Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mackenzie on Raptors: DeRozan's losing battle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mackenzie on Raptors: DeRozan's losing battle

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...losing-battle/

ďI swear, I promise you, I donít even think about it. Sometimes teammates joke around with me, but I donít remember until they joke around with it. I really play this game for the love of the game. Itís just exciting to me to go out and play basketball in front of thousands of people at the highest level in the world. I really honestly donít think about it. Iím thankful for it. Iím happy to be here for another four years because I want to be the guy who stuck here through the tough times.Ē

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's kind of a weird quote to include from the article (which is pretty good, I recommend everyone reads it). I didn't even understand what he was talking about since you didn't include any context (he's discussing his contract extension in that quote).

I'd have included this quote:

“One thing about next season, I know for a fact we’ll be in the playoffs,” he said. “No question. I’ve been saying I hope, but we’re going to make it. We’ve got the talent to do it.”

Asked if that was a guarantee he wants to stamp his name beside, he nodded emphatically.

“I’m dedicating my summer to that. Period.”
    Anyways, not sure what kind of discussion you were trying to get going with the quote you included, but thanks for the link to the article. Nice to hear more about how loyal DD is to Toronto and how he goes into the gym late night to work on his 3 ball.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great article - terrible headline.

It's hard not to like DeRozan for his approach to the game, and his hard work. I get a little frustrated with some fans who keep saying that DD has hit his ceiling and doesn't have much room to grow as a player. If he continues to work hard and develops a bona fide 3-pt shot, and continues to work on his handles and moves, he is going to become an increasingly valuable player.

He's class all the way.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DD All Day, the man is 24 still improving, hard working, and wants to be here. i dont get why people would want to trade him when there's still bigger holes to fill.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If DeMar can shoot 36% from three, consistently fill the boxscore with more than points, and become average on defense.... well, he'd probably be my favourite Raptor of all time.

It is hard not to like the guy. I do believe he is sincere when he speaks about Toronto which is more than I can say for most other athletes when talking about the city they play for.... I'm a cynical guy, what can I say?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

6. Like TRX liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If DeMar can shoot 36% from three, consistently fill the boxscore with more than points, and become average on defense.... well, he'd probably be my favourite Raptor of all time.

It is hard not to like the guy. I do believe he is sincere when he speaks about Toronto which is more than I can say for most other athletes when talking about the city they play for.... I'm a cynical guy, what can I say?
    That's one of the wonders of our time. We want everybody to see the 'right' thing all the time. We give plenty of media-training to learn them to say what we want to hear. And we certainly don't want them to be honest all the time. But because of it we can't believe anything we hear and we get cynical because so many times what we wanted to hear and what was told us because we wanted it to be said, isn't the truth and we know it.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    That's one of the wonders of our time. We want everybody to see the 'right' thing all the time. We give plenty of media-training to learn them to say what we want to hear. And we certainly don't want them to be honest all the time. But because of it we can't believe anything we hear and we get cynical because so many times what we wanted to hear and what was told us because we wanted it to be said, isn't the truth and we know it.
    How did this conversation become about Colangelo?

"Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    How did this conversation become about Colangelo?

I always have to think about him with this stuff; I did have him in mind...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

this, you have to be pretty stupid to not realize your annual salary just tripled. It's plain to me he is bullshiting.
    Last edited by akashsingh; Wed Apr 24th, 2013 at 07:57 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    this, you have to be pretty stupid to not realize your annual salary just tripled. It's plain to me he is bullshiting.
    Ahh I'm not so sure. I mean, he'd already made like 12 mil or whatever off of his rookie contract. Anything after that won't make any real difference to his day to day life. If anything, it'll just make things more complicated. More money more problems, as they say.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    it hasnt tripled yet, his pay checks will triple next season

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

so much respect for his loyalty.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fans are all for players telling the 100% truth... if it lines up exactly with what they want to hear.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DeMar is a G. what a good guy, Is he still in Toronto right now anyone know? he said he'd be going with Payton asap when season ended.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

DD starting the off season the right way.

What worries me is the comment of young players getting use to losing.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Much respect to DD and his loyalty to toronto. But if we can trade DD for a really good 4 or trade him and then sign a good 4 during FA, I'd do it within a heartbeat. As much as I like him, he's not going to be an all star caliber player. He's a hard worker but he doesn't have that intensity or confidence you see guys like wade have, some people are just born with it. If wade's an unfair comparison, then look at players like Paul George and Kemba. They stay aggressive and attack, whereas we've seen DD become passive and sometimes lost when calls don't go his way or if there's a real physical defender on him.

We can put Fields in at the 2 spot and we'll be fine. Fields might not be as good offensively (who knows, he might regain the 3pt stroke he had in his rookie year) but he makes up for it in ball IQ, playmaking, rebounding and defense.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pong wrote: View Post
    Much respect to DD and his loyalty to toronto. But if we can trade DD for a really good 4 or trade him and then sign a good 4 during FA, I'd do it within a heartbeat. As much as I like him, he's not going to be an all star caliber player. He's a hard worker but he doesn't have that intensity or confidence you see guys like wade have, some people are just born with it. If wade's an unfair comparison, then look at players like Paul George and Kemba. They stay aggressive and attack, whereas we've seen DD become passive and sometimes lost when calls don't go his way or if there's a real physical defender on him.

We can put Fields in at the 2 spot and we'll be fine. Fields might not be as good offensively (who knows, he might regain the 3pt stroke he had in his rookie year) but he makes up for it in ball IQ, playmaking, rebounding and defense.
    I agree DD probably doesn't have all star appearances in his future, but starting Fields is a massive downgrade at SG, barring a shooting stroke miracle over the summer. We definitely wouldn't be fine, as you suggest. We'd be worse, a lot worse. If DD goes we have to bring in a new starting SG because no one else on the roster is good enough right now (maybe Ross in a few years).

19. Like Dino4life, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting Fields would only create more struggles for Gay on the wing Fields is next to useless unless under the rim and having some lanes he can run for a backdoor cut... hes a good sub play some spot minutes sure but starting? no way in hell theres a reason NY never played him he was the 9th guy in their rotation, cause after the 30 games he played well his performance started to crash and burn. Great guy though.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Starting Fields would only create more struggles for Gay on the wing Fields is next to useless unless under the rim and having some lanes he can run for a backdoor cut... hes a good sub play some spot minutes sure but starting? no way in hell theres a reason NY never played him he was the 9th guy in their rotation, cause after the 30 games he played well his performance started to crash and burn. Great guy though.
    He started 143 out of a possible 148 games with the Knicks, what are you saying....
    Twitter - @thekid_it

22. Like Michel G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    We all know you love DeRozan and hate Fields (especially any avenue where DeRozan is traded away and Fields becomes the starting SG), but I think you're reaching a little on this post. Yes Fields had his struggles (mainly a result of injury), but he is far from useless. Plus your claims are way off-base, as isaacthompson pointed out.

You have to at least be open to considering other options - remember the scenario laid out had DeRozan being traded for an upgraded PF which, when combined with Lowry picking up more slack and Valanciunas continuing to develop his offensive game, would theoretically be more than capable of picking up the scoring slack (not to mention an improved Fields who's recovered from injury).

Thread Information