Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Lewieke's on Fan590.com in a couple minutes.
    Is this viewable in video form?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Is this viewable in video form?
    i believe they broadcast some of this on sportsnet channel. but this is a phone interview, hes not at studio

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

interview over, just a welcome-to-toronto type of thing really.

all in all "i want to make every toronto team a champion"

nothing specific answered about GMs/coaches for each respective team

Post Thanks / Like

didn`t sound very enthused with Bryan

6. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i think leiweke would fire colangelo on the spot, based on his past performance. colangelo's handling of bosh by itself is an utter embarrassment when compared to what leiweke and his group has done in LA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Here's the full espn story for yall:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/92...on-sources-say

This article has ALOT going in it, but there are two quotes that really excite me:
    Sources told ESPN.com this week that the Raptors have interest in talking with Jackson about the Pat Riley-style role he craves in charge of a team's basketball operations. ESPN.com reported last week that Jackson, after nearly two seasons in retirement, is itching to return to the NBA next season, preferably in a role similar to Riley's in Miami that allows him to oversee both the basketball department and the coaching staff
    but almost more exciting for me is:

At his core, Leiweke is a big idea man. When he wanted to make MLS and the Los Angeles Galaxy relevant in a town that usually only has eyes for basketball and baseball, he had a big hand in convincing international soccer star David Beckham to come to America after Beckham's time at Real Madrid.
    Source
    Leiweke seems like a hands on kinda guy.
    Even if we don't get Phil Jackson, I can see this being a GREAT move for all of MLSE.
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Apr 26th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

9. Like bounty, Nilanka, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to merge this with the Leiweke thread.
    They're really the same conversation at their core.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

From same article above:
    Leiweke also has a longstanding working relationship with Lakers executive Jeanie Buss, Jackson's fiancee.
    In an interview this week with the San Francisco Chronicle, Jackson said "three or four teams" have already expressed interested and that "none of it involves coaching."

"There are some interesting situations that are presenting themselves, but I really haven't made up my mind yet what I'm going to do," Jackson told the Chronicle.

Jackson also told the newspaper he's interested in a developing team "where you'd have the influence in (selecting the) coaching staff and the kind of culture that goes along with it."

"It would be a real opportunity to implant the game, a culture that I believe in -- that's the intriguing part,"
    Jackson said.

Mould us Phil. We are your clay.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil is not coming here.

He will basically have to sit on his hands for two years. They have no first rounder. No cap room. Little in tradable assets. With all due respect, he's 67 years old and has battled health problems in recent seasons. He's not taking a job where has to sit around for two seasons to start putting his fingerprints on it. I'm not convinced he's taking any position unless it's something with the Lakers again... I think he just likes the attention to a certain extent.

He has has two fake hips and a fake knee to boot. His long time partner Jeanie Buss lives in California. Unless they allow him to run the team from Cali himself, he's not coming to Toronto in the winter.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Phil is not coming here.

He will basically have to sit on his hands for two years. They have no first rounder. No cap room. Little in tradable assets. With all due respect, he's 67 years old and has battled health problems in recent seasons. He's not taking a job where has to sit around for two seasons to start putting his fingerprints on it. I'm not convinced he's taking any position unless it's something with the Lakers again... I think he just likes the attention to a certain extent.

He has has two fake hips and a fake knee to boot. His long time partner Jeanie Buss lives in California. Unless they allow him to run the team from Cali himself, he's not coming to Toronto in the winter.
    You know everything about Phil don't you?

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil is not coming here.

What do you mean sit on his hands for 2 years? Sure he has no draft this year, but he wouldnt even take command this year! We still have all our first round picks for every upcoming year....
    If you think the entire point of a GM (not even the position Phil wants) is to consistently make large player moves, year after year, you are sadly mistaken.
    Phil wants to be in charge of basketball operations, and the coaching staff. Or to be a high-order consultant. Eitherway, your assessment that he will sit on his impatient hands for the next 2 years is stupid and false.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the interview... Had to read some code but was pretty easy to find:

Interview

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Here is the interview... Had to read some code but was pretty easy to find:

Interview
    Nice find man! Thanks for posting this. Was bummed I missed it.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    What do you mean sit on his hands for 2 years? Sure he has no draft this year, but he wouldnt even take command this year! We still have all our first round picks for every upcoming year....
    If you think the entire point of a GM (not even the position Phil wants) is to consistently make large player moves, year after year, you are sadly mistaken.
    Phil wants to be in charge of basketball operations, and the coaching staff. Or to be a high-order consultant. Eitherway, your assessment that he will sit on his impatient hands for the next 2 years is stupid and false.
    "basketball operations" in terms of Phil = GM
    So yes, he and leiweke would immediately begin to mold this team. As a high profile person, you don't make such a high profile move and sit on your hands for two years of mediocre results, or in other words, you don't be bryan colangelo 2.0.

Yes, our contracts our loaded. But they will try to get rid of them somehow.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if we dont get Phil Jackson, Knowing that somewhere in Toronto, Colangelo is Crapping his pants, is enough satisfaction for me. I would just love to hear his presentation next week, when he explains that 5 years without playoffs is right on schedule and better then 11 rings.

But be warned if Colangelos option is picked up after this, you can expect a crazy summer of trades and signings and a whole bunch of desperation moves on his part between draft night and the trade deadline.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    You know everything about Phil don't you?
    It's not a secret that Phil battles chronic arthritis and problems with his hips/knees. It wasn't too long ago that he had all of the surgeries. He would often miss road games to end the season because his body couldn't handle the travel. I'm pretty sure he's on record saying that the warm climate of California keeps him comfortable and improves his quality of life. I just don't see him coming to Toronto for the winter... that's it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. I didn't expect you guys to take it so personally.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. I didn't expect you guys to take it so personally.
    Should exercise caution when stepping on peoples dreams Fully. hahah
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that most intrigues me about the Tim Leiweke hiring as CEO of MLSE, is that it now gives the Owners a Face. It also leads me to believe they have reduced the role "the Board" will play.

He is now the guy we point to as our "Owner".
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Apr 26th, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If Phil wanted to sit on the pine I'd be ecstatic but running the team is a different beast. I'm not sold on this being a better choice than sticking with Colangelo in terms of which guy would make better personnel decisions but no doubt Phil brings a lot more prestige and this should not be underrated.

Bringing Phil in might be the overnight reputation overhaul that Raptors board is craving.
    If we could replace Colangelo with the inanimate carbon rod it would make a positive difference. I am only half-joking.

One more thought. The board would need to give up more control to get Phil. Are they willing to do that? (ie:they have veto power over Colangelo currently).
    Leiweke is in charge. That's why they hired him. They needed someone to run these teams. That's not Phil Jackson or Bryan Colangelo or the Leafs GM or the TFC GM. It's Leiweke. He was hands on in LA. I expect the same in Toronto.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information