View Poll Results: With Leiweke on baord, what happens to Colangelo now?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fired

    25 73.53%
  • Option picked up

    9 26.47%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 115

Thread: With Leiweke on board, what happens to Colangelo now?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default With Leiweke on board, what happens to Colangelo now?

    Addressing the status of Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo would appear to be one of the first tasks for Leiweke on the job. The team must decide whether or not to pick up its team option on Colangelo. It is believed Colangelo will present a plan to MLSE’s board of directors early next month.

    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ident-and-ceo/
    It is understood that Colangelo will have to make a presentation to the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment board in the coming days in hopes of getting his option picked up.

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...on-sources-say
    Can't find where I read it but BC meeting/presentation is May 7th. Wish I could find it.


    blackjitsu posted this interview:

    http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_deman...-Interview.mp3

    12:15 mark of interview

    Q: Do you have a role in the Bryan Colangelo extension?
    "I have a role in the Bryan Colangelo relationship and we'll see where that goes."

    Also should be noted that Leiweke is no NBA novice. Served as president of Nuggets for four seasons in addition to working for the Wolves.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Apr 26th, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we can't get Phil, he's definitely back.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    If we can't get Phil, he's definitely back.

    If he is serious about competing for championships, good bye BC.


    Crazy thought:

    With the hoopla, joy, and optimism a hiring of Leiweke's calibre, does this allow the Raptors/MLSE to fire Colangelo giving the time and opportunity to go in another direction (i.e. taking a step back to move multiple steps forward and chase championships) without total anarchy from Raptor fans?

    Lets face it, unless JV becomes a dominant, legendary, all-star I cannot see Toronto competing for championships in the next 4 years. Maybe they make 2nd/Conference Final run (I doubt it) but that would be it, not championships.


    By the way, I changed my signature so we never forget and raise our expectations above just making the playoffs.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If he is serious about competing for championships, good bye BC.


    Crazy thought:

    With the hoopla, joy, and optimism a hiring of Leiweke's calibre, does this allow the Raptors/MLSE to fire Colangelo giving the time and opportunity to go in another direction (i.e. taking a step back to move multiple steps forward and chase championships) without total anarchy from Raptor fans?

    Lets face it, unless JV becomes a dominant, legendary, all-star I cannot see Toronto competing for championships in the next 4 years. Maybe they make 2nd/Conference Final run (I doubt it) but that would be it, not championships.


    By the way, I changed my signature so we never forget and raise our expectations above just making the playoffs.
    Wait, I could've sworn you almost proposed to send JV + parts to LA for Dwight Howard (given the LA connection).
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    If we can't get Phil, he's definitely back.
    +1 my thoughts exactly.
    For The Win

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    If we can't get Phil, he's definitely back.
    If the Raptors can't get Phil(i don't think they can). I'd bring Colangelo back. I mean, he built this team. And i do believe he has a plan, so why not let him finish it??
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    If the Raptors can't get Phil(i don't think they can). I'd bring Colangelo back. I mean, he built this team. And i do believe he has a plan, so why not let him finish it??
    Because at the trade deadline he will Trade Bargnani for an over the hill veteran or an overrated youngster and than say they didn't have a training camp togheter and that the talent level on the team is ready to take the next step with a full training camp, depending how the season goes, he might also send half of the blame on casey who he will fire half way thru and say his new coach needs a full training camp.
    You see we can say this every year and BC does make excuses every year. What's so special in the coming year he couldn't do in 7 ? if anything he should be fired for waiting for his contract year to increase the talent level of the team like he likes to say.

    Every year the talent level of the team rises but raptors still underachieve...........BC needs to go.

    I hate him, i m not gonna lie, but i was all for him staying a year so the new GM doesnt blow up the team just yet, but when PHIL M!""/$&?%$ing Jackson is in the running for your job, boy you get desperate, and desperate people do desperate things.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    Because at the trade deadline he will Trade Bargnani for an over the hill veteran or an overrated youngster and than say they didn't have a training camp togheter and that the talent level on the team is ready to take the next step with a full training camp, depending how the season goes, he might also send half of the blame on casey who he will fire half way thru and say his new coach needs a full training camp.
    You see we can say this every year and BC does make excuses every year. What's so special in the coming year he couldn't do in 7 ? if anything he should be fired for waiting for his contract year to increase the talent level of the team like he likes to say.

    Every year the talent level of the team rises but raptors still underachieve...........BC needs to go.

    I hate him, i m not gonna lie, but i was all for him staying a year so the new GM doesnt blow up the team just yet, but when PHIL M!""/$&?%$ing Jackson is in the running for your job, boy you get desperate, and desperate people do desperate things.
    Don't think that happens. Call me naive, silly, foolish, or just stoopid but I think Leiweke can identify desperation and will not sign off on just any deal.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Don't think that happens. Call me naive, silly, foolish, or just stoopid but I think Leiweke can identify desperation and will not sign off on just any deal.
    Tim Leiweke is one of the most known world-wide executives, definitely a big deal. I would agree with the fact he definitely knows whatever the hell he is doing. Plus, I like the fact his approach is towards the Raptors right now.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    we egg his house!

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Will present a plan... 7 years of clear picture isn't enough yet. sadly.

  12. #12
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "With Leiweke on board, what happens to Colangelo now? "

    It depends on what the perceived interest is in the Raptors. They don't need to hit the market to get a sense for it. Let's not rule out the possibility of Leiweke having a casual dinner or round of golf with Phil or someone close to Phil if you get my drift...

