Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Love: Wish or Swish?

20. Kevin Love
    Tough love for Love! He already lost the 2013 Mokeski to David Lee; now he's bungee-jumping 16 picks from last year's lofty no. 4 spot to this year's semi-insulting no. 20 position, which normally wouldn't happen to a 24-year-old franchise star unless he was arrested with two underage girls and three and a half pounds of molly. Just know that he didn't drop 16 spots because of that twice-broken hand. If we're measuring players by trade value, we're really measuring them by the probability that they'd ever be traded. And Kevin Love WILL be traded. It's inevitable. It might happen this summer, it might happen during next season, but it's going to happen.
    And here's why: Before the 2011-12 season started, Minnesota could have locked Love up to a five-year max extension that he wanted to sign. Incredibly, the T-Wolves decided it would be dumb to lock up a 23-year-old franchise guy for as long as humanly possible; they wanted to save that "max" extension slot for Ricky Rubio. Love signed a lucrative four-year extension with a player option for Year 4 (after 2014-15) that may as well be called "Kevin Love's Get Out of Jail Free Card." He's been bitter ever since. You would be too.
    What should you do if you're Minnesota? If you're smart, you'd build around Rubio (about to get an extension), Pekovic (about to get paid) and whatever you can get for Kevin Love. The blueprint: In February 2011, the Jazz shrewdly dealt Deron Williams 17 months before he could bolt Utah for a high lottery pick (Derrick Favors) and a future lottery pick (that became no. 3 overall: Enes Kanter), maximizing any and all leverage they had. I don't see how the T-Wolves make it through this summer without doing the same. The likeliest suitor? Chicago. The Bulls have big contracts to make the trade work (Luol Deng on the enticing side, Carlos Boozer on the less enticing side); they're loaded with assets like Jimmy Butler (no. 49 on this year's list), the rights to Mirotic (a high lottery pick if he entered this year's draft), and the rights to Charlotte's future no. 1 pick (top-10 protected in 2014, top-eight protected in 2015, unprotected in 2016); and they're a big-market contender with a superstar in house (so they could keep Love for the long haul).
    Let's say Chicago calls Minnesota in June and offers them Boozer's contract with Butler, Mirotic AND the Charlotte pick. How could the T-Wolves turn that down? And if you're the Bulls, how would you turn down the chance to (a) dump Boozer's deal, and (b) upend a potential Miami dynasty with a nucleus of Rose, Noah, Love, Deng, Taj Gibson and Tom Thibodeau these next few years? You know, unless your owner was too cheap to make a real run at the Heat? (Cut to every Chicago fan grimacing.) Anyway, I'm dropping Love to 20 only because that Bulls trade made too much damned sense. It just did.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-value-part-2

Any chance we can get him?

1) If David Khan gets irritated with Love because of his comments and demeanor, what better way would there be than to throw him to an eastern team who hasnt been to the playoffs in so many years?

Would you do Amir + DD + 1st rounder for Love?
    Amir would be a good backup or even play alongside Pecovic, DD as the starting SG and 1st rounder as icing on the cake.

I much prefer giving away Bargnani for Love, but I doubt Minny has any need or want for Bargnani...

Comment

DeRozan & future 1st round pick would be similar to what Utah got for Williams and would be much better than Deng/Boozer & future 1st round pick.

Unfortunately, DeRozan would not be enough to get it done, salary-wise. Even after his new contract kicks in on July 1st, the most the Raptors could take back in trade is $11.975M. Since Love makes $14.694M next season, the Raptors would need to send out at least $11.676M ($2.176M more than DeRozan alone).

Obviously the best-case scenario would be to sell Kahn on Bargnani, while taking back Ridnour. If I was Toronto, I'd even offer a 2nd 1st round pick and/or their 2014 2nd round pick (better of their own and SAC's pick). DeRozan & Bargnani & 1st round pick & 2nd round pick for Love & Ridnour is too ideal to even consider... it's not Chicago I'd be worried about, but other potential suitors.

