Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Off-Season Targets

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    There was a rumor on CNNSI's Fan Nation site that claims Minnesota may consider dealing Kevin Love (it came from RR's good buddy Bill Simmons): http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ade-kevin-love

If this is true, I wonder if a package of DeRozan & Bargnani & 1st round pick(s) might be enough to get Minny talking? Ridnour would seem an obvious addition, then either Williams/Roy would likely need to be included as well (for salary matching).

If Williams were included...

LINEUP
    C: Valanciunas, Gray
    PF: Love, Johnson, Acy
    SF: Gay, Williams
    SG: Fields, Ross
    PG: Lowry, Ridnour, Lucas

That would be a fantastic 9-man rotation (excluding Gray, Acy and Lucas), though I'd still like to see another veteran wing added. The primary 2nd unit could go small with Johnson, Williams, vet, Ross and Ridnour.
    I wonder what the asking price would be for Love.

Don't think Toronto would have the best package to offer and I don't think Minnesota takes back Bargnani in ANY package. DeRozan/Amir/2 firsts?

I imagine any conversation starts with Kahn saying, "We want JV." I would keep saying, "NO!" Reason why is Love is able to opt out after 2014-2015.

Which brings up an interesting fact: how much are teams going to give up to get Love knowing he can opt out in 2 seasons and the Lakers - his hometown and dream to play for - are going to be flush with cap space and possibly Dwight Howard.

I don't agree with Simmons article on offering Deng, Butler, Mirotic, Charlotte pick. Bulls then left with Boozer, Love, and Gibson taking up $36M of salary cap. Amnesty is a possibility with Boozer though. That seems like a lot for Love who may bolt in 2 years.

Anyways, I am rambling. If Raps can get Love without parting with JV, sign me up.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mostly good points (IMO) except:
    Biedrins for Bargnani -no thanks. You might argue Bargs value is poor -agreed (BUT there is at least a chance he reverts to healthy starts last year where he was close to an all star in the east). WRT Biedrins -absolutely zero value.
    As for Jack -No chance on 2 counts: 1. WE pretty much ran him out of town as being useless. 2. He is having a great/solid season & will likely be looking for a raise (a lot more than mini-mid).
    -D Harris anyone (possibly a bit of 1 & 2). Will likely seek a lot less than current salary.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. He brings a lot of energy and rebounding
    Bargnani for J Thompson & Jimmer? You never know with Kings. Heck, maybe expand above plus Ross for Evans ie Bargnani & Ross for Thompson, Jimmer & Evans (maybe we toss in a second rounder Or buy a late first).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I wonder what the asking price would be for Love.

Don't think Toronto would have the best package to offer and I don't think Minnesota takes back Bargnani in ANY package. DeRozan/Amir/2 firsts?

I imagine any conversation starts with Kahn saying, "We want JV." I would keep saying, "NO!" Reason why is Love is able to opt out after 2014-2015.

Which brings up an interesting fact: how much are teams going to give up to get Love knowing he can opt out in 2 seasons and the Lakers - his hometown and dream to play for - are going to be flush with cap space and possibly Dwight Howard.

I don't agree with Simmons article on offering Deng, Butler, Mirotic, Charlotte pick. Bulls then left with Boozer, Love, and Gibson taking up $36M of salary cap. Amnesty is a possibility with Boozer though. That seems like a lot for Love who may bolt in 2 years.

Anyways, I am rambling. If Raps can get Love without parting with JV, sign me up.
    I'd hate to part with JV, but lets be honest: At the best JV is a maybe (OK likely), while Love (when healthy) is a sure thing. I'd rather include JV than 2 first rounders. Also, I agree with you that Love can bolt in 2 years, but 2 years is a long time in NBA.
    IFF JV was all it would have taken for Harden, don't you think it made sense (especially seeing Houston in playoffs -& now with Russ out who knows)?
    While at it -above deal plus maybe S/T for their center? (OK, I am dreaming).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    I'd hate to part with JV, but lets be honest: At the best JV is a maybe (OK likely), while Love (when healthy) is a sure thing. I'd rather include JV than 2 first rounders. Also, I agree with you that Love can bolt in 2 years, but 2 years is a long time in NBA.
    IFF JV was all it would have taken for Harden, don't you think it made sense (especially seeing Houston in playoffs -& now with Russ out who knows)?
    While at it -above deal plus maybe S/T for their center? (OK, I am dreaming).
    Love and JV are a match made in heaven.

Love is a great rebounder and scorer but he is a horrible defender.

I am extremely tired right now but I can't think of a PF and C in the NBA who would compliment each other better on both ends of the floor.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Love and JV are a match made in heaven.

Love is a great rebounder and scorer but he is a horrible defender.

I am extremely tired right now but I can't think of a PF and C in the NBA who would compliment each other better on both ends of the floor.
    Dirk Nowitzki and Dwight Howard? The only one I can think of at the moment...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Dirk Nowitzki and Dwight Howard? The only one I can think of at the moment...
    3 years ago, yeah, for sure.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

3 years ago, yeah, for sure.
    Well, Love has hardly proven durable so far. Definitely the biggest issue there. They might still be better than any duo with him for the next 3 years, since he might be absent for half that time.

*I also think this injury-risk might be part of the reason Toronto would have any chance at getting him, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Love has hardly proven durable so far. Definitely the biggest issue there. They might still be better than any duo with him for the next 3 years, since he might be absent for half that time.

