Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79

Thread: My Off-Season Targets

  1. #1
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My Off-Season Targets

    1.) Shawn Marion 3/4

    Contract Status: 2013/2014 Early Termination Option

    How we get him? If his ETO is excercised we offer him the full MLE
    If not a trade that involves anyone but Lowry/DeRozan/Gay/Johnson/Valanciunas would be palatable to me

    Why do I want him? Solid defender, veteran presence, excellent rebounder, high basketball IQ adds a dimension to
    playing small ball 4

    2.) Luis Scola 4/5

    Contract Status: $4,148,510 -$4,508,504-$4,868,499

    How we get him? Phoenix has recently fired their GM and in a rebuilding mode a young player like Terrence Ross could probably get this done.

    Why do I want him? He is an extremely crafty cost effective 4, with low post savvy and effective range he would be a much cheaper option over someone like Boozer or Gasol.

    3.) Chauncey Billups 1/2

    Contact Status: Free Agent

    How we get him? Mid Level or Mini Mid Level for two years could get this done. The exception to my knowledge (I'm still reading that novel of Larry Coons) depends on our cap situation before July 1st. He already has his ring so a competitive situation with available playing time would be ideal for him. The Clippers focus is going to turn to Bledsoe anyway.

    Why do I want him? I'm done with PG battles. Lowry needs to know he is the man. Casey needs to know if his man goes down there is a solid piece in place to aid the Raps in not losing a step. If Lowry stays healthy we got our 6th man who can play 12 - 14 minutes at PG and 8 - 10 at SG.

    4.) Anderson Verajao 4/5

    How we get him? The Cavs are not as far along the rebuilding path as Toronto is. Shedding salary and offering up Acy along with an expiring contract or two would allow for some tinkering.

    Why do I want him? can you imagine the energy, intensity, rebounding, shot blocking, hustle of an Amir, Anderson, Jonas big rotation? Again he would add playoff experience, and another veteran presence.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,934
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They need a knockdown 3pt shooter, a veteran big and a backup PG.

    I'd love to have one of Korver, Redick, or Dunleavy. Getting one of those guys would solve our 3pt shooting needs. As for that veteran big, ELTON BRAND should be their #1 target. And as for the backup PG? no idea but i would love to have Luke Ridnour here or trade for a mid/late 1st round pick and select Myck Kabongo or Shane Larkin.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hehe, remember the first time the Raps tried to get Marion?
    +1 for a knockdown 3 guy, even better if they play D

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A stable backup point guard who has the size to guard the 1 and 2 guard positions, and a solid post player.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Given the lack of financial flexibility, if Andrea is somehow converted into Luke Ridnour and Derrick Williams, I'm a happy camper.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My big man targets in a Bargnani-centred deal, leaving out Boozer and Gasol....
    1-Ersan Ilyasova (pipe dream)
    2-Luis Scola
    3-Carl Landry (may be available in free agency)

    My PG targets in a Bargs deal:
    1- Ridnour
    2- Sessions

    Free agent targets - bigs:
    1 - Brand (top choice assuming Bargs is traded for one of 3 listed above)
    2 - Blatche
    3 - Earl Clark
    4 - Pachulia
    5 - Jamison

    Blatche and Clark would be targets if they miss out on a PF in a Bargs trade. Brand main target if they don't. Pachulia is a good target as a backup C. And Jamison is a good stretch 4 who can play backup PF if they get someone like Gasol who can play C.

    Free agent targets - PG:
    -CJ Watson
    -Shaun Livingston
    -Prigioni (not as main backup, but as a 3rd PG if Lucas is gone)

    Some ok options at PG, but surprisingly not very good veteran options, unless Jose is brought back (which I only mention because he's actually probably the best veteran PG on the market)...Maybe Earl Watson, but I never liked him that much, and I think he's pretty done.

    Free agent targets - wings (assuming top 4 next year are Ross, Fields, DeMar and Rudy):
    -Marquis Daniels
    -Keith Bogans
    -Roger Mason Jr.
    -Chase Budinger

    Notice these are unspectacular names....the guys I would go after the most would only make sense if one of the current top 4 is traded, and those are guys like Dorrell Wrighte, the Brewers, Belinelli, Foye (especially if the new backup PG lacks playmaking skills)....
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 23rd, 2013 at 08:12 AM.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    CJ Watson would be so sick!

