't tony allen or avery bradley. Not as bad as this forum says but nowhere near as good as his placement on the list indicates.
                Last edited by qb5PHILA@hotmail.com; Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

not to be a dick but people here like to point to bargs' opp. per when talking about his defensive unprowess and he never guards the the eh opposition best player either. I take this stat as a positive and won't try and take it away from demar. he gets blasted for his defense and this shows that at least one aspect of his defense isn't bad.

Comment

Slow clap... it's a solid ranking to silence some of the hate...BUT doesn't take his "warts" into consideration.

Comment

This is a perfect example of why I find stats flawed.
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

To clarify. DeRozan in my view, is an average to good defender and sticks to the team concepts. But the fact that Jamal Crawford is on top shows the flaw in the system
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          This is a perfect example of why I find stats flawed.
                          In the words of charles Barkley "Stats dont mean a thing"

Comment

I don't think you can just brush it off as a bad stat. A lot of the guys at the top are widely considered to be very good man defenders at their positions. Doesn't mean he's a top ten defender in the league or anything like that, but I don't see how you can just ignore a stat because it doesn't agree with your preconceived notions. He's improving and this helps show it.
                            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Just in case anyone was wondering, the average PER of NBA players guarded by me is 0.0.

True story.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Working...
                              X