Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Phil is not coming here.

He will basically have to sit on his hands for two years. They have no first rounder. No cap room. Little in tradable assets. With all due respect, he's 67 years old and has battled health problems in recent seasons. He's not taking a job where has to sit around for two seasons to start putting his fingerprints on it. I'm not convinced he's taking any position unless it's something with the Lakers again... I think he just likes the attention to a certain extent.

He has has two fake hips and a fake knee to boot. His long time partner Jeanie Buss lives in California. Unless they allow him to run the team from Cali himself, he's not coming to Toronto in the winter.
    For 1 year. Next year the Raptors GM position becomes the best in the NBA.

1-Gay, Field, Bargnani all become expiring contracts next summer. If they suck they are no longer untradedable
    2-Kyle Lowrys contract runs out next summer, either he is the "PG of the Future or you let him go" Win-Win
    3-By than you know if JV and Ross are trash, good, or really good.
    4-You get a 2014 Lottery Pick.
    5-Casey's contract runs out too, so you dont owe him a penny if he sucks.
    6-Kleiza, Lucas, Aaron Gray are a thing of the past

And Honestly you cant expect someone new to an organization to tear down everything on day 1 and for them to all be good moves. Take the Job now evaluate the situation for a year than make the moves you need to make, and he'll have plenty of room to get it done.

Canadian winter is gonna be a factor tough, you are right about that, hell i cant stand it and i was born in canadian winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Look, Phil Jackson has 11 NBA rings, helped teams win championship (obviously had great players too), but he was also able to bring teams together. Reason for the name, "Zen Master."

Bryan Colangelo has 0 NBA rings, helped teams reach mediocrity, and his best sell of hope if Andrea Bargnani.

Sure, let's just keep BC.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to throw it out there....

Jackson was born in Montana....went to college in North Dakota....spent his playing career in NY...and the first chunk of his coaching career in Chicago....why would he fear winter? I'm not suggesting it will necessarily play no part in any decision he makes, but there are few warm weather teams with the resources and opportunity he'd want, and those will play a bigger part than the weather in his decision...I'm sure by quite a wide margin.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 26th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Just to throw it out there....

Jackson was born in Montana....went to college in North Dakota....spent his playing career in NY...and the first chunk of his coaching career in Chicago....why would he fear winter? I'm not suggesting it will necessarily play no part in any decision he makes, but there are few warm weather teams with the resources and opportunity he'd want, and those will play a bigger part than the weather in his decision...I'm sure by quite a wide margin.
    Its not about preferences or being used to it, even if he loves snow, its a fact that cold temperatures exacerbates certain medical conditions. Joints especially

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun 9m

"Raptors have to aspire to be Heat and Lakers, a team that people want to be a part of." Good luck with that #bonnechance
    Nice to hear things like this but honestly say Phil says "pfffffffftttttt CANADA? where is that Fuck no lol LMAO *sniffs coke off his desk merp merp merp" Whats plan B?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Nice to hear things like this but honestly say Phil says "pfffffffftttttt CANADA? where is that Fuck no lol LMAO *sniffs coke off his desk merp merp merp" Whats plan B?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

7. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackson lives in Montana, which is north of Toronto, latitude wise. Toronto winters are quite balmy compared to the average Montana winter.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    It's not a secret that Phil battles chronic arthritis and problems with his hips/knees. It wasn't too long ago that he had all of the surgeries. He would often miss road games to end the season because his body couldn't handle the travel. I'm pretty sure he's on record saying that the warm climate of California keeps him comfortable and improves his quality of life. I just don't see him coming to Toronto for the winter... that's it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. I didn't expect you guys to take it so personally.
    Fully, you're wrong.

Michael Grange: One NBA source on Jackson to Toronto: 'he loves the city... he spends half the time in Montana anyway' Twitter @michaelgrange
    Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#oVRkqRjCeicgkD82.99

10. Like bounty, ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Being a coach and being a GM are not the same thing. Coaching the Jordan-led Bulls and the Kobe / Shaq Lakers is not the same as building a team in Toronto.