    As for Varejo awesome player real nose for the ball, but has a huge contract and gets hit with the injury stick very frequently. I would trade Bargnani for Ridnour and Williams obviously, dont get it twisted though Derrick Williams really....kinda sucks...

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Scola, Brand, or Landry all would be great additions (although I wouldn't do Scola for Ross as outlined above).

    I'd also like to see Jose back, although I recognize the potential problems. If Lowry comes into training camp healthy he should be able to establish himself as the alpha dog. I guess part of me hopes that Jose wants to be part of Toronto getting into the playoffs again and would be willing to take a secondary role as opposed to being the starter for a couple years on a bad team like Detroit.

    We do need 3 point shooting but I would be shocked if Ross, DeRozan, Gay and Fields don't ALL come back with improved 3 point shots next year. Dunleavy might be a nice addition - high IQ guy, veteran presence and he can shoot it.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chris Mullin and Phil Jackson.

  10. Like Letter N liked this post
  11. #10
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My ideal offseason would include the following moves:

    1. Anderson, Pietrus and Telfair leave as free agents
    2. Kleiza leaves via amnesty
    3. Gray (player) and Lucas (team) return via options
    4. Bargnani traded to Minnesota for Williams & Ridnour
    5. DeRozan traded to Utah for Millsap (S&T)
    6. Dunleavy signed as free agent for some/all of the MLE

    STARTERS
    C: Valanciunas
    PF: Millsap
    SF: Gay
    SG: Fields
    PG: Lowry

    PRIMARY 2ND UNIT
    C: Johnson
    PF: Williams
    SF: Dunleavy
    SG: Ross
    PG: Ridnour

    BENCH
    C: Gray (will play instead of Williams, depending on matchups)
    PF: Acy
    PG: Lucas


    -----


    If BC was being honest about the team only making tweaks, rather than any major moves, then these are the moves I'd like to be made:

    1. Anderson, Pietrus and Telfair leave as free agents
    2. Kleiza leaves via amnesty
    3. Gray (player) and Lucas (team) return via options
    4. Bargnani traded to Minnesota for Williams & Ridnour
    5. MLE used to sign a veteran backup PF
    6. veteran 5th wing signed to minimum contract

    STARTERS
    C: Valanciunas
    PF: Johnson
    SF: Gay
    SG: DeRozan
    PG: Lowry

    PRIMARY 2ND UNIT
    C: Veteran PF
    PF: Williams
    SF: Fields
    SG: Ross
    PG: Ridnour

    BENCH
    C: Gray (will play instead of Williams, depending on matchups)
    PF: Acy
    SF/SG: Veteran Wing
    PG: Lucas

  12. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree Luis Scola may be a reasonable target if the Raptors are willing to trade some of their young prospects.

    If the Raptors offer nothing more than the mid level exception, I don't see them landing Chauncy Billups. Billups is still an effective backup and he will have his choice of teams if he's just looking for a mid level exception type contract.

    The Cavaliers do not need to shed salary. They are targeting the free agent class of 2014 and will be able to offer at least one max contract. Acy (a fringe NBA player at best) and expiring contracts won't come anywhere close to landing Andy. I also disagree with you that the Cavs are not as far along as the Raptors in respect to rebuilding. I believe the Cavaliers will be very competitive in 2014-2015.

  13. #12
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Areas of need: backup PG and PF

    My off season targets:

    1) Get anything of value for Bargnani. Beggars can't be choosers. I don't see MIN being a realistic option because Bargnani is an expensive duplication of Love minus the rebounding. I also don't see why Minnesota gives up valuable assets for AB when he has another year of salary at $12M when you count trade kicker.

    Possible Bargnani trades:

    Lakers/Gasol - Raps need to send out $15.35M in salary, Bargnani is $11.28. You are not getting Gasol without another $4M in salary.

    Bulls/Boozer - Possibility exists to trade 1-for-1 or do AB/JL3

    Nets/Humphries - Best case scenario he returns to his double double ways. Worst case scenario he takes $12M off cap next season giving Raps about $8M plus whatever cap rises in space for 2014-15. (Actually Brooklyn is the team who should try Williams/Ridnour or Barea for Hump).

