Mackenzie on Raptors: DeRozan's losing battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    Look closer. The only contracts they have going into next season are great value. Horford (a multi-time All Star in his prime) at $12M, Lou Williams at $5M, and their rookie Jenkins at $1M. That's $40M+ in cap space. They also have Jeff Teague as a RFA so they can bring him back easily and for a decent price. They have bird rights on Josh Smith so he can easily be dealt in a S&T to bring back some more talent, or just resigned if Atlanta chooses to go that route. They also have 2 1st round picks this year to help facilitate any trades they want to make, or just to add more cheap talent. If they wanted, Atlanta could sign Al Jefferson and another player, before going over the cap to resign Smith and Teague. At the minimum, they can easily put together this roster, which is a lot better than the Raps in my opinion.

PG: Teague
    SG: Williams, Jenkins
    SF: Smith
    PF: Horford
    C: Jefferson

They could also easily bring back Korver at SF if they choose to move Smith. Basically, they have excellent pieces of great contracts, plus tons of cap space, plus 2 first round picks, plus Atlanta is a desirable city for the average NBA player. Hawks have a much more attractive situation than the Raps.
    I agree with everything but Smith at the 3. He has been a fail at SF.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I agree with everything but Smith at the 3. He has been a fail at SF.
      Yeah, I don't think they want Smith at the 3 either. I'm pretty sure they're going to S&T him for something they need like a starting SG (Lou Williams is better off the bench and needs to play a lot of backup PG) or a SF. Maybe trade with Milwaukee for Monte Ellis or Ilyasova? Milwaukee has great interest in Smith and would probably be willing to max him out, and all Smith wants is to get paid.

Another option could be to Phoenix for something like Dudley and Scola. Or Sacramento for Tyreke Evans. I think there are enough suitors for Smith that Atlanta could get something favorable done.
      Last edited by Primer; Thu Apr 25, 2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Dude do you even watch the nba? Fields started like every game for NYC...
        Dude do you even watch the Raptors?? Fields gets less playing time than AA & he cant shoot! ....Check his stats in the playoffs with NYC......Starter? Only in BC's mind. He should've never got that contract!

Comment

Dude do you even watch the nba? Fields started like every game for NYC...
          out of necessity he started then sat on the bench cause hes garbage and a liability. I guess you can blame his #s and sucking on Melo though,

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
            I think Al Jefferson ends up in Atlanta after ATL strikes out on Howard. They have the cap space and are a much more attractive situation.

Also, not sure how Amir isn't a true post player. He takes 68% of his shots less than 8ft from the basket. He makes 64% of those attempts. If anything you're adding a guy like Millsap to spread the floor more since he's comfortable shooting out to 19 ft.
            Sorry to clarify I meant a back to the basket big. Someone we can dump the ball to in the post and let him work. Amir currently relies most of his makes either in the pick and roll or hustle plays from offensive rebounds. This worked real well when Calderon was the PG since he's a great shooter and passer while Amir was awesome at rolling to the hoop. Lowry isn't as great in the pick and roll (maybe because hes shorter and its harder for him to see the rolling big man and make the pass) and is better suited for drive and kick.

Having a back to the basket big man allows us to change the tempo of the game depending on match ups and if our wings get cold.

Comment

So perhaps my example of millsap isn't the greatest since he's not as great in the post as a gasol or al Jeff

Comment

Pong wrote: View Post
                Sorry to clarify I meant a back to the basket big. Someone we can dump the ball to in the post and let him work. Amir currently relies most of his makes either in the pick and roll or hustle plays from offensive rebounds. This worked real well when Calderon was the PG since he's a great shooter and passer while Amir was awesome at rolling to the hoop. Lowry isn't as great in the pick and roll (maybe because hes shorter and its harder for him to see the rolling big man and make the pass) and is better suited for drive and kick.

Having a back to the basket big man allows us to change the tempo of the game depending on match ups and if our wings get cold.
                I'm thinking Jonas will develop that post game. He'll need to if he's going to become elite.

Comment

JV will become a good post player, but typically big men need several years to develop. If BC is serious about making an impact in the playoffs next year, we need to add that star PF in our starting 5. And if we do land someone like an al jefferson (again, a pipe dream) think of how much JV could learn from him.

Comment

Good arguments here.