I respect what Phil Jackson has done, but I'm not sure why so many think that he will be a miracle worker as a GM. He has to develop a team exactly the same way as every GM, and it isn't through some sort of "Zen" philosophy. Unless you can buy a championship (much more difficult in the cap era), champions will rely largely on a long-time coach and a consistent effective coaching philosophy (e.g. Popovic). What Pat Riley did with the Heat (now or with Wade and Shaq) didn't impress me all that much. If people are expecting that of Jackson, good luck.

The one thing that Jackson might bring to TO is respectability, and maybe some free agents (once they clear some cap space). How far his influence would extend on that front is a bit of an unknown, though.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    Being a coach and being a GM are not the same thing. Coaching the Jordan-led Bulls and the Kobe / Shaq Lakers is not the same as building a team in Toronto.

I respect what Phil Jackson has done, but I'm not sure why so many think that he will be a miracle worker as a GM. He has to develop a team exactly the same way as every GM, and it isn't through some sort of "Zen" philosophy. Unless you can buy a championship (much more difficult in the cap era), champions will rely largely on a long-time coach and a consistent effective coaching philosophy (e.g. Popovic). What Pat Riley did with the Heat (now or with Wade and Shaq) didn't impress me all that much. If people are expecting that of Jackson, good luck.

The one thing that Jackson might bring to TO is respectability, and maybe some free agents (once they clear some cap space). How far his influence would extend on that front is a bit of an unknown, though.
    To me it's less about phil jackson, and more about getting colangelo to piss off! This is not a good core, too many 1 dimensional players like derozan and bargnani eating large salary. Im certain bryan doesn't see it that way.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    Its not about preferences or being used to it, even if he loves snow, its a fact that cold temperatures exacerbates certain medical conditions. Joints especially
    Again, I think if he's considering making a comeback, he wont' limit his list to warm weather teams. Cold temperatures do exacerbate some medical conditions, but there are only so many teams in the South. He's not going to go "that looks like a great job! but the weather would be bad for my joints...guess I better pass".

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously whats plan B if Phil says no.... everyone is talking like its a certainty. I guess its see what BC does next season....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Seriously whats plan B if Phil says no.... everyone is talking like its a certainty. I guess its see what BC does next season....
    Well, you just said it right there, it's an obvious one.

It's just speculation, but if Phil isn't acquired, plan B is let this plan BC has run.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, I think if he's considering making a comeback, he wont' limit his list to warm weather teams. Cold temperatures do exacerbate some medical conditions, but there are only so many teams in the South. He's not going to go "that looks like a great job! but the weather would be bad for my joints...guess I better pass".
    All i said is that its a factor, not the factor. plus with his kind of money he can afford heated everything, probably wearing heated boxers right now.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    MLSE has named a new president and it is a fantastic hire! I would see this as a step toward Colangelo being not renewed, but that is speculation on my part.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/m...-presidentceo/
    THAT IS HUUUUUGE NEWS!

So happy.

I am hoping Mitch Kupchak gets the axe!

The day I decide to stay off RR my hopes come true!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Some people are putting way too much weight on miniscule little factlets that are only there to give the pessimists something to talk about

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Here is the interview... Had to read some code but was pretty easy to find:

Interview
    Thanks!

That interview is awesome!

I am so excited right now!

Everything I write has an "!" after it!

This is awesome!

Someone who is a proven winner and expects to win!

"CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE WHAT WE LIVE FOR, NOW LETS GO WIN THEM!"
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Fully, you're wrong.
    I want Phil Jackson here as much as the next guy, I just don't think it will happen for the reasons I listed. I'm not wrong... All I did was list facts.. Half his joints are plastic and he has chronic issues with them, causing him to miss plenty of games during his coaching career. He loves it in California because his partner lives there and the weather is great for his body. If he decides to come here I'll gladly put my foot in my mouth. One tweet from Grange doesn't sway me at all though. What if Grange's unnamed "source" meant that half the year he spent in Montana was the summer? Don't forget that some people are in the business of hits.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors, Phil Jackson in the same line of rumor mill. You think, wtf man ? Anyway...

This guy, Leiweke, I believe can attract bigger exposure to Raptors basketball. I like this hiring.

Raptors Republic Starter hotfuzz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if Phil Jackson doesn't come to Toronto (I don't think he will), this is still great news!

One step closer to the end for BC!

I'm buying everyone a beer when BC is fired.
    "Duh! Winning"
    - Charlie Sheen

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information