*I also think this injury-risk might be part of the reason Toronto would have any chance at getting him, though.
    Same knock can go against Dirk and Dwight now.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Same knock can go against Dirk and Dwight now.
    I didn't say it can't, but I also don't think you could confidently bet on Love playing more games than either of them in the next 3 years. Those 2 guys barely missed games before the last 2 years. Obviously Dirk's a much bigger question makr there, but who knows. With elite players, they often find a way to overcome physical issues of age, he just needs to believe he'll be playing for something that matters again.

*I mean, it's definitely a big concern with Love. I suppose it's a plus that he hasn't had a severe injury since coming into the league...but he's broken bones in both his hands, had a groin injury, a concussion...almost makes you worry more, because it's always something different.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Apr 27th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say it can't, but I also don't think you could confidently bet on Love playing more games than either of them in the next 3 years. Obviously Dirk's a much bigger question makr there, but who knows. With elite players, they often find a way to overcome physical issues of age, he just needs to believe he'll be playing for something that matters again.

*I mean, it's definitely a big concern with Love. I suppose it's a plus that he hasn't had a severe injury since coming into the league...but he's broken bones in both his hands, had a groin injury, a concussion...almost makes you worry more, because it's always something different.
    There is always risk.

Westbrook had never missed a game in high school, college, and 5 years of pro and then meniscus torn.

Don't forget the original point: Love and JV would be a match made in heaven on both sides of the floor. Regarding that statement I did not mean in the entire NBA at the time although assuming Love stays healthy and JV continues the growth/potential he has shown, we could be talking entire league soon enough. I was originally talking about the two players individually.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

There is always risk.

Westbrook had never missed a game in high school, college, and 5 years of pro and then meniscus torn.

Don't forget the original point: Love and JV would be a match made in heaven on both sides of the floor. Regarding that statement I did not mean in the entire NBA at the time although assuming Love stays healthy and JV continues the growth/potential he has shown, we could be talking entire league soon enough. I was originally talking about the two players individually.
    Obviously...after all, I have been saying for weeks that this kind of trade is the only thing this team should be trying to do (other than getting rid of Bargs). There is always risk. The other player I want the Raps to keep an eye on in the back of my mind is Rajon Rondo ....Does Boston look like a team ready for a quick rebuild? A couple of old stars, a decent player in Green, and then just a bunch of mostly average players. I don't think so, and think they could blow it up soon. But Rondo also has risk now, with his knee injury.

Really my only piont is that Love's injury history is worrisome, because he hasn't had a major issue but always seems to miss time. Is it bad luck or is he a glass man? Hopefully just bad luck.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Apr 27th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was watching Game 6 of OKC vs HOU, and was thinking that both Patrick Beverly and Aaron Brooks seemed to fit the Houston Rockets uptempo offense better than Jeremy Lin. Since they both come with smaller price tags I wondered if maybe a Bargnanni for Lin trade might make sense.

For the Raptors Lin would be a great back up PG for an often injured Lowry, he's pretty decent 3 point shooter, smart player, young etc...also MLSE could have a field day marketing him to the asian demographic in Toronto.

For the Rockets Barganni would be an instant upgrade on offense from Greg Smith (who?), Terrence Jones (rookie and a tweener), though Motiejunas should see more playing time he might still be a year away from being fully NBA ready but a good first big off the bench for next year. Not sure how salaries match up but for conversation sake how does this trade sound to you all?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Was watching Game 6 of OKC vs HOU, and was thinking that both Patrick Beverly and Aaron Brooks seemed to fit the Houston Rockets uptempo offense better than Jeremy Lin. Since they both come with smaller price tags I wondered if maybe a Bargnanni for Lin trade might make sense.

For the Raptors Lin would be a great back up PG for an often injured Lowry, he's pretty decent 3 point shooter, smart player, young etc...also MLSE could have a field day marketing him to the asian demographic in Toronto.

For the Rockets Barganni would be an instant upgrade on offense from Greg Smith (who?), Terrence Jones (rookie and a tweener), though Motiejunas should see more playing time he might still be a year away from being fully NBA ready but a good first big off the bench for next year. Not sure how salaries match up but for conversation sake how does this trade sound to you all?
    Lin would make a very nice backup PG...he's best friends with Landry as well.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sex is good, anyway, what am I saying so yeah

Toronto send away Bargs + Kleiza + 1st rounder
    Toronto get Jason Thompsons + Fredette + 1st rounder

Toronto draft Anthony Bennett with the Kings pick

Lowry/Fredette/PG
    DeRozan/Ross
    Gay/Bennett/Fields
    Amir/Acy
    Val/J.Thompsons/Gray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Sex is good, anyway, what am I saying so yeah

Toronto send away Bargs + Kleiza + 1st rounder
    Toronto get Jason Thompsons + Fredette + 1st rounder

Toronto draft Anthony Bennett with the Kings pick

Lowry/Fredette/PG
    DeRozan/Ross
    Gay/Bennett/Fields
    Amir/Acy
    Val/J.Thompsons/Gray
    Except Toronto does not have a 1st round pick to trade.... nor does SAC unless they draft and trade on draft night.

Bargs/Kleiza for Thompson/Jimmer alone I would be all over except I don't see Sacramento doing the same due to money and Kleiza cannot play.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not all that concerned about Love's durability. I don't see him have a chronic hand fracture disorder

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should be looking hard at Kevin Martin. He would be a great fit on Toronto.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I think we should be looking hard at Kevin Martin. He would be a great fit on Toronto.
    Nah. K Mart would be useless here. We already have T Ross off the bench and DeRozan is basically a more athletic K Mart, there's not enough minutes for him unless we ship one of Ross or DeRozan. A 3rd big is what we need, someone like Jason Thompson, Jason Maxiell or Brandan Wright
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Thread Information