If DD isn't traded, team relies on internal improvement - JV, Ross, Acy, DeRozan. I personally like the idea of keeping DeRozan, Bargnani & Ross as trade chips, and Amir as the starting power forward. That true post player is in JV, where he has shown more than a handful of moments in the post. Much room to grow obviously, but he is quite polished in that area, the physicality/footwork is where he'll get better moves, looks, makes, etc.

Trade for a power forward, you acquire an above average starter at that position, with a player capable of starting behind that set player in Amir. But, Fields and Ross are the set replacements, and neither in my honest opinion have earned/talented to consistently hold that spot. Yet (Ross - rookie, inexperienced, inconsistent).

Keep team as is, rely on internal improvement, and try to make deal with Bargnani and fillers/assets i.e Fields, Ross, etc. This team keeps 5, capable starters, bring in a significant back-up or starter with Bargnani/Ross, and MLE becomes asset to sign the smaller issues i.e shooters, 3rd PG.

In my opinion, I wouldn't be upset with either option, just much rather/prefer keeping DeRozan. A core and key player continuity is a major role of building successful teams.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                      Dude do you even watch the Raptors?? Fields gets less playing time than AA & he cant shoot! ....Check his stats in the playoffs with NYC......Starter? Only in BC's mind. He should've never got that contract!
                      He had a nerve problem in his elbow dating back to his rookie season in NY. You can't say he can't shoot, he's just not physically able to shoot because of his elbow surgery. You could be the best shooter in the world, but if you end up having a nerve problem in your shooting elbow its going to fuck everything up. alex mckechnie said they are going to work with him throughout the summer to fix it, he also said that by training camp he should be good to go because of how hard Fields works.
                      Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Fri Apr 26, 2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        out of necessity he started then sat on the bench cause hes garbage and a liability. I guess you can blame his #s and sucking on Melo though,
                        No he sat on the bench because his elbow started acting up. Like i said, his elbow problems dated back to his rookie season in NY. That is why his numbers dropped off. Some of you don't seem to understand what is going on. Fields is physically unable to shoot properly, you think he's clawing his hand up on purpose bricking open shots?

It seems that if a player can't score he's automatically deemed "garbage" in your eyes. That is just simply ridiculous, if DeRozan had a nerve problem in his right elbow i guarantee you that he would be more of a liability than fields. Would you be calling him garbage too then? take off the homer shades for once

Comment

No he sat on the bench because his elbow started acting up. Like i said, his elbow problems dated back to his rookie season in NY. That is why his numbers dropped off. Some of you don't seem to understand what is going on. Fields is physically unable to shoot properly, you think he's clawing his hand up on purpose bricking open shots?

It seems that if a player can't score he's automatically deemed "garbage" in your eyes. That is just simply ridiculous, if DeRozan had a nerve problem in his right elbow i guarantee you that he would be more of a liability than fields. Would you be calling him garbage too then? take off the homer shades for once
                          NEVER.

when fields got his elbow issue is debatable nobody really knows when but hes only played good for 30 games in his career...so I guess anytime after that.

Comment

but hes only played good for 30 games in his career...so I guess anytime after that.
                            Just curious: which 30 games?

Seems to me he had a stellar rookie year, followed by a decent 2nd year (for a guy who was drafted 39th (behind Andy Rautins) and wasn't expected to crack New York's lineup. At some point in year 2 and definitely by year 3, the elbow issue became an obvious problem.

IF -- a big if, admittedly -- he returns to his level of play from his senior year of college and rookie year in the NBA, Fields will provide excellent value in the starting lineup or off the bench, and bring things few others on the current roster can bring.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

the begining of his sophmore season he played well for 30 games then he started to slump hard. Im guessing thats when the (injury?) happened. It was shortened season so his stats are still admirable. Im just curious if this happened why didnt the NY doctors look into his issues you dont have a player playing well shooting 49% and 39% from 3 and not look into it....

Comment

the begining of his sophmore season he played well for 30 games then he started to slump hard. Im guessing thats when the (injury?) happened. It was shortened season so his stats are still admirable. Im just curious if this happened why didnt the NY doctors look into his issues you dont have a player playing well shooting 49% and 39% from 3 and not look into it....
                                They don't exactly have the best medical staff

Comment

Working...
                                X