Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I disagree on that.

If all the stars align the Raptors ceiling is much higher, in my opinion.

It is probably a moot point because I can't see all the stars aligning to begin with.
    I'm with Fully on this. Mind you this is based on where I think Rudy Gay can be, not in the realm of magical wonderland where Rudy Gay played out of his mind and became better than LeBron James. In this realm, on this earth, if the stars aligned and every player on this roster played to the best of his capability, based on scouting reports and what we've seen so far in their respective careers -- if they played that well and never got hurt -- I think we're a 7th seed.

Which, I suppose, gives you a neat picture of where I think they'll place next year because stars don't align themselves in the real world.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      I'm with Fully on this. Mind you this is based on where I think Rudy Gay can be, not in the realm of magical wonderland where Rudy Gay played out of his mind and became better than LeBron James. In this realm, on this earth, if the stars aligned and every player on this roster played to the best of his capability, based on scouting reports and what we've seen so far in their respective careers -- if they played that well and never got hurt -- I think we're a 7th seed.

Which, I suppose, gives you a neat picture of where I think they'll place next year because stars don't align themselves in the real world.
      Fair enough.

But in my world where all the stars align you have 2 near all-stars starting in your back court, an all-star at SF, an all-star at C, a JR Smith-esque Ross off the bench, krazy glue in Amir and Fields (who can now shoot 3's again), a GOOD veteran back up PG, and another PF who contributes.

My stars aligning probably needs another galaxy to actually happen but we are talking about guys coming near maxing out their potential.... or at least I am.

Comment

This team is essentially the Indiana Pacers without mental toughness. They need a David West type Veteran and a nutso like Psycho T off the bench.

If they had that, and everyone played as close to their maximum capabilities then I could see the Raptors becoming a 5th/6th seed.. however I am treading carefully going into next season so will be expecting a 9th place finish.

Comment

How Christopher Bosh, awkward above average NBA forward, saved the world and brought a championship to Miami:

http://deadspin.com/this-chris-bosh-...rugs-478109116

Comment

Barring catastophic injuries, the top five: Heat, Knicks, Pacers, Nets and Bulls are locks. Atlanta is a curious case but the Hawks have a bunch of assets and a veteran GM who seems to have learned some lessons from past failures. Who knows with the Celts but, assuming KG is back and Rondo is healthy, I see them getting in.

It's going to be tough for the Raps. Cleveland should be improved with Irving in his third year. Washington played pretty good ball once healthy and I think they could be a sleeper next year. Philly is a different team if Bynum is back. The only hope I see is JV making a big step in year 2 and showing he's going to be an elite centre. If that happens, I can see them squeaking in. Barring that, I don't see it. Derozan, Lowry and Gay have plateaued as players. I'd be shocked if their numbers moved much next year. Amir is about as good as can be expected. There isn't anything else worth mentioning. Without capspace or any quality trade chips (unless you're moving key guys) I just don't feel very confident with this roster heading into next year.

Comment

it goes one of two ways. burns out and we sit around 9-10 all year with no really chance
              or
              everything finally clicks and we suprise everyone and it ends up
              heat
              bulls
              pacers
              raptors
              knicks
              nets
              wizards
              76ers

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                Barring catastophic injuries, the top five: Heat, Knicks, Pacers, Nets and Bulls are locks. Atlanta is a curious case but the Hawks have a bunch of assets and a veteran GM who seems to have learned some lessons from past failures. Who knows with the Celts but, assuming KG is back and Rondo is healthy, I see them getting in.

It's going to be tough for the Raps. Cleveland should be improved with Irving in his third year. Washington played pretty good ball once healthy and I think they could be a sleeper next year. Philly is a different team if Bynum is back. The only hope I see is JV making a big step in year 2 and showing he's going to be an elite centre. If that happens, I can see them squeaking in. Barring that, I don't see it. Derozan, Lowry and Gay have plateaued as players. I'd be shocked if their numbers moved much next year. Amir is about as good as can be expected. There isn't anything else worth mentioning. Without capspace or any quality trade chips (unless you're moving key guys) I just don't feel very confident with this roster heading into next year.
                Read the SI article. It should help give you a little confidence. I think our starting 5 is a playoff lock, we just need a bench to match them. No reason we should be under .500 next year and that is enough to be a playoff lock in the East.

Comment

Kind of.

That Liston article has me softening a bit.... although I am fighting it.

What happens if:

a) Gay plays to the best of his abilities ie. he is an all star,
                  b) what happens if DD and Gay feed off one another as they did down the stretch,
                  c) what happens if JV is half as good as the expectations placed upon him,
                  d) what happens if Lowry plays the way we all thought,
                  e) what happens if Casey returns to defensive form,
                  f) what happens if Fields can shoot again,
                  g) what happens if he can get anything of value for Bargnani?

Lots of ifs but (and another one coming) if the Raptors make the playoffs - and if all the above happened -and they went to the 2nd round *gasp* or farther *gasp*gasp* do you still crucify him for the previous 7 years or does he get credit for finally putting the pieces of a winner together?

Don't kill the messenger! Just asking to get other perspectives.
                  ^^ +1 million I don't usually agree with ppl on this forum, but that's bang on. BY NO means am I Colangelo hater or supporter. I simply want to see the Raptors get better. Realistically Colangelo has probably fulfilled every need that upper brass has ever thrown at him. Can't pan out if the moves didn't work out. AT LEAST he can get deals done, unlike most of our other GMs. He was able to bring JO in when we felt we were right on the cusp of being dangerous.. not his fault dudes knee was bad, and Roy Hibbert turned out better than expected ( still heavily overpaid tho). When he got Turk, the media was clamouring about how the Raptors pulled a coup on Portland to get him..hah. Again not really his fault though hedo was the most coveted free agent that year and guess what Colangelo got him. How many picks at 5, 9, 13 project to be as productive as DD, Davis, JV ? Did Kyle Lowry not go off in Houston and merit looks from tons of teams, but reportedly WANTED to come to Toronto if he was gonna be the guy. And Rudy Gay.. will probably be an All-Star regardless we still needed a star SF ..we all begged for it, all said its what we wanted ..he did it.

Realistically most of this dudes moves were praised at the time, or most likely what ownership and definitely the fans wanted.

I'll save the hate for if he messes up anymore this offseason like with the Landry Fields deal ( can't forgive that one.. clever move, but come ooooon if that costs us the ability to get a player like Korver I'll still be pissed about it lol)

Comment

Working...
                  X