Rudy Gay - Power Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Gay - Power Forward

In order to open up minutes to develop Terrence Ross, how do you guys think Rudy Gay would do at the 4 in some situations?

He plays quite a bit of 4 and he does it fairly well. When the matchup is right, there is no doubt this going to happen...it already does.

That said, I don't think we're going to do much of anything to open up minutes for Terrence Ross's development. The expectation next year is to win and unless T-Ross is straight-up ready to contribute then he's not going to see the floor and as fans we should be fine with this. Not because I don't think Terrence needs to develop, he does, but because there is so much more to development than just getting minutes. Look at how Doc Rivers turned Avery Bradley into a good player...that dude didn't play when he was drafted but behind the scenes he was becoming a player and when he was ready he got burn.

Let's develop T-Ross without hurting our win column.
    read my intelligent tweets

Comment

Completely agree with the win column thing but wish Ross could get at least somewhere from 21-24 minutes for the experience and further development. Also, Dwayne Casey is obviously no Doc Rivers. Even once the playoffs were out of the picture, Casey continued to overplay DD, usually playing Anderson behind him, and having Ross be the last option. If possible, someday I'd love to see a line up that had Ross, Gay, and Derozan in it.

Comment

Rudy playing spot minutes at the 4, in situationals, match-ups, etc, sure.

But, I do NOT want to see him there in a full-time/starting role.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

He already plays the 4 when the matchup is appropriate Casey figured that out a while ago.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            Rudy playing spot minutes at the 4, in situationals, match-ups, etc, sure.

But, I do NOT want to see him there in a full-time/starting role.
            Agreed. He'd get incinerated in the post against most genuine PF's.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Rudy and Landry will both get the call to play some minutes at the PF (like they did this year, and even AA). This should give Terrence lots of room for 20+ minutes if he earns them.
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Expecting Rudy Gay to play a consistent 4, is like expecting Andrea Bargnani to play a consistent 4.

They are not that type of player, even though their height, length, and hops can do it. You're just asking for them to get injured.

Comment

Gay at the 4 would be an interesting option in some situations. Actually, I would prefer a line-up of JV, Gay, Fields, DeRozan and Lowry. It has a bit more balance defensively. The problem would be 3 pt shooting. If Ross can improve in that area, he becomes another option.

Comment

Think about this way. You're basically saying we should play our 'star' player out of position so that a prospect can develop. As much as it's important we develop our players, considering we're now officially in 'win mode' ross will have to play with whatever minutes he's given. I agree with Gay at 4 for situational purposes, but when i see him end up guarding and getting burned by Greg Monroe, that's when i yell at my screen lol.

Comment

ryley_b wrote: View Post
                      He plays quite a bit of 4 and he does it fairly well. When the matchup is right, there is no doubt this going to happen...it already does.

That said, I don't think we're going to do much of anything to open up minutes for Terrence Ross's development. The expectation next year is to win and unless T-Ross is straight-up ready to contribute then he's not going to see the floor and as fans we should be fine with this. Not because I don't think Terrence needs to develop, he does, but because there is so much more to development than just getting minutes. Look at how Doc Rivers turned Avery Bradley into a good player...that dude didn't play when he was drafted but behind the scenes he was becoming a player and when he was ready he got burn.

Agreed 100%

Comment

ryley_b wrote: View Post

This right here. Ross wasn't bringing enough to the table offensively to forgive how bad he was on defense sometimes. He had way too many "lost puppy" moments out there. I have high hopes he comes into next season much more prepared, and the he will embrace the 6th man role that Anderson occupied this year. He will be a huge factor in whether our bench is acceptable or not.

Comment

T-Ross is too young. He's not going to develop over this summer as much as we all think he will. He doesn't have the maturity yet to take the game seriously.

He won't develop into a moderate player until year 3, just like Ed Davis.
                          You can quote me on this.

And also, He hates Toronto. He left IMMEDIATELY after his Exit interview and posted on twitter how awesome it was to get out of this city right after he got off the plane from LAX.

He will most likely blossom on another team.

Back to Rudy Gay.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                            T-Ross is too young. He's not going to develop over this summer as much as we all think he will. He doesn't have the maturity yet to take the game seriously.

He won't develop into a moderate player until year 3, just like Ed Davis.
                            You can quote me on this.

And also, He hates Toronto. He left IMMEDIATELY after his Exit interview and posted on twitter how awesome it was to get out of this city right after he got off the plane from LAX.

He will most likely blossom on another team.

Back to Rudy Gay.
                            Lots of interpretation here. This is what he actually tweeted:

Comment

Those tweets are okay, don't really know what you are talking about.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                              X