Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lottery team w/ most to look forward to next season? RAPTORS says one person at SLAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the context of the article (lottery team with the most to look forward to), I'd agree that the Raptors should be up near the top. But that says more about the reality of how difficult it is to go from a non-playoff team to a playoff team in the NBA. What other non-playoff team can say 'we have five guys under contract right now that can form a starting lineup for a playoff team next year'? In the case of the Raptors, it's not a slam-dunk statement, but it's not an absurd statement, either. Portland and Minnesota can only say that if they resign or replace Hickson and Pekovic, respectively. Everyone else is counting on UFA signings (Dallas), trades (Utah), or draft picks (pretty-much everyone else).

So it depends a little on your standard for success. If I had to bet, right now, on what non-playoff team this year is going to make the playoffs next year, I'd pick the Raptors over any other single team.
    If I was to bet, right now, on which non-playoff team is going to be a top-four team in their conference, three years from now, I'd take Cleveland. Because Irving is the most talented player not on a playoff team, plus some other solid young pieces (Thompson and Waiters) and over time they should have no problem attracting talent to fill out the roster.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      ...I voted 4 and it will remain that way until Bargnani is gone.
      I voted 7 because I believe they WILL get something done with Bargnani. That plus the better than 50% win rate in games after the ugly 4 and 19 start.

I believe the 4 and 19 was an aberration and the other 59 games showed what the core is capable of. I expect to see a 50% win rate next year.

As for the last 5 games of the season, I think three of those games had an impact on the losing team, and were not just throw aways...but I| can't be bothered to look it up.

Comment

10. because Im excited to see a full season of JV, Rudy and DeMar starting.. 10 because hopefully no Bargnani..

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
          In the context of the article (lottery team with the most to look forward to), I'd agree that the Raptors should be up near the top. But that says more about the reality of how difficult it is to go from a non-playoff team to a playoff team in the NBA. What other non-playoff team can say 'we have five guys under contract right now that can form a starting lineup for a playoff team next year'? In the case of the Raptors, it's not a slam-dunk statement, but it's not an absurd statement, either. Portland and Minnesota can only say that if they resign or replace Hickson and Pekovic, respectively. Everyone else is counting on UFA signings (Dallas), trades (Utah), or draft picks (pretty-much everyone else).

So it depends a little on your standard for success. If I had to bet, right now, on what non-playoff team this year is going to make the playoffs next year, I'd pick the Raptors over any other single team.
          If I was to bet, right now, on which non-playoff team is going to be a top-four team in their conference, three years from now, I'd take Cleveland. Because Irving is the most talented player not on a playoff team, plus some other solid young pieces (Thompson and Waiters) and over time they should have no problem attracting talent to fill out the roster.
          This is a good point, although I bet teams like Detroit (Munroe, Drummond, Knight, Singler, this year's pick + cap space this summer as a core) think they are getting pretty close to a breakthrough as well. I think the Sixers will be back in the playoff hunt next season too, assuming that Bynum re-signs and stays relatively healthy. All in all, the playoffs are far from a given next season for Toronto.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            This is a good point, although I bet teams like Detroit (Munroe, Drummond, Knight, Singler, this year's pick + cap space this summer as a core) think they are getting pretty close to a breakthrough as well. I think the Sixers will be back in the playoff hunt next season too, assuming that Bynum re-signs and stays relatively healthy. All in all, the playoffs are far from a given next season for Toronto.
            Well at least it's going to be interesting to see BC fired.
            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

i assume being optimistic means hitting the 8th seed? if so, then 7/10 for me. but i'm always overly optimistic.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                Well at least it's going to be interesting to see BC fired.
                That's it, exactly. Until the GM picture is clear it's hard to predict. If Colangelo gets the 1 year extension (again) he'll be under the gun to at least make the playoffs (this past season's goal you may recall). A new GM may go into rebuild mode and longer range goals ultimately putting his own stamp on the roster.

Comment

Masai ujiri!!!
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                  X