View Poll Results: Do you want AA back on the Raptors roster next season?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 30.30%
  • No

23 69.70%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HoopsRumors.com: Free Agent Stock Watch - Alan Anderson

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HoopsRumors.com: Free Agent Stock Watch - Alan Anderson

For some four-year veterans poised to hit the free agent market this summer, such as Brandon Jennings or Tyreke Evans, it will be their first opporunity to go through the process. That's not the case for four-year players across the board though. For Alan Anderson, who debuted back in 2005 with the Bobcats and is currently finishing up the fourth season of his NBA career, free agency is all too familiar.

"I've been playing on one-year [contracts] since Charlotte," Anderson told Hoops Rumors on Saturday. "One year, one year, one year. I've been a free agent every year."

Anderson's playing career has included stops in Italy, Russia, Israel, and Spain, but he received his first chance at consistent, full-season NBA minutes this season in Toronto, after the Raptors signed him to a one-year, minimum-salary deal last summer. The 30-year-old has taken advantage of the opportunity by having his best year yet, averaging 10.7 PPG and a 12.5 PER, both career-highs, in 63 contests with the Raps.

Coming off his most successful season to date, Anderson will be revisiting that familiar free agent process this July, but he should find he has a little more leverage than usual this time around. His production may not necessarily earn him a multiyear contract, or a salary worth a whole lot more than the minimum, but there should be no shortage of teams looking for scorers off the bench. Anderson has exhibited the ability to score baskets in bunches, as he did last month when he scored 35 against the Knicks, and can shoot the three (.352 career 3PT%), which should ensure he draws interest.

With the Raptors focusing on finishing the regular season on a winning streak, Anderson told Hoops Rumors than he hasn't started thinking too much about his pending free agency. However, when he does begin weighing his options, Anderson will be looking for a situation where playing time will be available.

"Whoever has a need for me," Anderson said. "I want to go somewhere and play. I don't want to sit on the bench."

The Raptors could be facing something of a salary-cap crunch this offseason, with about $73MM in commitments on their books for 2013/14. They have the amnesty clause available, and it's widely expected that they'll try to move Andrea Bargnani to cut costs, but the team could still end up in the tax. Of course, that shouldn't necessarily preclude the Raptors from bringing back Anderson -- the club will have to fill out its roster somehow. It may limit the team's ability to offer Anderson much of a raise, however.

Assuming the Raptors have the interest and the flexibility to bring Anderson back, returning to Toronto would be the veteran forward's preference, after spending the last season and a half with the franchise.

"They're the ones that gave me my second chance back in the NBA," Anderson said of the Raptors, who signed him to a 10-day contract in 2011/12 after he'd been out of the league since '06/07. "So yeah, I would definitely want to come back."

Whether or not Anderson will be wearing a Raptors uniform next season remains to be seen, but Anderson and agent Mark Bartelstein should be looking forward to this summer. After spending years looking for NBA teams to give him a chance, Anderson may very well receive interest from multiple suitors this July.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/04/f...-anderson.html
    Do you want AA back on the Raptors roster next season?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would want him back if we were San Antonio. We are Raptors, so no, because coach will not be able to use him properly and he will be the same chucker as we are used to see him.
    #FREE

3. Like Letter N, white men can't jump liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah absolutely, as long as he's playing behind Ross. I don't see why you wouldn't want a guy whom has such a wide skill set and is so inexpensive. He's basically a much, much cheaper version of Kleiza....solid defender, has decent shooting range, can penetrate, can guard multiple positions, good locker guy, hungry to prove himself and isn't going to whine if he doesn't get regular rotation minutes.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Do you want AA back on the Raptors roster next season?
    3 yrs @ 5mil.

I think he earned it and deserves it. Scorer of the bench, points if you need them in a hurry, solid defender and can penetrate or shoot the three. the type of player who will not complain if given 3mins or 30mins. a long-term contract could possibly make his shooting better. why? coz he wont force shots. he wont always be worried that he'd made mistakes, not get any minutes, and not get a contract the following year. i think he's travelled too often and too long not to appreciate a long term contract. He seems like a good influence in the locker room and seems to be bringing players closer together, much like what Jose did before.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Yeah absolutely, as long as he's playing behind Ross. I don't see why you wouldn't want a guy whom has such a wide skill set and is so inexpensive. He's basically a much, much cheaper version of Kleiza....solid defender, has decent shooting range, can penetrate, can guard multiple positions, good locker guy, hungry to prove himself and isn't going to whine if he doesn't get regular rotation minutes.
    holy shit. we were typing the exact same thing at the exact same time. Creepy!!!

