View Poll Results: On a scale of 1-10, how optimistic are you on next season?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll

2 6.25%

0 0%

3 9.38%

10 31.25%

6 18.75%

3 9.38%

5 15.63%

1 3.13%

1 3.13%

1 3.13%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lottery team w/ most to look forward to next season? RAPTORS says one person at SLAM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lottery team w/ most to look forward to next season? RAPTORS says one person at SLAM

Lottery Team with Most to Look Forward To:

Pete: Raptors

Toronto ended the season by beating five playoff-bound teams in a row–granted, most of their opponents were either resting starters or in cruise control–and showed a lot of promise heading into the offseason and beyond. With a team as young as the Raptors, sometimes all they need is time, especially when the talent is there. DeMar DeRozan and Rudy Gay provide an explosive 1-2 scoring punch, Amir Johnson improved by leaps and bounds this season and is a legit threat in the paint, Kyle Lowry stuffs the stat sheet when healthy, Jonas Valanciunas looked great over the final stretch of the season, Alan Anderson was a pleasant surprise and gives them scoring off the bench (if resigned), Terence Ross will only get better, and they should finally be free of Andrea Bargnani. The Raptors have put together a nice core group of athletic, high-scoring players but will have to tighten up defensively if they are to make any noise going forward. Regardless, this will be one of the more fun teams to watch next season.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...son-in-review/
    That is pretty optimistic.

What do you think?
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimism never dies.
    Well I believe the author's too optimistic, this five win streak is the only positive thing and they hold on it... Quite sad actually. This team has the potential, but it's just the potential. There's no one to use it properly in the organization atm. DC cannot do it, BC does not know what he's doing at all, players clearly cannot do it themselves as well as their jump shots won't fall all the time if they rely only on them. So some big changes has to happen, I call for BC's and DC's heads.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an 8 out of 10. If Amir and JV can play up to their abilities and improve the team D, then I think both Gay and DeRozan can do the rest. Those two should be coming out gunz blazing next season.

By the way Matt, you're on a tear as of late with these threads. Keep up the great work.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We're definitely looking better going into this season then we were going into last season. Amir had the best season of his career, our PG spot is finally locked up, and Bargs is definitely on the out. And we also have a guy named Valanciunas.

If Rudy and DeMar can coincide and play well together consistently, we have a lot to look forward too.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I do agree with the article is the last sentence. If you put aside any feelings of invested interest, and you don't care whether they win or lose -- I think this team will be, if anything, fun to watch next season.

I voted 4 and it will remain that way until Bargnani is gone.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait and see approach for me. We can spin the optimism and skepticism any way we like.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted a 6. The team will be better even with almost 0 roster changes. My vote will leap up to 8 if they get a good return for Bargnani and drop to a 5 if they package him for Eric and Aaron Williams.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors are quite young, take a look:

Kyle Lowry - 27
    Rudy Gay - 26
    Amir Johnson - 25
    Landry Fields - 24
    Demar Derozan - 23
    Terrence Ross - 22
    Quincy Acy - 22
    Jonas Valanciunas - 20

If there is any semblance of continuity going into next season (in terms of roster changes and coach), then the team will definitely be improved and most likely make the playoffs.

What is the ceiling of the above roster? That's impossible to tell, and hinges on several factors such as defense, Jonas, and Ross. But there is definitely room to grow IF Colangelo (or his replacement) stops with the "8 new players per season" mantra.

Post Thanks / Like

voted 2.

if BC and Casey are gone i'll change my vote to a 6.
    @jerboat

10. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Voted 4.

I think the end of season winning streak should be taken with a heavy grain of salt based on the competition. However I'll admit that a full training camp and some continuity should help this group a lot considering all of the moving parts over the past 12 months.

The summer will be important even though the Raps don't have many options. The Bargnani situation needs to be finally resolved - even if it's using the amnesty on him - and BC will have to turn the MLE into something useful. I think assuming that either one of these are foregone conclusions would be a mistake at this point.

As it stands now they're ceiling appears to be a 7-8 seed if everything goes right. That's not the type of situation that inspires a lot of excitement; if the stars all align we'll end up being a middle of the pack team. It really does seem like we've set ourselves up for the dreaded no man's land.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post

We're definitely looking better going into this season then we were going into last season. Amir had the best season of his career, our PG spot is finally locked up, and Bargs is definitely on the out. And we also have a guy named Valanciunas.