If Johnson is included instead of Bargnani, I'd give it some thought, but it would be much harder to pull the trigger. At that point you're giving up two young rotation players for one young rotation player with an ETO and a veteran backup on an expiring deal... that would be a tough call, but I think I'd still do it.

A starting lineup of Valanciunas, Love, Gay, Fields and Lowry, with Ross & Ridnour on the bench would be a great young core. Bargnani would still be an asset (to trade) and the Raps could use the MLE (after using amnesty of Kleiza), to add a backup PF and backup SF. Gray, Acy and Lucas would complete their 13-man roster.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Apr 26, 2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
        1) If David Khan gets irritated with Love because of his comments and demeanor, what better way would there be than to throw him to an eastern team who hasnt been to the playoffs in so many years?

Would you do Amir + DD + 1st rounder for Love?
        Amir would be a good backup or even play alongside Pecovic, DD as the starting SG and 1st rounder as icing on the cake.
        David Khan was actually fired today. Even if he was retained though, I don't think any GM would trade a player to a certain destination just to settle a personal score.

I think there's a decent chance that Love gets moved this summer. It really depends on what the new GM wants to do in Minnesota... If he decides to tear it down and put his own imprint on the team then Love would certainly be one of the big pieces moved to kick start that process.

Comment

I think teams like Cleveland, or Atlanta could make better offers, as Toronto does not have a lot of assets. Love makes a decent salary and would be coveted by a lot of teams looking for a young franchise talent.

Would be great to have him (not a fan of his defense but his other talents make up for it), but I don't think its going to happen.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            David Khan was actually fired today. Even if he was retained though, I don't think any GM would trade a player to a certain destination just to settle a personal score.

I think there's a decent chance that Love gets moved this summer. It really depends on what the new GM wants to do in Minnesota... If he decides to tear it down and put his own imprint on the team then Love would certainly be one of the big pieces moved to kick start that process.
            Yeah. I didn't think the Raps could get Love, but before he got fired I could have totally seen Kahn trading for Bargnani as a temporary stop-gap. I'm happy for the Wolves (Kahn is not good), but bummed out for the Raps. Flip Saunders is too smart to take Bargs without some serious assets going his way.

Comment

At this stage of his career, i would throw Andrea + T-Ross + Future 1st rounder for Love, don't know if the Wolves would bite. The Wolves get a PF scorer in Andrea who might make a name for himself on that young team. T-Ross would become their franchise SG for years to come if he develops his game right. As for the Raptors, let's hope K.Love get back to the way he was before, the dynamic rebounder

Comment

Isn't there a good chance they fired Kahn in part because they want to keep Love?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  DeRozan & future 1st round pick would be similar to what Utah got for Williams and would be much better than Deng/Boozer & future 1st round pick.
                  The author wrote Boozer + Butler + Mirotic + Charlotte's pick, which is substantially more than Deng/Boozer & future 1st round pick.

If the Raptors offer DeRozan + Johnson + 1st round pick as you mentioned, it gets muddy as to which offer is best.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    Isn't there a good chance they fired Kahn in part because they want to keep Love?
                    I think its beyond David Kahn or any other Minny GM now. Its on Kevin Love. And remembering how he voiced his displeasure with the team and fans booing him, I dont think Sauders would make it his priority to move him but a nudge from Kevin Love himself might push Sauders in that direction.

If they can look past all the "inadequacies" of Bargnani and consider his true worth which is big man playing outside, which would allow Rubio to operate and penetrate and clear the interior for Pecovic to move around, then a trade could happen. If not, I dont know how they would pass up on a Amir/DD or Ross/1st rounder deal.