I think of him more like a Barbosa type player, but a bit slower and more consistent.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, and we both posted at about the same time...

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, stop now

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am assuming Casey is back. If Casey is back, no to AA.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

10. Like ReubenJRD, TRX, ceez liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I am assuming Casey is back. If Casey is back, no to AA.
    Agreed. I voted 'no' because I don't trust Casey.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

12. Like TRX liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted no because AA says he wants minutes and wont sit on the bench. The Raps need veterans who can produce, but are willing to cede the minutes and be good practice bodies and role models. I wasn't in the hate AA camp that sprouted up this season, but I can see him becoming a head-ache if he gets stuck behind T Ross.

14. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I said yes. He is a decent three point shooter and should be cheap. He need to be reigned in a bit, but we are in pretty derperate need of a guy who can hit corner threes. He could be that guy for us.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted no, I like AA the person his story and I respect what he does. He just doesnt fit the system, hes a player that thinks hes a lot better than he is which is awful for a team that is developing an identity. If we kept him Id want him to play in case of injury and ride the pine otherwise or insert him into a spot up shooter role comes in and takes 3s and thats it, hes streaky but he can hit them.

The bench should be going into next season

? unknown vet or rookie guard
    Ross
    Fields
    Acy
    Johnson...

that should be able to hold down the fort and not wet the bed losing leads like the bench did the 2nd half of this season...

17. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess the real problem with Anderson isn't so much Anderson as it is Casey. If Casey is still here, then Anderson will average 23+ minutes per game, and anything above 15 is idiotic.

Therefore the answer is no, no we should not re-sign Alan Anderson.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta go with the no to AA because Casey doesn't seem to use him correctly. Like him and happy he got his second chance.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted yes. Wouldn't mind seeing his role slightly reduced, but theres no denying he kept us in more than a couple games (perhaps he also shot us out of a few games as well though ...)
    But to be honest, I'm not sure there is anyone on this team that brings more people together. Alan Anderson is our "Glue Guy". You watch him interact with guys and you just see it .. everyone on the club respects him; he's got everyones ear if hes wants it.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted no. With Gay, DeRozan, Ross and Fields on the roster, I see no reason why a selfish journeyman should get any minutes. He's old, but I don't think that automatically qualifies him as a "veteran".

Barring any trades, I would much prefer AA's minutes go to Ross & Fields.

I would like to see some vets added to the roster, but preferably true NBA vets who have been battle-hardened with NBA playoff experience & success. AA is NOT an NBA veteran, despite the fact that DC seemed to rely on him as such.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AA should not be getting a lot of minutes. If AA was not resigned, and as long as Casey is coaching the team, then there will always be an "AA" on the roster.. if not him then some other veteran that shouldn't be getting as many minutes as they do, but does. That's Casey's MO. If he has an aging veteran on the team he will give him minutes.

If AA is not the right veteran free agent then who is (assuming it would have to be a minimum contract, and would want to come here)?

AA is respected in the locker room.. so might as well.

If we can get a guy for $1M a year and knows his role but can still shoot 3's then giddyup, but beggars can't be choosers either.

So I would say 'yes', but only if there is absolutely no one else available.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would feel really bad if nobody in the NBA gives him a job if we dont resign him. Part of him being "bad" is the PG he played with (Lucas) and the circumstances he IS the Raps current 6th man so he is going to be taking shots some good many bad.

Thnk about it... Klieza, fields and Bargnani couldnt score at all this year Anderson had to pick up the slack.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I say resign him. He's the toughest guy we have. Nobody else on the team, except for perhaps Lowry, will get into anyone else's face. IK'm not saying he's Oak or anything like that, but he's not afraid out there! Besides, 3 at $5 million seem fair!

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i wouldn't mind. its funny how AA is probably one of the most well-rounded players on the team and yet everyone hates him. of course he probably can't improve on anything anymore, but:

a) does anyone actually drive to the net better than he does on the team? or have a better jab step?
    b) defense-wise, i think hes on par with fields
    c) 3 pointers - sadly hes one of the most consistent ones on the team
    d) getting to the charity stripe and actually making free throws. the dude is better at FT's than demar is. (DD at 83% and AA at 86%)
    e) does he chuck any less than DD/gay already does?
    Last edited by iblastoff; Mon Apr 22nd, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information