If Rudy and DeMar can coincide and play well together consistently, we have a lot to look forward too.
    If by locked up yo mean the starter, OK, but the PG position as a whole need to be addressed. Lucas just has to go, he is a terrible back-up PG. I love his energy and desire to do well, he just sucks at actually getting the results.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted 6, but would have preferred a "TBD" option.

Regardless of what moves are made this offseason, the Raptors have several young, talented players on the roster, which they can either build around or trade as assets.

My true vote will come just before the start of next season, after the BC/DC situations have been resolved and all rosters moves have been completed.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    If by locked up yo mean the starter, OK, but the PG position as a whole need to be addressed. Lucas just has to go, he is a terrible back-up PG. I love his energy and desire to do well, he just sucks at actually getting the results.
    Locked up in the sense that the starting spot controversy is over. This team needs stability. We need a solid backup PG, but someone that won't challenge for the starting role. Lucas is much better off as 3rd string.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was optimistic last season and I got crushed.. not going to happen this time around. Voting 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

In the context of the article (lottery team with the most to look forward to), I'd agree that the Raptors should be up near the top. But that says more about the reality of how difficult it is to go from a non-playoff team to a playoff team in the NBA. What other non-playoff team can say 'we have five guys under contract right now that can form a starting lineup for a playoff team next year'? In the case of the Raptors, it's not a slam-dunk statement, but it's not an absurd statement, either. Portland and Minnesota can only say that if they resign or replace Hickson and Pekovic, respectively. Everyone else is counting on UFA signings (Dallas), trades (Utah), or draft picks (pretty-much everyone else).

So it depends a little on your standard for success. If I had to bet, right now, on what non-playoff team this year is going to make the playoffs next year, I'd pick the Raptors over any other single team.
    If I was to bet, right now, on which non-playoff team is going to be a top-four team in their conference, three years from now, I'd take Cleveland. Because Irving is the most talented player not on a playoff team, plus some other solid young pieces (Thompson and Waiters) and over time they should have no problem attracting talent to fill out the roster.

18. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    ...I voted 4 and it will remain that way until Bargnani is gone.
    I voted 7 because I believe they WILL get something done with Bargnani. That plus the better than 50% win rate in games after the ugly 4 and 19 start.

I believe the 4 and 19 was an aberration and the other 59 games showed what the core is capable of. I expect to see a 50% win rate next year.

As for the last 5 games of the season, I think three of those games had an impact on the losing team, and were not just throw aways...but I| can't be bothered to look it up.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

10. because Im excited to see a full season of JV, Rudy and DeMar starting.. 10 because hopefully no Bargnani..

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    In the context of the article (lottery team with the most to look forward to), I'd agree that the Raptors should be up near the top. But that says more about the reality of how difficult it is to go from a non-playoff team to a playoff team in the NBA. What other non-playoff team can say 'we have five guys under contract right now that can form a starting lineup for a playoff team next year'? In the case of the Raptors, it's not a slam-dunk statement, but it's not an absurd statement, either. Portland and Minnesota can only say that if they resign or replace Hickson and Pekovic, respectively. Everyone else is counting on UFA signings (Dallas), trades (Utah), or draft picks (pretty-much everyone else).

So it depends a little on your standard for success. If I had to bet, right now, on what non-playoff team this year is going to make the playoffs next year, I'd pick the Raptors over any other single team.
    If I was to bet, right now, on which non-playoff team is going to be a top-four team in their conference, three years from now, I'd take Cleveland. Because Irving is the most talented player not on a playoff team, plus some other solid young pieces (Thompson and Waiters) and over time they should have no problem attracting talent to fill out the roster.
    This is a good point, although I bet teams like Detroit (Munroe, Drummond, Knight, Singler, this year's pick + cap space this summer as a core) think they are getting pretty close to a breakthrough as well. I think the Sixers will be back in the playoff hunt next season too, assuming that Bynum re-signs and stays relatively healthy. All in all, the playoffs are far from a given next season for Toronto.

22. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    This is a good point, although I bet teams like Detroit (Munroe, Drummond, Knight, Singler, this year's pick + cap space this summer as a core) think they are getting pretty close to a breakthrough as well. I think the Sixers will be back in the playoff hunt next season too, assuming that Bynum re-signs and stays relatively healthy. All in all, the playoffs are far from a given next season for Toronto.
    Well at least it's going to be interesting to see BC fired.
    #FREE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information