    Cats/Ben Gordon - see Humphries but not an area of need.

    76ers/Hawes - rumoured around deadline. Expiring contract. Philly has cap space for one for one. Maybe include Dorrell Wright in sign and trade?

    GSW/Jefferson-Biedrins - see Humphries.
    One of Jefferson or Biedrins plus Jarrett Jack in sign and trade.

    SAC/Chuck Hayes-Jimmer or Jimmer-Salmons - unlikely as both add salary for Kings.

    2) PG - Jack, Nate Robinson

    3) PF - Brandan Wright, Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts


    Ideally you address one of PG or PF with the Bargnani trade and use the MLE for the other.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  14. #13
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Ideally you address one of PG or PF with the Bargnani trade and use the MLE for the other.
    I wish I could bold your bold on this

  15. #14
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Areas of need: backup PG and PF

    My off season targets:

    1) Get anything of value for Bargnani. Beggars can't be choosers. I don't see MIN being a realistic option because Bargnani is an expensive duplication of Love minus the rebounding. I also don't see why Minnesota gives up valuable assets for AB when he has another year of salary at $12M when you count trade kicker.

    Possible Bargnani trades:

    Lakers/Gasol - Raps need to send out $15.35M in salary, Bargnani is $11.28. You are not getting Gasol without another $4M in salary.
    [/B]
    One of the reasons I thought a Bargnani-to-Minnesota trade could be possible is if Minny were able to then work out a deal to flip Bargnani to LA for Gasol. I don't see Toronto being able to work out a deal for Gasol, unless LA wanted Kleiza or Fields (doubtful). However, Minny could include Roy and draft pick(s), which would effectively be a salary dump for LA if Roy decides to retire.


    Regardless of the methods of acquiring each player (ie: Bargnani trade, MLE, min wage veteran free agent) and regardless of the specific player acquired, there seems to be quite a bit of consensus about what the Raptors need to add:

    #1 - backup PG, ideallly a pass-first type to facilitate 2nd unit offense

    #2 - PF, either to supplant Johnson as the starter or to backup Johnson

    #3 - 5th wing who can defend and shoot the 3, but who knows his role (ie: not AA)

    * ideally some/all of these players would bring a grizzled veteran presence, to help mentor the Raptors' young core

  16. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Areas of need: backup PG and PF

    My off season targets:

    1) Get anything of value for Bargnani. Beggars can't be choosers. I don't see MIN being a realistic option because Bargnani is an expensive duplication of Love minus the rebounding. I also don't see why Minnesota gives up valuable assets for AB when he has another year of salary at $12M when you count trade kicker.

    Possible Bargnani trades:

    Lakers/Gasol - Raps need to send out $15.35M in salary, Bargnani is $11.28. You are not getting Gasol without another $4M in salary.

    Bulls/Boozer - Possibility exists to trade 1-for-1 or do AB/JL3

    Nets/Humphries - Best case scenario he returns to his double double ways. Worst case scenario he takes $12M off cap next season giving Raps about $8M plus whatever cap rises in space for 2014-15. (Actually Brooklyn is the team who should try Williams/Ridnour or Barea for Hump).

    Cats/Ben Gordon - see Humphries but not an area of need.

    76ers/Hawes - rumoured around deadline. Expiring contract. Philly has cap space for one for one. Maybe include Dorrell Wright in sign and trade?

    GSW/Jefferson-Biedrins - see Humphries.
    One of Jefferson or Biedrins plus Jarrett Jack in sign and trade.

    SAC/Chuck Hayes-Jimmer or Jimmer-Salmons - unlikely as both add salary for Kings.

    2) PG - Jack, Nate Robinson

    3) PF - Brandan Wright, Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts


    Ideally you address one of PG or PF with the Bargnani trade and use the MLE for the other.
    I thought our needs were backup PG and knockdown 3pt shooter. Gordon fits the bill for both of those. Shoots 40% from 3pt land and can definitely play backup PG as well as some SG. Can't defend worth a lick but he's a mega upgrade over Lucas and it fits the whole Bargs traded for one of our needs approach. Then we can use the MLE on a PF. I'm not crazy about Gordon but the whole not an area of need thing doesn't make sense.

