Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    Even if Phil Jackson doesn't come to Toronto (I don't think he will), this is still great news!

One step closer to the end for BC!

I'm buying everyone a beer when BC is fired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    The way I see it, Phil was a coach not a player (MJ, Isiah Thomas) so those comparisons cannot be made. As a coach, Phil dealt with the intellectual side of basketball, and the psychological side of a basketball team. His utter success on both fronts shows that a mind like his is valuable at any position in any basketball team.
    A player turning GM is uncertain, because a good player does not have to be smart.
    Phil is smart, and knows how winning looks like. Expect a culture shift with him in charge.

I would love to see this be the line of execs

MLSE President: Tim Leiweke --> Raptors President: Phil Jackson --> Raptors GM: BryCo --> Raptors HC: Dwayne Casey

This team of executives is a great balance of good talent scouting, basketball smarts, executive/business smarts, and motivation to win.

Phil Jackson will basically have all the powers he wishes, can change the coach, can change the GM, and I have utter faith in his abilities to make the right moves.

Phil is certainly the top of class, right there with Pop, in terms of getting the most out of a basketball teams but what level of experience did he get in L.A. in terms of building? I asked this because the Buss' ruled that team and still do. It was their way or the highway and most analysts I've read concur on the fact that Phil isn't coaching the Lakers this year because Buss Jr. didn't want to give up power to Phil as he does want powers beyond coaching in his next role.

There is a big difference between selecting talent and managing talent, that's my personal opinion anyway.

I'm not saying he would fail, but I am trying to point out what I feel is an important aspect of this.

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Mould us Phil. We are your clay.
    This made me chuckle.

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Phil is not coming here.

He will basically have to sit on his hands for two years. They have no first rounder. No cap room. Little in tradable assets. With all due respect, he's 67 years old and has battled health problems in recent seasons. He's not taking a job where has to sit around for two seasons to start putting his fingerprints on it.
    The Raptors this time last year no doubt would be more marketable depending on what the executive was looking for.

I'm not convinced he's taking any position unless it's something with the Lakers again... I think he just likes the attention to a certain extent.
    Please elaborate on this one. Do you mean he's looking for a "big market" or nothing? I think you're underestimating how bright his star shines.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I want Phil Jackson here as much as the next guy, I just don't think it will happen for the reasons I listed. I'm not wrong... All I did was list facts.. Half his joints are plastic and he has chronic issues with them, causing him to miss plenty of games during his coaching career. He loves it in California because his partner lives there and the weather is great for his body. If he decides to come here I'll gladly put my foot in my mouth. One tweet from Grange doesn't sway me at all though. What if Grange's unnamed "source" meant that half the year he spent in Montana was the summer? Don't forget that some people are in the business of hits.
    Agree with this. I'm moving to California soon and can't wait to leave these Ontario winters behind......

But we can dream of Phil coming!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Just to throw it out there....

Jackson was born in Montana....went to college in North Dakota....spent his playing career in NY...and the first chunk of his coaching career in Chicago....why would he fear winter? I'm not suggesting it will necessarily play no part in any decision he makes, but there are few warm weather teams with the resources and opportunity he'd want, and those will play a bigger part than the weather in his decision...I'm sure by quite a wide margin.
    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Jackson lives in Montana, which is north of Toronto, latitude wise. Toronto winters are quite balmy compared to the average Montana winter.
    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Again, I think if he's considering making a comeback, he wont' limit his list to warm weather teams. Cold temperatures do exacerbate some medical conditions, but there are only so many teams in the South. He's not going to go "that looks like a great job! but the weather would be bad for my joints...guess I better pass".
    He was quoted a few years ago that he says Montana is "a dangerous place, not because of wild animals, but inclement weather". Just saying that it could very well be a big factor to him and his joints.
    Last edited by p00ka; Sat Apr 27th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

There are literally tens of thousands seniors with knee and/or hip replacements who live year round in the GTA. It's not a big deal after recovery and rehab. If Phil comes to live in Toronto he will go from his climate controlled luxury condo to his chauffeured car to the comfort of his office. It comes down to whether Phil wants to do this job, not Phil and the weather.

6. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil Jackson? it's ok to dream Raptors fans.

Chances of Phil coming to Toronto is as good as the Blue Jays chances of winning the WS this year.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post

Chances of Phil coming to Toronto is as good as the Blue Jays chances of winning the WS this year.
    Pretty good f*cking chances if you ask me
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

9. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just cant help but find it hilarious to think Toronto has Phil leading them and they suck and fans immediately start calling for Phils head, "why did we fire BC? omg Phil is a moron he has no idea what hes doing etc etc"

Toronto fans in a nutshell. same thing happened when Raps got Rudy.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I just cant help but find it hilarious to think Toronto has Phil leading them and they suck and fans immediately start calling for Phils head, "why did we fire BC? omg Phil is a moron he has no idea what hes doing etc etc"

Yeah, we are an impatient, granted, passionate bunch
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

12. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if Phil isn't successful here ( if we land him lol. ) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say "why did we fire BC".

===========

He is [Phil] interesting human being. I would love to see him somewhere in Raps team in any position, either coaching or somewhere in the front office?! I like him, he can bring some luck to this team. (Ahem.) For how long? That depends, we can't expect success like Lakers had with Phil, I doubt we'll make it ( yes I know the Raptors r making playoffs next year anyway ) to the 2nd round next or after next season ( but as a fan still think we can win all ) a lot of can change in these years, but the thing I like is that MLSE just shown 2day by hiring Leiweke - THE TIME FOR THE CHANGE IS NOW. Doesn't matter if we land Phil or not. It was time for the change, and the 1/4 of the part is changed. This is a good sign for the future. That is what I want to see after season like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Yeah, we are an impatient, granted, passionate bunch
    c'mon now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post

Chances of him coming? Definitely not great. Realistically IS there a chance he comes here? Yes, definitely.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Here is the interview... Had to read some code but was pretty easy to find:

Interview
    Thanks. Huge hire .. loved to listen to him. Rare to find a guy like this who actually gets ball, hockey and soccer (and football to boot!). Even if you think hes a bit of a name-dropper .. its impossible to deny that hes super connected.

Love the way he talks about winning .. love his passion. Think this is fantastic news for the raps.

Will PJ come here? Im not sure. I dont think its crazy though. One way or the other, this guy opens up the list of people who will want to come here .. and thats a good thing. Looking forward to seeing it play out!

Post Thanks / Like

my working theory at the moment is Tim is likely going to let BC finish his option year AND THEN clean house since a new GM won't have much flexibility until 2014/2015 (three large expiring contracts + picks again)

I think unless BC says something Tim don't like we are stuck for another year

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    my working theory at the moment is Tim is likely going to let BC finish his option year AND THEN clean house since a new GM won't have much flexibility until 2014/2015 (three large expiring contracts + picks again)

I think unless BC says something Tim don't like we are stuck for another year
    For a brief second I thought you were speaking in the 3rd person.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    He was quoted a few years ago that he says Montana is "a dangerous place, not because of wild animals, but inclement weather". Just saying that it could very well be a big factor to him and his joints.
    Hmmm....sounds like a joke to me. Sounds like the type of thing a born and bred kid from the hard country would say to mess with a bunch of city reporters because they're ignorant morons.

Seriously, there have already been rumours to what other teams? Cleveland (weather as bad and city much worse than TO)? Seattle (if you've ever had bone problems, I'll take -5 and dry over always +5 and soaking wet...that'll kill your joints and anywhere you've got scar tissue built up)?

I can't remember others. Saw a rumor for Charlotte too...which could be real, given MJ and how fucked up that team is, or could be fake, just because of MJ....I guess that's at least one warmer city.

He'll be working a high-paid office gig. It's not like he'll be facing blizzards every morning. Shit, executives spend a lot of time away from their teams as well. There's no reason to think that weather will be any factor. Frankly, if you've ever lived with or been around someone with chronic physical issues, traveling is a much bigger source of pain and frustration than weather. You can always turn up the heat and dress warm, but a schedule heavy on traveling is hard on the body, especially a damaged one. I'm sure that's probably the reason he won't coach again, because the schedule/travel is grueling.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Apr 27th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Phil Jackson in my honest opinion, is a credibility and respect move.

Obviously no one knows how successful of a GM he will be, but I personally feel that if this team were to give him a Pat Riley-esque role, that would definitely be in the right direction for this franchise, because of the fact we all know the coaching prowess and experience he brings. He knows how to deal with players, etc.

Being a coach to a team, you look at the collection of players, and depending on your system, or what you see out on the court, there is always something missing, and as the coach, what do you do? You create a game-plan to cover your weaknesses, or adjustments have to be made. As the GM, he will have large part of bringing in players to address those issues, which I think might be a huge asset for him as a GM. I have no doubt in my mind either that Phil Jackson at the very least knows half of the players on the roster, and a relationship with director of Sports Science, Alex Mckecknie and Leiweke.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Difference between BC and Phil, is that Phil is one of the greatest basketball minds ever. Like RaptorReuben said, this is a credibility move. I think this board understands greatness when they see it.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I want Phil Jackson here as much as the next guy, I just don't think it will happen for the reasons I listed. I'm not wrong... All I did was list facts.. Half his joints are plastic and he has chronic issues with them, causing him to miss plenty of games during his coaching career. He loves it in California because his partner lives there and the weather is great for his body. If he decides to come here I'll gladly put my foot in my mouth. One tweet from Grange doesn't sway me at all though. What if Grange's unnamed "source" meant that half the year he spent in Montana was the summer? Don't forget that some people are in the business of hits.
    Wow, you're delusional. "I don't believe that tweet because it doesn't agree with all the comments I've been posting." Did you know his partner also lives with him in Montana while he's there? If LA weather is good for his body, then why does he always recharge in Montana? You're vastly overestimating the impact of colder weather on Phil's joints to a point of comedy.

24. Like white men can't jump liked this post

Thread Information