If you look around the league, only the Raptors "technically" does not have a close-to-a-franchise-player type player. And Kevin Love can see this situation as something that he benefit from.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                      I think its beyond David Kahn or any other Minny GM now. Its on Kevin Love. And remembering how he voiced his displeasure with the team and fans booing him, I dont think Sauders would make it his priority to move him but a nudge from Kevin Love himself might push Sauders in that direction.

If they can look past all the "inadequacies" of Bargnani and consider his true worth which is big man playing outside, which would allow Rubio to operate and penetrate and clear the interior for Pecovic to move around, then a trade could happen. If not, I dont know how they would pass up on a Amir/DD or Ross/1st rounder deal.

If you look around the league, only the Raptors "technically" does not have a close-to-a-franchise-player type player. And Kevin Love can see this situation as something that he benefit from.
                      I just think Cleveland is the front runner. He's good friends with Irving.. they have cap space/draft picks/young assets.

A package of Andy V, Thompson, 2013 #1 pick (which is going to be in the top 5) and maybe a second rounder/future pick would blow away any deal that Toronto could offer.

A nucleus of Irving/Love/Waiters I think is fairly solid.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cq3fola

Kevin Love, Ridnour, D. Williams <----> Bargnani, Derozan, Amir + future 1st rounder

Hollinger PER says Minnesota wins this deal by far.

Raptors:
                        Lowry, Ridnour
                        Ross, Fields
                        Gay, Williams
                        Love, Acy
                        Val, Gray

Acy, Williams, and Fields can share the backup 2,3, and 4.

Minnesota:

Rubio, Barea
                        Derozan, Shved
                        Kirilenko, Buddinger
                        Amir, Bargnani
                        Pekovic, Stiemsma

Minnesota looks like a very very deep team, with potential stars at C, PG, and SG.

BTW Ive never noticed this until now, Minnesota is so freaking european its ridiculous.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cq3fola

Kevin Love, Ridnour, D. Williams <----> Bargnani, Derozan, Amir + future 1st rounder

Hollinger PER says Minnesota wins this deal by far.

Raptors:
                          Lowry, Ridnour
                          Ross, Fields
                          Gay, Williams
                          Love, Acy
                          Val, Gray

Acy, Williams, and Fields can share the backup 2,3, and 4.

Minnesota:

Rubio, Barea
                          Derozan, Shved
                          Kirilenko, Buddinger
                          Amir, Bargnani
                          Pekovic, Stiemsma

Minnesota looks like a very very deep team, with potential stars at C, PG, and SG.

BTW Ive never noticed this until now, Minnesota is so freaking european its ridiculous.
                          While this one looks good on paper .. the fatal flaw is I dont think it leaves them enough room to max out Rubio (especially if they resign Pekovic). My understanding is the whole reason they didnt give Love max years was to leave flexibility for Rubio. Thus, a deal that kills that I dont think they do.

Something like DD + Draft pick plus mid level salary that only has a year or two left might work. Havent done the math, but maybe Amir .. might need to be less.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                            While this one looks good on paper .. the fatal flaw is I dont think it leaves them enough room to max out Rubio (especially if they resign Pekovic). My understanding is the whole reason they didnt give Love max years was to leave flexibility for Rubio. Thus, a deal that kills that I dont think they do.

Something like DD + Draft pick plus mid level salary that only has a year or two left might work. Havent done the math, but maybe Amir .. might need to be less.
                            Regardless of whether or not trades is realistic, they would have Rubio's Bird Rights and can pay him what they want up to max.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Regardless of whether or not trades is realistic, they would have Rubio's Bird Rights and can pay him what they want up to max.
                              Is that how it works? You have one "max" slot to use and you can use that one slot regardless of your cap situation? And thus, by not giving Love the true max, they maintained this flexibility with Rubio? If yes .. then I take back my comment (at least in part .. they would still have negative luxury tax implications by having Pekovic, DD, AB, AJ + rubio max so presumably they would prefer a deal where they take on DD plus someone with less salary / years).

Anyways - if you can confirm thats how the max contracts work, that would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X