Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

MLSE has named a new president and it is a fantastic hire! I would see this as a step toward Colangelo being not renewed, but that is speculation on my part.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mlse-hires-leiweke-as-new-presidentceo/
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Still a loooooong stretch, but I keep hearing Phil Jackson is looking for a front office job. Makes that rumour a little more realistic now at least.

Comment

I have read that as well, and until now have given no credence to the rumour. Could this be the delay in BC's option being picked up or rejected?

Leiweke will most likely want to put a stamp on the franchise relatively soon, and if anyone can brin Jackson to Toronto it would be him. If so, what an incredibly fascinating off season this is going to be!
      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

When does Colangelo's option have to be picked up by? Lieweke doesn't take over until June 30th, so it may be next season before any real changes are made. Also Phil Jackson has a friend Alex Mchenie in Toronto maybe he can persuade Phil to join here lol. From what Ive heard though Lieweke is known as one of the best at his position. Hopefully he makes some changes.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
          I have read that as well, and until now have given no credence to the rumour. Could this be the delay in BC's option being picked up or rejected?

Leiweke will most likely want to put a stamp on the franchise relatively soon, and if anyone can brin Jackson to Toronto it would be him. If so, what an incredibly fascinating off season this is going to be!
          He's not CEO until June 30, so if BC were to get fired, which I kinda doubt at this point, he has 2 months to attempt to save his job...

Comment

Why would anyone assume this guy has connections to, and influence over Jackson?

He was working for a group whose primary sports ventures were in MLS and NHL....So clearly, this isn't a hire with a mind toward basketball. I imagine this guy played absolutely no role in the operations of the Lakers, tightly handled by the Buss family and their own management team. IMO, this is a hire geared toward TFC and the Leafs, so who knows if it can have a positive impact on the Raptors?

Comment

This more or less secures the fact that BC and Casey are not getting fired at the moment. I really doubt Leiweke would make such a franchise changing decision right off the bat in case it actually backfires on him. He'll probably give it one season and see how they do. If we start of the season with a shitty record, I see Leiweke firing Casey. And if BC can't make a good splash during the trade deadline, I see BC getting fired and Stefanski getting the intern GM job!

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Why would anyone assume this guy has connections to, and influence over Jackson?

He was working for a group whose primary sports ventures were in MLS and NHL....So clearly, this isn't a hire with a mind toward basketball. I imagine this guy played absolutely no role in the operations of the Lakers, tightly handled by the Buss family and their own management team. IMO, this is a hire geared toward TFC and the Leafs, so who knows if it can have a positive impact on the Raptors?
                It wasn't just Los Angeles. He also worked in Denver and Minnesota. He's not a no-name guy. He has a good track record in pretty well all sports.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Previously he spent four seasons as President of the NBA's Denver Nuggets, where he also played a leading role in the development of the Pepsi Center. In 1988, Mr. Leiweke was the first employee hired by the NBA's Minnesota Timberwolves, serving as Vice President of the team as well as handling naming rights, marketing and sales for all events at the Target Center, before moving to Denver in 1991.
                  He does have some experience in the front office of NBA teams.

Comment

Raptors To Make Run At Phil Jackson?

Very interesting tweet by Marc Stein!
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

WHAT WHAT.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I don't think this changes much. Tanenbaum still owns part of MLSE.. he is friends with Colangelo, and therefore I don't see Colangelo leaving anytime soon (unfortunately).

Comment

Wholy crap! I like Stein.. he doesn't bullsh!t. This would be a pretty awesome coup for the Raptors.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I don't think this changes much. Tanenbaum still owns part of MLSE.. he is friends with Colangelo, and therefore I don't see Colangelo leaving anytime soon (unfortunately).
                            Even if Tanenbaum didn't own part of MLSE and Leiweke had full control, BC wouldn't be fired this season. I'd say he's here for one season max...

Comment

Literally the first thing I thought when they made this move.

Comment

Working...
                              X