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Crazy thought:

    With the hoopla, joy, and optimism a hiring of Leiweke's calibre, does this allow the Raptors/MLSE to fire Colangelo giving the time and opportunity to go in another direction (i.e. taking a step back to move multiple steps forward and chase championships) without total anarchy from Raptor fans?
    Sure, if we've learned nothing from the whole Colangelo era.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    "With Leiweke on board, what happens to Colangelo now? "

    It depends on what the perceived interest is in the Raptors. They don't need to hit the market to get a sense for it. Let's not rule out the possibility of Leiweke having a casual dinner or round of golf with Phil or someone close to Phil if you get my drift...



    Sure, if we've learned nothing from the whole Colangelo era.

    I don't think that is a stretch at all:

    On Phil Jackson rumours:
    "Phil and I talked this week, but only because he had heard the rumours about Toronto and just called me to say what a great city it is. It’s too early to speculate, I’m not going to deny that Phil and I are friends and that we had an amazing run here, but have been busier trying to get the agreement done. Will turn attention to the well-wishers and those offering to offer suggestions tomorrow. I’m going to reach out to all of the people I know in the NBA and ask them their opinion. I don’t think anyone has all the answers, so one of the thing I have to do is get up to speed on the Raptors and the decision the board has to make and give them the best decision I can.

    We didn’t have any of those conversations, nor was it appropriate until we had finalized a deal. He was calling to say best of luck. His fiancée, Jeannie, is still a very good friend of mine and I talk to him often. This was more about our relationship than anything."

    http://sulia.com/channel/toronto-rap...source=twitter
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A big thank you to Ryan Wolstat for transcribing Leiweke's conference call:

    And finally, Leiweke on where the Raptors go from here, including Bryan Colangelo and his option:

    "We need to build a culture that Jerry Buss and Jerry West built with theLakers. I don’t know if that requires change or not, we’re going to find out real quick.
    They want to win. They want that to be my highest priority. Got up every day trying to push everyone to winning championshps and that’s what we’re going to do now in Toronto. We won’t be crazy, and we won’t do stupid things, but there are teams in all the leagues that do stupid things and it comes back to haunt them. But, the Raptors have to aspire to be the Heat and the Lakers. A team and a city that people want to be a part of and that’s what we’re going to build. Same with the Maple Leafs.

    I know Bryan, I talked to Bryan today. I’m clearly not in a position to be the best one to make this decision, since I’m joining late and I’m not even going to be full-time when they make this decision. But, that said, the board is leaning on me to give a recommendation. I have been talking to a lot of people in the NBA to get their feeling and their opinions of what the Raptors are doing right and what the Raptors are doing wrong. Going to sit down next week and have a long chat. Never easy to step in and be a part of inheriting something.

    I don’t think it’s any question that the first action is going to be the Raptors. I wish I had more time, I wish I was there to make this decision, at the same time, we’ll do our homework and I’ll try to get up to speed as quickly as I can. I don’t think anyone’s happy with the Raptors being out of the playoffs as long as they have. We’re going to be very focused on that first and foremost and how to fix it. I come from the NBA, I’ve learned under the curve of Jerry Buss and Jerry West. You don’t find two better teachers than those two guys on how to build an organization that not only wins one championship, but becomes the dominant organization."

    http://sulia.com/channel/toronto-rap...source=twitter
    Goose bumps on that last line.

    I am probably going to be let down but it is nice to have optimism return. Haven't felt it since last year and there are many around here who have not felt it in years.... and probably still don't - lol.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  15. #15
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default And so it begins again...

    Colangelo said all kinds of wonderfully inspiring soundbites when he landed with the Raptors; it amounted to squat.

    I'm entering this phase highly skeptical. I've watched this team since day one, this isn't my first time witnessing the preludes to a "hanging" and a new appointment.

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think that is a stretch at all:
    Ah, there you have it.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Colangelo said all kinds of wonderfully inspiring soundbites when he landed with the Raptors; it amounted to squat.

    I'm entering this phase highly skeptical. I've watched this team since day one, this isn't my first time witnessing the preludes to a "hanging" and a new appointment.
    I know, really.

    Yet despite knowing history and having fallen once before "hook, line, sinker", I can't contain my enthusiasm - especially when he is putting it out there for all to hear the Raptors are priority #1.


    I think BC goes, Casey too.

    Phil is brought in to run the show and Shaw is hired.


    Triangle, here we come.

    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Apr 26th, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter bloodyhandedgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Colangelo said all kinds of wonderfully inspiring soundbites when he landed with the Raptors; it amounted to squat.

    I'm entering this phase highly skeptical. I've watched this team since day one, this isn't my first time witnessing the preludes to a "hanging" and a new appointment.



    Ah, there you have it.
    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I know, really.

    Yet despite knowing history and having fallen once before "hook, line, sinker", I can't contain my enthusiasm - especially when he is putting it out there for all to hear the Raptors are priority #1.


    I think BC goes, Casey too.

    Phil is brought in to run the show and Shaw is hired.


    Triangle, here we come.

    Politely. And something I do rarely.

    "Kill him. Kill him with guns."

    Goodbye BC. You've failed us for the last time.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    IF BC goes I dont think Casey will go right away he will be given a little leeway. However it will likely be a very small margin for error.

  19. #19
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Most GM's want to bring in their own guy when entering a new job; Sam Mitchell was not the norm.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    IF BC goes I dont think Casey will go right away he will be given a little leeway. However it will likely be a very small margin for error.
    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Most GM's want to bring in their own guy when entering a new job; Sam Mitchell was not the norm.
    for me this depends on if phil wants coaches to run his sytem. right now we have no idea what phil as president would do. would he observe for a year and see what he has got? (i doubt he is very familiar with the raptors personel and players) or would he walk in and clean house right away?

    mitchell would have been gone if he didn't win coach of the year when bc showed up and at bcs' first chance, he was gone.
    For The Win

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •