No announcement yet.

HoopsRumors.com: Free Agent Stock Watch - Alan Anderson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted no. With Gay, DeRozan, Ross and Fields on the roster, I see no reason why a selfish journeyman should get any minutes. He's old, but I don't think that automatically qualifies him as a "veteran".

Barring any trades, I would much prefer AA's minutes go to Ross & Fields.

I would like to see some vets added to the roster, but preferably true NBA vets who have been battle-hardened with NBA playoff experience & success. AA is NOT an NBA veteran, despite the fact that DC seemed to rely on him as such.

Comment

AA should not be getting a lot of minutes. If AA was not resigned, and as long as Casey is coaching the team, then there will always be an "AA" on the roster.. if not him then some other veteran that shouldn't be getting as many minutes as they do, but does. That's Casey's MO. If he has an aging veteran on the team he will give him minutes.

If AA is not the right veteran free agent then who is (assuming it would have to be a minimum contract, and would want to come here)?

AA is respected in the locker room.. so might as well.

If we can get a guy for $1M a year and knows his role but can still shoot 3's then giddyup, but beggars can't be choosers either.

So I would say 'yes', but only if there is absolutely no one else available.

Comment

I would feel really bad if nobody in the NBA gives him a job if we dont resign him. Part of him being "bad" is the PG he played with (Lucas) and the circumstances he IS the Raps current 6th man so he is going to be taking shots some good many bad.

Thnk about it... Klieza, fields and Bargnani couldnt score at all this year Anderson had to pick up the slack.

Comment

I say resign him. He's the toughest guy we have. Nobody else on the team, except for perhaps Lowry, will get into anyone else's face. IK'm not saying he's Oak or anything like that, but he's not afraid out there! Besides, 3 at $5 million seem fair!

Comment

i wouldn't mind. its funny how AA is probably one of the most well-rounded players on the team and yet everyone hates him. of course he probably can't improve on anything anymore, but:

a) does anyone actually drive to the net better than he does on the team? or have a better jab step?
            b) defense-wise, i think hes on par with fields
            c) 3 pointers - sadly hes one of the most consistent ones on the team
            d) getting to the charity stripe and actually making free throws. the dude is better at FT's than demar is. (DD at 83% and AA at 86%)
            e) does he chuck any less than DD/gay already does?
            Last edited by iblastoff; Mon Apr 22, 2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              i wouldn't mind. its funny how AA is probably one of the most well-rounded players on the team and yet everyone hates him. of course he probably can't improve on anything anymore, but:

a) does anyone actually drive to the net better than he does on the team? or have a better jab step?
              d) getting to the charity stripe and actually making free throws. the dude is better at FT's than demar is. (DD at 83% and AA at 86%)
              a - yes ,b- absolutely ; c-sadly again yes ; d - he is hitting the free throws but he doesn't get fouled as often as Demar e - he chucks more or less.

I think AA is a very good player - if he were 5+ years younger we would all be "WOW.he is this and he is that" But he ain't. We must accept him for who he is. And that is a good player,defender,shooter and a TEAM guy. Does he have a bigger role on our team - yes but he shoulnd't. As reading the posts almost everyone agrees our coach didn't use him properly. I can agree but not enterely. Before Gay came - a lot of the offense actually moved through Anderson. That is also when Lowry had to play Hero ball - in some of those games there wasn't anyone else that could score.So Anderson did. Sometimes inneficiently but if that was his assignment from our coach and the organization I think he deserves a lot of credit. He did his job whether we like it or not. If his minutes and role are down this upcoming season I would love him to stay on the team. He brings some kind of leadership and insurance.

Comment

Good guy, decent talent, wrong role. If Casey is here I don't want him here so I voted no. But, if a new head coach was here who utilized him properly...I would gladly change my vote.

Comment

I don't think the main problem is what he brings to the table skill-wise.

It's just, when he's on the floor, the offense becomes stagnant.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Halifax Raps Fan wrote: View Post
                    I say resign him. He's the toughest guy we have. Nobody else on the team, except for perhaps Lowry, will get into anyone else's face. IK'm not saying he's Oak or anything like that, but he's not afraid out there! Besides, 3 at $5 million seem fair!
                    *ahem* Quincy Acy *cough*
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I love when people call Anderson a veteran, it gives me a good laugh. The guy sure has played lots of basketball, in and around, but, he's not a veteran when thinking NBA experience. He's played on bad teams - yes, including the Raptors - and has never played in the playoffs. At 30 years old, he is still trying to prove himself, that says a lot right there.

Alan Anderson has a good skill-set, solid perimeter shooter, can play in 1-on-1 situations, good on-ball defender, locker room/chemistry guy, but to counter, he takes ill-advised shots, incredibly streaky, selfish, and with Casey, being used in a role that is not suited for him.

Comment

A) Yes, drives to the net and takes off-balanced floaters, nice. He does have a "Steve Smith defender catching" type move with his jab step.
                        B) Fair enough.
                        C) Sadly, he takes as many bad ones as he does take good ones.
                        D) Sample size now, free throw percentage is better, but give me a stat on who has attempted more free throws in the season.
                        E) He "chucks" less obviously, but "chucks" more than what he SHOULD be "chucking".

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          I voted no. With Gay, DeRozan, Ross and Fields on the roster, I see no reason why a selfish journeyman should get any minutes. He's old, but I don't think that automatically qualifies him as a "veteran".

Barring any trades, I would much prefer AA's minutes go to Ross & Fields.

I would like to see some vets added to the roster, but preferably true NBA vets who have been battle-hardened with NBA playoff experience & success. AA is NOT an NBA veteran, despite the fact that DC seemed to rely on him as such.
                          Why so much love for Fields? By all accounts they provide the same skill set on the court and frankly the only thing Fields was good for this past season was his defense which Anderson wass on par with. Anderson also was able to handle the rock which Fields doesn't do, shoot 3's which Fields didn't do was a leader on the floor and in the locker room. Imo, the perception of him being selfish is is misleading because he was required to take shots pre Rudy Gay, because there was nobody on the team willing to take the big shots or make things happen. He took far fewer shots once Gay was on board.

He out contributed Fields in a lot of ways this past season and even in previous seasons if you do a comparison of AA's numbers compared to Fields' the previous year. And to boot, he did it making $5,395,611 less.

Comment

so is the general consensus that AA is a decent player especially for the price tag, but just needs to be utilized in a smarter way? (which i agree with)

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Why so much love for Fields? By all accounts they provide the same skill set on the court and frankly the only thing Fields was good for this past season was his defense which Anderson wass on par with. Anderson also was able to handle the rock which Fields doesn't do, shoot 3's which Fields didn't do was a leader on the floor and in the locker room. Imo, the perception of him being selfish is is misleading because he was required to take shots pre Rudy Gay, because there was nobody on the team willing to take the big shots or make things happen. He took far fewer shots once Gay was on board.

He out contributed Fields in a lot of ways this past season and even in previous seasons if you do a comparison of AA's numbers compared to Fields' the previous year. And to boot, he did it making $5,395,611 less.
                              The main reason is that Fields looks to be part of this team for the long-term and is still young, whereas Anderson is not in the team's long-term plans. Since the Raptors aren't in 'win now' mode, I would much rather give minutes to the younger players who are/might be a core part of this team moving forward.

Defensively, I think Fields is better than Anderson. I felt that Anderson was a little overrated on defense and that Fields was underrated this year. Fields had some great games shutting down some of the best wings in the game and I felt he did so more consistently/effectively than Anderson (granted Anderson is definitely an above average defender).

Part of my problem with Anderson (whether or not DC deserves blame for this is debateable) is that even when he was on the court with 4 starters, he still often played like he was 'the man'. It was very frustrating in many games to watch him shoot the Raptors out of the game in the 4th, instead of deferring to Gay/DeRozan/Lowry/Johnson. I like Fields' fit with the starters much better, because he doesn't try to do too much or force his game. He is happy deferring to them and doing all the little things, like playing off the ball, facilitating ball movement (AA is often a black hole), sneaking in for rebounds, etc...

The only weakness in Fields' game this season was his shooting, which was obviously effected by his wrist injury. Even down the stretch his shot seemed to be improving and I think he will be able to overcome this deficiency next season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                The main reason is that Fields looks to be part of this team for the long-term and is still young, whereas Anderson is not in the team's long-term plans. Since the Raptors aren't in 'win now' mode, I would much rather give minutes to the younger players who are/might be a core part of this team moving forward.

Defensively, I think Fields is better than Anderson. I felt that Anderson was a little overrated on defense and that Fields was underrated this year. Fields had some great games shutting down some of the best wings in the game and I felt he did so more consistently/effectively than Anderson (granted Anderson is definitely an above average defender).

Part of my problem with Anderson (whether or not DC deserves blame for this is debateable) is that even when he was on the court with 4 starters, he still often played like he was 'the man'. It was very frustrating in many games to watch him shoot the Raptors out of the game in the 4th, instead of deferring to Gay/DeRozan/Lowry/Johnson. I like Fields' fit with the starters much better, because he doesn't try to do too much or force his game. He is happy deferring to them and doing all the little things, like playing off the ball, facilitating ball movement (AA is often a black hole), sneaking in for rebounds, etc...

The only weakness in Fields' game this season was his shooting, which was obviously effected by his wrist injury. Even down the stretch his shot seemed to be improving and I think he will be able to overcome this deficiency next season.
                                I have to disagree with some of what your are saying. I felt that they are both average to good defenders, but that AA was defending against the opposing teams best wing on a night in/out basis. Fields had a really good game against Melo in the first game against the Knicks and seemed to have built a rep based on that one game against a familiar player whose tendencies are things he is aware of. But again, I felt Anderson defended against the better players through the large sample of the season.

I also felt AA's rep as a selfish player was undeserved or over blown. For much of the season Gay wasn't on the team so if you're in with Lowry, DeRozan, Amir and JV....well there really isn't a go to guy in that line up is there? DeMar was only effective in the post against smaller guards and wasn't/isn't able to take anyone off the dribble. Only Lowry and AA were able to go one on one in an iso from top of the key and Lowry was passive after his injury early in the season. Maybe Casey does get some of the blame for such a iso based offense, or maybe it's just the personnel out there, but don't see why AA should be labeled a black hole for being the best option on offense at that time.

I felt like Fields showd a lot of holes in his game. Maybe they were all related to the wrist issue, but I don't see how your wrist could be so bad that you keep blowing lay ups, or that you can't dribble more than twice before picking up your dribble and passing it. If his wrist was that bad then he wouldn't be playing.

You make a good point about the team moving forward, but frankly for the salary difference I'd go with what Anderson gives you at a fraction of the cost. He's not that old that he can't be a role player for 4 -5 years lonnger

Comment

Working...
                                X