    Also, forget about Hump. There is zero market for that guy and it's because he's garbage. His bread and butter is supposed to be rebounding and he lost his starting gig to a guy who literally only rebounds and does nothing else. Hump = poor mans reggie Evans.

  17. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I thought our needs were backup PG and knockdown 3pt shooter. Gordon fits the bill for both of those. Shoots 40% from 3pt land and can definitely play backup PG as well as some SG. Can't defend worth a lick but he's a mega upgrade over Lucas and it fits the whole Bargs traded for one of our needs approach. Then we can use the MLE on a PF. I'm not crazy about Gordon but the whole not an area of need thing doesn't make sense.

    Also, forget about Hump. There is zero market for that guy and it's because he's garbage. His bread and butter is supposed to be rebounding and he lost his starting gig to a guy who literally only rebounds and does nothing else. Hump = poor mans reggie Evans.
    I don't think Gordon is a PG.... but that is just me. Also, he is a ball stopper, black hole who I really lost a lot of respect for after reading this.

    I would look at Hump as a better option than Bargnani. At the very least he takes $11.5M (Bargnani's salary) off the books next season.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  18. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think Gordon is a PG.... but that is just me. Also, he is a ball stopper, black hole who I really lost a lot of respect for after reading this.

    I would look at Hump as a better option than Bargnani. At the very least he takes $11.5M (Bargnani's salary) off the books next season.
    I wouldn't read too much into the Gordon situation in Charlotte. Can you imagine how fucking miserable he must be playing for that joke of team. At least the Raps are trying to get better. Charlotte keeps following the Tim W. plan to success. Sucks ass every year and cross your fingers there is a Lebron in that draft. The guy went from winning a national title in college (as a PG mind you), the playing for the consistently worst team in basketball. If the Raps were as bad as Charlotte I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that one of our guys did something similar in practice. It's not right, but NBA players aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed, and a big part of being coach is managing all those egos.

  19. #18
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    One of the reasons I thought a Bargnani-to-Minnesota trade could be possible is if Minny were able to then work out a deal to flip Bargnani to LA for Gasol. I don't see Toronto being able to work out a deal for Gasol, unless LA wanted Kleiza or Fields (doubtful). However, Minny could include Roy and draft pick(s), which would effectively be a salary dump for LA if Roy decides to retire.


    Regardless of the methods of acquiring each player (ie: Bargnani trade, MLE, min wage veteran free agent) and regardless of the specific player acquired, there seems to be quite a bit of consensus about what the Raptors need to add:

    #1 - backup PG, ideallly a pass-first type to facilitate 2nd unit offense

    #2 - PF, either to supplant Johnson as the starter or to backup Johnson

    #3 - 5th wing who can defend and shoot the 3, but who knows his role (ie: not AA)

    * ideally some/all of these players would bring a grizzled veteran presence, to help mentor the Raptors' young core
    That might work but a three team deal is likely to be more likely. Something like this.

    Also, I think the CBA becomes an issue with trading Bargnani immediately. He cannot be packaged with someone else?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  20. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That might work but a three team deal is likely to be more likely. Something like this.

    Also, I think the CBA becomes an issue with trading Bargnani immediately. He cannot be packaged with someone else?
    With Kobe out for part/most/all of next season, I don't see LA dealing Gasol, especially for Bargs and Brandon Roy. They're trying to keep Howard remember. I guess if Howard leaves and Kobe is out for the year maybe they say fuck it and blow it all up, but I don't see that as very likely. Gasol is probably their best player now, they're not going to give him up for Bargs and a bag of peanuts.

  21. #20
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    With Kobe out for part/most/all of next season, I don't see LA dealing Gasol, especially for Bargs and Brandon Roy. They're trying to keep Howard remember. I guess if Howard leaves and Kobe is out for the year maybe they say fuck it and blow it all up, but I don't see that as very likely. Gasol is probably their best player now, they're not going to give him up for Bargs and a bag of peanuts.
    Who knows what happens in LA.

    I was giving an example.

    I agree with your sentiments on Gasol. However, it does not appear he and MD'A get along and the Kobe telling Pau to not listen to anyone else and go on the low block is hardly the picture of an organization free of conflict.

    If Minnesota was really desperate for Gasol, they could throw in their pick.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •